NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - High charging rate
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

High charging rate

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slimbelly1

Posts per day: 0

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject:  High charging rate Reply with quote

Hello all! New to NAIOA. I have a problem - my 2000 Impala is charging at a high voltage. I have changed the alternator, battery, did the 'big 3', checked fuses, and cleaned grounds. The voltage at the battery reads 11.5 - 12.5 volts before starting (car starts fine evertime). After it is running, the voltage steadily climbs from 14.5 to 18 volts, effectively killing my lights and dash, until either the car warms up or I turn it off. The car continues to run, although it feels like it is in "limp-home mode". I took it to 2 different Advance Auto Parts who both said battery and alternator was good, although the car was acting fine both times. I hooked up a voltmeter to it the last time it jumped and got 17 volts straight from the mew alternator. It has been suggested that the PCM or BCM may be going bad. I know the PCM controls the regulation of the alternator because I unplugged the connector before starting one time and got no charging out of the alternator. Any comments and suggestions on this matter will be appreciated...M
topgun
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.27

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject:  high charging Reply with quote

What is the voltage at the battery when engine running? idle and increased rpm's. Cool

slimbelly1

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:52 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Voltage at the battery measures the same from alternator while running - about 17-18 volts, and stay the same at varied rpm's...
topgun
Resident
Resident

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:02 pm    Post subject:  High charging Reply with quote

I would say something is up with the voltage regulator in the alternator. (yes, even though it's new). Cool

slimbelly1

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:33 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I did take it off the car to get it tested at Advance, and just like the old one it tested good - the battery also tested good
davidhoutz
Uber
Uber

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:02 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Just throwing this out there. Do you have a cap on your stereo that could be back feeding it somehow? Don't know if its even possible, but its all I can think of.
slimbelly1

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:20 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I do not have any stereo equipment other than the stock radio installed...I did recently find the wiring harness loom going down the back of the engine from which the alt. plug goes into has become brittle and has fallen off. I will try to get behind there and inspect/repair/rewire it if possible. Thx for all the help...
slimbelly1

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:10 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Update: I tested the connector harness to the alternator to verify it was receiving a signal from the PCM. Turns out I was getting only 9 volts thru the SENSE wire. I had disconneced this wire from the connector harness and reconnected the harness to the alternator. I now get a constant 14 volts from the alternator, regardless of RPMs.
ScottMPala
Member Level
Member Level
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 0.48

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:43 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

slimbelly1 wrote:
Update: I tested the connector harness to the alternator to verify it was receiving a signal from the PCM. Turns out I was getting only 9 volts thru the SENSE wire. I had disconneced this wire from the connector harness and reconnected the harness to the alternator. I now get a constant 14 volts from the alternator, regardless of RPMs.

By sense wire you mean one of the 2 wires on the voltage regulator plug? Mine only has 4.5 volts and ive been having trouble with my alternator not putting out 14v. Should that wire have 12v?

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:17 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Yes the voltage regulator plug, if you will. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong, the FIELD wire should be about 4.5 volts, and the SENSE wire should be 14volts when running. I just happen to have disconnected the SENSE wire to test it and plugged the connector harness into the alternator, started the car and got the steady 14 volts...go figure...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: