NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Ideas on trunk setup
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Ideas on trunk setup
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Audio / Video Club
View previous topic :: View next topic  
barnettimpala
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.54

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix
2003 Pontiac Grand Prix

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:57 am    Post subject:  Ideas on trunk setup Reply with quote

Hey guys. I've been collecting equipment to redo my system. I was looking for input on how I should set everything up. I want something that looks really nice. Willing to work with any material, and any level or difficulty. Basically want to go all out. Was thinking of doing a fiberglass box along the passenger side for the sub and a fiberglass amp rack on the driver's side. I really wanted to keep the use of the trunk, which means as much space as possible and ablility to told seats down and have access through there. So throw all the ideas you have out there. Even post pictures of cool setups if you like. Any opinions or advice on doing my system is appreciated.
Here's the equipment I have so far for the system:
HU: Pioneer AV-H3200BT
Front speakers: Eclipse SC6500, 2-way components
Rear speakers: Eclipse SE6900, 4-ways
Highs amp: Eclipse EA4000, 75x4 rms @ 4ohms
Sub: Eclipse 15" Titanium series, rated at 750rms @ 2ohms, people run 1500 rms daily at it
Sub amp: Eclipse XA1000, 480 rms @ 2ohms

Anybody who has input on what other stuff I should do, please let me know. I plan on doing the big 3 in 0 gauge. And will probably build a simple box for now to see how it does on my current amp. Still very undecided on sealed or ported.
Basically, my goal is a great overall sounding system, that can hit the lows like no other, and be significantly louder than my current sub, which is an Eclipse 10" Aluminum series in a sealed box.
So much stuff to think about and research. Can't forget about sound deadening. I was thinking about using expanding foam in the rear quaters in the trunk, and in the spaces in the trunk lid. Then laying some kind of mat over everything. Also don't know about extra batteries. Calling all the audiophiles!!

2002 Impala- SSC, AGX, 18" charger R/t rims w/8mm spacers, Magnaflow cat, U-bend delete, flowmaster 80 series crossflow, z28 tips, HAI, debadged, 35% tint, smoked headlights, full sound system
davidhoutz
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.28

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:54 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Are you tossing the spare tire? That's where I put my amps. Then I made a new lid for the top with a metal screen for air movement. If you use spray foam in the trunk lid make sure you use the stuff in a blue can, its meant for door jambs and windows. It wont push things out of place. As far as sound deadening, I'll never use dynamat again...or any peel and stick for that matter. Weighs too much. http://secondskinaudio.com/ <<<Look at their spectrum line. Much lighter, gets in more places and costs less, and is stronger. I'm on the fifth system in my car now. Three of them I had amps behind the seat. Didn't like that at all. I use my trunk all the time and stuff would hit them all the time. In the tire well works great for me. My seats also don't fold down so I could design my box a little different because of that. I also have three 10's. I built a fiberglass box this last time. Like it better just because its lighter than my old wood one.
That's all I can think of right now. Gotta meet up with a friend now anyway. Are you getting a bigger Alt? Don't forget to use the right size wire for all the different speakers. Keep your amp ground as short as possible. Take your time. And If I was going to do it all over again, I would have built seperate boxes for my rear speakers. That's where you get a lot of that tight "thud" from.
barnettimpala
Member Level
Member Level

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix
2003 Pontiac Grand Prix

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:44 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I intended on keeping the spare, and if it has to come down to it, I could make a smaller cover to still be able to pull out if the box covers too much of the factory one. Thanks for telling me about the expanding foam! Damn I woulda used the big gap filler b/c that's what I'm using for the fenders and I didn't even think about it. That woulda been bad!
I was looking at that roll on stuff. Have you used it yet? Only reason I didn't buy it already is b/c its just so hard to believe that that thin of a layer of it can do as good as a mat. But if I can get first hand opinion or see it or something, I'd be willing to give it a try.
I know which alternator I'm getting if I end up needing it. It's 220 amp, can't remember where it's from. Also, the wiring will depend on what amp I end up going with. I want to just progress at first in finding out how the sub does on my current amp, upgrade the amp if needed, which probably will be the case, upgrade the wire as needed for that, and after all of that and testing the sub out in different types of boxes, I can know where I need to be at electrial wise and build my final box.
That brings up another point... What type of box, in general, best fits my wants? Low end monster, but still has some punch, and overall just the best possible sound, flat response, etc.

2002 Impala- SSC, AGX, 18" charger R/t rims w/8mm spacers, Magnaflow cat, U-bend delete, flowmaster 80 series crossflow, z28 tips, HAI, debadged, 35% tint, smoked headlights, full sound system
gg05impala
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.48

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1986 Nissan 300ZX

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

the spare tire actually helps with a read end collision. I was thinking of taking out my spare also, but some people chimed in saying it was not such a good idea.

Audio: Kicker 1000.1zx, Kicker 12" L5 x2, Kicker 350.4, Pioneer TSD1602R x2, JVC xg-700, custom tuned box 33.8hz
Performance - lead foot in my 3.4L is all I have
davidhoutz
Uber
Uber

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:54 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I haven't used a roll on sound deadener. But I've sprayed spectrum before. It goes on as thick as Dynamat Extreme and a gallon covers as much as a bulk pack. And when it dries I think a gallon weighs around 7 lbs. A bulk pack of dynamat weighs what...over 40 lbs I'm sure. The only down side to it is you have to let it dry. But if you throw a fan on it it'll dry in a day. The box and sound is all up to you and what the sub requires. Some subs aren't meant for sealed boxes and others not meant for ported. I like sealed because they tend to need less space than a ported box. And sometimes designing a ported box is a pain in the butt. And unless you have a wagon, van, or truck, there's never a good place to angle the port. I like sealed boxes and have 10's because I like that really tight bass. But it all comes down to how you want to listen to the music.
gg05impala
Member Level
Member Level

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1986 Nissan 300ZX

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:58 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

When you do the Big 3, take pictures and post a write up like TwoTones, since his pictures no longer are available. Im sure it would help some people out, like myself Cool

Audio: Kicker 1000.1zx, Kicker 12" L5 x2, Kicker 350.4, Pioneer TSD1602R x2, JVC xg-700, custom tuned box 33.8hz
BlackVenom
Member Level
Member Level

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:19 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

gg05impala wrote:
When you do the Big 3, take pictures and post a write up like TwoTones, since his pictures no longer are available. Im sure it would help some people out, like myself Cool

Can you link me to his thread? I know I saved his pics somewhere on my computer.... will look.

gg05impala
Member Level
Member Level

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1986 Nissan 300ZX

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:26 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

this is the sticky, i dont know where the original thread is.

http://www.naioa.com/v2/module.....mp;t=20267

barnettimpala
Member Level
Member Level

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix
2003 Pontiac Grand Prix

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

davidhoutz wrote:
I haven't used a roll on sound deadener. But I've sprayed spectrum before. It goes on as thick as Dynamat Extreme and a gallon covers as much as a bulk pack. And when it dries I think a gallon weighs around 7 lbs. A bulk pack of dynamat weighs what...over 40 lbs I'm sure. The only down side to it is you have to let it dry. But if you throw a fan on it it'll dry in a day. The box and sound is all up to you and what the sub requires. Some subs aren't meant for sealed boxes and others not meant for ported. I like sealed because they tend to need less space than a ported box. And sometimes designing a ported box is a pain in the butt. And unless you have a wagon, van, or truck, there's never a good place to angle the port. I like sealed boxes and have 10's because I like that really tight bass. But it all comes down to how you want to listen to the music.

You have used Spectrum? What do you think of it? Work as good as other stuff? It really goes on as thick as Extreme holy crap. Was that 3 layers?
I like tight punchy bass, like the sound of a kick drum, but then again I also like insane lows. Is there a way to have both? Like a 10 and a 15? I will consider anything. Any ideas on this? The 15" I was going to put in has specs for both ported and sealed. I also know size required for both, just depending on the sound I'm looking for is what box I'll go with. Any input is great.
Thanks, Randell

davidhoutz
Uber
Uber

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I've used spectrum but never another product that was like it. And yes, its way better than dynamat extreme. I belive 1 gallon covers 40 sq/ft at the same sound deadening thickness as 36 sq/ft of dynamat extreme. What worked well for me when spraying was to roughly measure out 40 sq/ft of what your spraying. Then do 1 pass and try to use 1/2 gallon. This way you get a feel for how to spray it and see how fast you need to move with it. It works well to spray the inside of you speaker box too.
As far as the sound goes...this is all up to you. But If I had your stuff and my ears, I'd put the 15 in the middle of the rear seat facing in. Put it in a sealed box to save space and to get a tigher bass from it. But being a 15 you'll also get some of that low end "sloppy" bass anyways. I'd put four 8's in the rear deck in a box. That's where you'll get more of that thud sound than a thump sound. I'd box in, the best you can anyway, the door speakers because you'll get a little kick out of them as well. And I put a false wall behind my box to help keep the sound in the car and to make it look better. I'm still waiting for a little warmer weather so I can finish peeling the dynamat off the trunk lid. Had so much on there the lid shut itself all the time.
barnettimpala
Member Level
Member Level

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix
2003 Pontiac Grand Prix

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

So spectrum sound deadens just as good as dynamat too? If so, I'm sold. They recommend 2 layers so I'll probably do that. As far as spraying, my initial plan was to paint it on with a brush and roller. What do you think of that? I've never used a spray gun before. Working on a local group buy and if it goes thru, I'm gonna get 5 gallons of it for $236. Would you recommend other products as well or would using spectrum everywhere be a good idea?
So a box facing in to the car will be best? Wouldn't I always have to have my seats folded down in that case? And now that you describe the 8's, that thud sound is what I really like, but with a combination of low end when it's in the song. Maybe I should invest in some 8's too?

davidhoutz
Uber
Uber

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I wouldn't roll on or brush spectum. Its too hard to get an even coat of it that way. Plus all the nooks and tight corners that you could never reach. Just spray it. Its hard to mess it up. But it would be worth it to by their gun. I used a regular cup sprayer and it kept clogging it. Or just by a sprayer with a bigger tip. But I think their gun was pretty cheap last time I looked. Like $25 -30 I think. Its not like painting a car where everything you do or don't do ends up showing up. Its more like spraying a truck bed. It comes out textured. When it dries, it'll look like the walls in your house. Just some stipple everywhere. I think its a much better product than Dynamat. Like I said I'll never use Dynamat again. You can add on top of it with more of their products (I've never used the other stuff) but that can get costly really quick.

A box facing in or out is up to you. Its an ongoing dispute on this forum which is better. I like it in because I want the sound in the car and not bouncing all over the trunk. I've had it both ways with all my setups. I also use my trunk and didn't want to kill a speaker from stuff flying around. And I think its a cleaner look. I'm not the fancy "Oh look at everything I put in my car" kinda guy. When I crank it, I like when people try to figure it out 'cause they didn't see any subs or amps in the trunk. And it helps a little to keep possible thieves away if you open your trunk a lot like I do. Shopping and stuff I mean. I would hate to leave a shopping center, go out to my car and see the trunk open and stereo gone.

And I would ditch the speakers you have for the rear and get four 8's and a set of dome tweeters.
barnettimpala
Member Level
Member Level

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix
2003 Pontiac Grand Prix

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Actually just remembered we have an electric paint sprayer at work. You think that would work good. It's just been used to paint latex paint on houses. The tip looks pretty small, so that's why I didn't know if it would work. As far as applying it, would I just tape and put plastic everywhere I don't want it? Sounds like it would be a little messy. And what about wires, window regulators, lock moving parts, etc. what's the best way to do that?
I am the kind of person that likes it to look cool lol. Not just for everyone else, I just take pride in a cool looking setup.
What do you think of a 4th order setup, using the trunk as the ported area and having two ports thru the rear deck? I could seal off everything as good as possible, using a lot of deadener, putting weatherstripping on the back of the rear seats, sealing off the rear deck. It seems like it would be the best combination of punch, lows, and flat response that I'm looking for. One of my friends just walled his car with a 4th order and my god does it sound good. Cleaner punch than a sealed, while still reaching well into the low end. Give me all your advice and opinions on this Smile

davidhoutz
Uber
Uber

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Your electric sprayer might work. The nozzle end of the tip is going to look small but it just has to be a certain size. If you check out the web site it might tell you what size to use. I think I had too small a tip which is why it kept clogging. But if it was used painting houses with uncut latex it should be fine. Worse case, you get the spectrum, tip ain't right, run to the store and get a new tip.

Wires I sprayed in place. Didn't want them to rattle next to things. You could take the time and remove the window and all the moving parts. If I had to do it again I would do it that way. I used cardboard cut-outs and just placed them over things. Wasn't to worried about a little overspray. It didn't hurt anything, just be carefull not to heavily spray something you dont want to. Cover the rest of the car. Stuff comes off easy when wet but not when dry. It doesn't overspray like paint, it's thicker. But your only doing it once so just do it right when it comes to covering the car.

The 4th order setup is going to be tricky. If you use your whole trunk as a box your never going to get it to seal right unless you bolt the trunk lid in place and spray the crap out of it from the inside to seal all air leaks. Upside of that is it would be AWESOME!!! Downside...you never get to use your trunk. If you do a bandpass with ports out the rear deck...its iffy. Your not talking huge SPL so you don't have to worry about blowing out the back window. (I've seen that happen once) It's all the tuning and getting the ports right, getting the box size right, keeping that whooshing sound of air that hits the rear windshield from happening. Just a lot of hastle...for me anyway.

I think, and take this with a grain of salt, that your over thinking things. Your not doing everything at once. And I mean your not doing everything in a few hours and then your done. Its going to take time.

Short story then I'm eating diner. I'm a pyro by heart. LOVE shooting firework displays. Back in 2007 I was asked to put on a display. I spent month's planning, watching videos, timing everything, getting advice from everybody, drawing huge boards of how I was going to set everything up. Days before the setup a friend from AZ flew in to help me out. Took over 8 hours a day for 3 days to wire and fuse everything up. Day of the shoot (4th July)...shoot was suppose to last about 35 minutes. Lasted 22. Forgot 1 small little thing. My 2mm fuse burned faster than my 3mm fuse. $h!t happens. You forget things. But when it was all said and done, my 22 minute display ended up better then what I planned. At one small point (small point in firework displays is like 15 seconds) I had over 100 shells in the air at the same time. 100+ shells per second that is. Called a sky puke or false finale.
This is why I'm on the 5th stereo. I've learned what I like. Plus, your not going to really know how to adjust the settings on everything until you cruise around for awhile and just listen to it.
amoffitt
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.49

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2003 Infiniti G35
2007 BMW 3 Series
2009 Mercedes-Benz C Class

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:28 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

If you have need for an amp i have my Rockford Fosgate T10001BD Amp for sale...PM or something if you're interested.

Vehicles:
2003 Chevy Impala- Current, 2003 Infiniti G35 Coupe- Sold, 2007 Yamaha R6s- Sold, 2007 BMW 335i- Current, 2008 Yamaha R1- Current
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Audio / Video Club All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: