NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Hooniverse Article
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Hooniverse Article
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Almost Anything Goes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
outonthetiles
Member Level
Member Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.27

2000 Chevrolet Impala
1990 Volvo 240
2000 Buick Regal

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject:  Hooniverse Article Reply with quote

http://hooniverse.com/2012/02/.....d-a-k-car/

Their info is pretty much copied off wikipedia.. but it's still cool to see them do an article about the W-Body.

2000 Impala LS: Getrag 284 Swapped
20SS07
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 2.6

2009 Toyota Tacoma

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:26 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Cliff notes: GM uses terribly out of date platforms. Can't wait til the new Impala comes out so the w-body is officially dead forever.

Jesus created the internet and puppies and dandelions and kittens and sunny days and lollipops and impalas and turbochargers and pizza and beer and wings and boobies and blowjobs and pizza and pizza and pizza and beer and snow days and football and cheerleaders and drag radials and nascar and everything else that's awesome.

whitelightnin04MC wrote:
It's hard to find retards of this quality in such masses. It's truly amazing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 1.95

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

20SS07 wrote:
Cliff notes: GM uses terribly out of date platforms. Can't wait til the new Impala comes out so the w-body is officially dead forever.

But you still bought one. Razz

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
20SS07
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2009 Toyota Tacoma

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

At least mine had 300hp. Laughing Besides, it only took me 2 years to realize my error unlike some of the folks here who are on there like 12th w-body lol.

Jesus created the internet and puppies and dandelions and kittens and sunny days and lollipops and impalas and turbochargers and pizza and beer and wings and boobies and blowjobs and pizza and pizza and pizza and beer and snow days and football and cheerleaders and drag radials and nascar and everything else that's awesome.

whitelightnin04MC wrote:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
outonthetiles
Member Level
Member Level

2000 Chevrolet Impala
1990 Volvo 240
2000 Buick Regal

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

You frequent a w-body site to bitch every time someone says they like their w-body. We know what are cars are. Tell us we're morons some more.

Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

Posts per day: 2.31

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Yes, the w-body is old hat.
Yes, there are far better platforms.
Yes, there are far newer platforms.

No, you won't take advantage of the better handling of other platforms while doing 15 miles an hour on the turnpike during rushhour.

No they're not significantly more comfortable than the wbody.

No, most drivers don't have a clue what the difference is between a 40-year old body-on-frame vs new unibody chassis.

If I roll 10 new car buyers under a car, nine can't tell their ass from their elbow under there. What's the big deal - do you want to pay the cost for a new platform when an old one carries a ho-hum car around just fine?

The Impala isn't a sportscar, it doesn't need to be high-tech or revolutionary, and it doesn't even try to compete with the vehicles our previous owners here usually buy (trucks, WRXs, BMWs, Mercedes, etc)

If there's any reason I can't wait until the W-body is killed for good, it's so people will shut the hell up about it already. You don't like it, buy something else, move along. Nothing to see here.

Good find on the article, but it doesn't really have a point. I don't follow hooniverse so maybe that's just the type of stuff they produce.

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.58

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Lingenfelter wrote:

The Impala isn't a sportscar, it doesn't need to be high-tech or revolutionary, and it doesn't even try to compete with the vehicles our previous owners here usually buy (trucks, WRXs, BMWs, Mercedes, etc)

If there's any reason I can't wait until the W-body is killed for good, it's so people will shut the hell up about it already. You don't like it, buy something else, move along. Nothing to see here.

While I agree with you on most of your points, the issue some of the membership here seem to have is that people talk Impalas up like they are a sports car (one egregious example that comes to mind is the guy that swore up and down that his 9C1 was more balanced than an WRX). While there is nothing wrong with enjoying the car you drive, I feel it's well within the bounds of a forum for people to tell off people that are deluding themselves into believe something that is patently untrue.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
20SS07
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2009 Toyota Tacoma

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

First off, this is the internet, don't post if you're going to cry when someone disagrees with you.

As far as people not knowing the difference, by that logic, no auto manufacturer should invest any money in innovation and new platforms. Every vehicle should just be a boring transportation appliance. Yes, the w-body platform carries around a "ho-hum" car around just fine. Wont argue there. But if that's all you ever want the Impala to be is a ho-hum uncompetitive car in it's class that only survives because of fleet sales and people needing cheap transportation in the used market then I apologize for daring to say they should make the Impala competitive. This website has turned into a giant excuse for the Impala. Forget the fact that the platform the new Impala will be built on actually already exists, just keep the Impala on the w-body platform because ho-hum is just as we like it. Cars have been riding on variations of the new platform so the excuse that they shouldn't dump money into a new platform holds no merit.

And for the record, I don't come on here to trash people who like their car. Do I go into every post where someone says hey I got my new exhaust on and call them a moron for spending money on an Impala? Absolutely not. I only chime up when people want to make ridiculous claims about what this car is not(as iffy eluded to). Everyone wants to keep saying the Impala isn't a sportscar, it's not this, it's not that. Well no s**t, you're not the people anyone being critical of the w-body are directing comments towards. I have zero problem with someone making their car their own, whatever that car is. Is the Impala cheap, generally reliable transportation? Yes. Are they easy to work on? Yes. Did mine serve it's job well as a daily driver while I had it? Absolutely, and I've mentioned that numerous times on here. That doesn't make it a "great" car though.

Personally I really hope the new Impala will be a great car that's competitive in it's segment and it's quite baffling why there is so much push it seems to moving towards a new platform. It's like no one here wants the Impala to change, unless they make it RWD and shove a 400hp V8 under the hood.

whitelightnin04MC wrote:
outonthetiles
Member Level
Member Level

2000 Chevrolet Impala
1990 Volvo 240
2000 Buick Regal

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Who made any ridiculous claims?

Sure, the w-body is no performer, but what makes a 2000 Camry any better than a 2000 Impala? Nothing. I don't care for the 06+ impalas, but I maintain that my 2000 Impala is a great car. It does everything it needs to do, and cheaply.

PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 1.95

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

20SS07 wrote:
And for the record, I don't come on here to trash people who like their car.

Look at your first comment. It was completely irrelevant to the OP's post. He wasn't glorifying the Impala in anyway and you said:

20SS07 wrote:

Wasn't really necessary was it and little hypocritical.

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
20SS07
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2009 Toyota Tacoma

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

@outonthetiles

In this thread? No one. I'll give you that. But we just speak in general. There are PLENTY of threads in here where people make the Impala seem like it's some ridiculously awesome performance platform.

@pushrod

Did you bother to even read the article he posted? It talked about how the w-body and k-body were two of the longest used platforms that was only just killed with the k-body on Cadillacs end and the w-body still going on with the Impala. That wasn't meant as a compliment to GM. Other then perhaps commenting in a snarky fashion I don't see how my comment had nothing to do with the article he posted.

Maybe I should take a page out of helldo's book a couple years ago and just go out of my way to be annoyingly nice so everyone can hug and be happy. Laughing

whitelightnin04MC wrote:
BlackVenom
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.53

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Sometimes the comments are better than the article.

"Why can't we be friends? Why can't we be friends?"

Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Well, sounds like we all agree, more or less, on what the Impala is and isn't.

I think that criticism has it's place and reply #1 didn't really need to appear - in this thread. OP is obviously a big fan of his car, as is obvious from some of his threads, but he was just linking something of interest to the community - although the link didn't really carry much real merit for it's content.

If someone really likes their car and is blatently throwing out misinformation about how great it is, go ahead and knock 'em off their pedestal, but can't we limit that to the threads that really deserve it?

The fact is that the w-body is on the outs as it is, and it'll be replaced by another platform, significantly younger and undoubtedly better engineered, in time. GM has several other models which are good options for those who specifically don't want a w-body. That being said, the vast majority of the buying public is not walking into the showroom and going "WTF, a W-Body? I'm outta here."

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
helldorado
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

Posts per day: 2.52

2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2005 Infiniti G35
2008 Subaru Impreza
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2013 Toyota Space Cruiser

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Lingenfelter wrote:
That being said, the vast majority of the buying public is not walking into the showroom and going "WTF, a W-Body? I'm outta here."

Not in so many words, but when you compare a 2012 Impala to the competing beige-mobiles from Toyota, Honda, Ford, etc... the Impala does not hold up. Those who buy new are either fleets or those who are either woefully uninformed or needlessly loyal to Chevy / GM.

12 years ago, a 2000 Impala was a much more competitive vehicle in the market, but 12 years is a lifetime in the automotive industry. But when I was a teenager, my 12 year old minivan was the f***ing s**t. I was a dumbass teenager, had no money and it was a goddamn car. I wasted money on system, rims, paint, etc... until the transmission blew and it was worth nothing. Yep, I was an w-body Impala owner before it was cool to be one or the 2000+ Impala even existed. Laughing

20SS07 wrote:
Maybe I should take a page out of helldo's book a couple years ago and just go out of my way to be annoyingly nice so everyone can hug and be happy. Laughing

You rang?

PS. If anybody doesn't understand what hooniverse was saying, they basically explained why GM went bankrupt in the first place. Having the oldest platforms is usually not an advantage when other manufacturers are improving their biggest selling models by leaps and bounds.

Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:52 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

helldorado wrote:
Lingenfelter wrote:
That being said, the vast majority of the buying public is not walking into the showroom and going "WTF, a W-Body? I'm outta here."

Not in so many words, but when you compare a 2012 Impala to the competing beige-mobiles from Toyota, Honda, Ford, etc... the Impala does not hold up

Not to defend the Impala.... I am pretty unlikely to buy another Impala anyway, but strictly talking chassis, how would it not stack up in the test drives? I don't think many in the vanilla buyer segment are looking at handling capabilities, presumably more likely ride quality/ NVH.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Almost Anything Goes All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: