NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Overheating....
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Overheating....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Problems with my car!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ollie2003LS

Posts per day: 0.01

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject:  Overheating.... Reply with quote

My car has recently been overheating and I'm trying to figure out why. So many things have already been replaced within the past year or so. There is a new thermostat, new radiator cap, the upper and lower intake manifold gaskets and elbows were replaced less than a year ago, and the radiator was replaced only a couple of months ago. I've only noticed the temperature getting too high within the past week or so. I probably didn't notice this sooner because when the weather was cold and the heater was running everything was normal. This week the weather has been warm and I've been running the heater now just to make it home from work in the afternoon.

Since the overheating seems to happen sporadically we tried bleeding the system last night thinking it was probably an air bubble in the system. Well drove it around and it is still getting too hot. Some observations: I did notice some drips on the driveway that might have been coolant yesterday evening when backing the car out. The heater itself has been working well all winter, no problems with that. Checking with a flashlight last night there appeared to be some liquid (probably coolant) in the tray/pan under the engine near the water pump.

I'm hoping to figure out the problem before the weekend so I can work on it then. Thanks a bunch!
topgun
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.27

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject:  overheating Reply with quote

Maybe you answered your own question. Drips under the water pump. Get a small mirror and check the weep hole. Cool

98ss
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.26

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:18 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Sounds like you have the 3.8L. The rise and fall on the temp guage suggests an air bubble in the system. The car is actually not overheating, but the leak needs to be corrected. Take the water pump pulley and belt off to see if the leak more clearly if you think it is the water pump.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Problems with my car! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: