NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Time for front end overhaul?
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Time for front end overhaul?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension
View previous topic :: View next topic  
barnettimpala
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.53

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix
2003 Pontiac Grand Prix

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject:  Time for front end overhaul? Reply with quote

Got quite a few questions for you guys.
-Was told by the alignment shop I need a new passenger outer end link. First off, should I replace both the outer and inner? And second, where's best to buy it from, or at least what are my options?
-My driver's side inner cv boot is throw grease. I have yet to find the rip in the boot, almost seems like its coming from behind the boot. I was told they make universal boot kits that you can replace it with. Should I do this or buy a new axle? It's not making any noises, or at least I don't think so because the steering clunks some from the ISS, but I've never heard clicking. If you do think I should replace it, where should I get it from?
-Awhile ago I was getting a noise from the front end, which I believed was a bad strut mount, it would make a rattle noise when i went over really bumpy roads. After I put on my new struts, mounts, and springs, it is still doing this. What are some things I can check? Control arm bushings?
-I am still having the issue of my car making a rubbery creaking noise when I turn sometimes after installing the new suspension. It only does it at certain times. When I parallel, when I leave in the morning, when I back out of my g/f's driveway, and overall, only happenes when I turn right at low speeds. The tire isn't rubbing anything that I can tell, so what else could it be?
-Also I am thinking of doing some small upgrades now that I've lowered it with stiffer springs, Im really enjoying cornering at decent speeds. What do you guys suggest I could do? Was thinking either sway bars, trailing arms, rear strut bar. I don't think I need to do all of these, but what benefits handling the most?
Also for reference to any of these issues, I have an '02 3.4, 101k miles, AGX struts with SSC springs, and all other components are stock.
Thanks in advance!

2002 Impala- SSC, AGX, 18" charger R/t rims w/8mm spacers, Magnaflow cat, U-bend delete, flowmaster 80 series crossflow, z28 tips, HAI, debadged, 35% tint, smoked headlights, full sound system
outonthetiles
Member Level
Member Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.27

2000 Chevrolet Impala
1990 Volvo 240
2000 Buick Regal

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The inner tie rod ends very rarely go bad, I would just replace the outer. For the CV, most people just replace the entire shaft, you can get them relatively cheap with a lifetime warrenty. I would wait to replace it until it is making noise or vibrations. Not sure about your other noises, maybe try torquing the subframe bolts? If your control arm bushings were bad you would be able to visibly see it. I would reccomend a rear strut tower bar as a cheap suspension upgrade. The GMPP sway bars are also a great upgrade.

2000 Impala LS: Getrag 284 Swapped
barnettimpala
Member Level
Member Level

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix
2003 Pontiac Grand Prix

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I forgot about the subframe bolt issue. Where are they even? And what torque? As for the control arm bushings, I don't even know how to tell if they look bad. I'm definitely not a suspension guy

2002 Impala- SSC, AGX, 18" charger R/t rims w/8mm spacers, Magnaflow cat, U-bend delete, flowmaster 80 series crossflow, z28 tips, HAI, debadged, 35% tint, smoked headlights, full sound system
outonthetiles
Member Level
Member Level

2000 Chevrolet Impala
1990 Volvo 240
2000 Buick Regal

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

They are at the four corners of the subframe, just look underneath and you'll see them. I can find out the torque specs later, or you can look in the knowledge database I'm sure its there. For the control arm bushings, just inspect them. Usually the front ones will pop out of the control arms, or will have dry rot cracks in them. If they don't look right, they probably aren't right. Most would recommend replacing the entire control arm if they are bad. For your rattling noise, that seems sway bar related. Check your end links and inner bushings, and inspect the ends of the sway bar. They sometime crack at either end where they bolt to the end links.

barnettimpala
Member Level
Member Level

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix
2003 Pontiac Grand Prix

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:17 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I'll have to take a look at the control arm bushings and sway bar and end links later today. As far as the tie rod end, what's best? I see there's greaseable, non-greaseable, non adjustable, adjustable, and the different brands. What's best? Need to get it soonest because new tires are coming in tomorrow!! Cool

outonthetiles
Member Level
Member Level

2000 Chevrolet Impala
1990 Volvo 240
2000 Buick Regal

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:30 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I've had good luck with moog tie rod ends. They have grease fittings on them. They all should be adjustable because they screw on to the tie rod in and out adjusting your toe in or out. If you're unsure about your control arm bushings, take some pics and post them up.

IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.6

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:05 am    Post subject:  Re: Time for front end overhaul? Reply with quote

barnettimpala wrote:
Got quite a few questions for you guys.
-Was told by the alignment shop I need a new passenger outer end link. First off, should I replace both the outer and inner? And second, where's best to buy it from, or at least what are my options?
-My driver's side inner cv boot is throw grease. I have yet to find the rip in the boot, almost seems like its coming from behind the boot. I was told they make universal boot kits that you can replace it with. Should I do this or buy a new axle? It's not making any noises, or at least I don't think so because the steering clunks some from the ISS, but I've never heard clicking. If you do think I should replace it, where should I get it from?
-Awhile ago I was getting a noise from the front end, which I believed was a bad strut mount, it would make a rattle noise when i went over really bumpy roads. After I put on my new struts, mounts, and springs, it is still doing this. What are some things I can check? Control arm bushings?
-I am still having the issue of my car making a rubbery creaking noise when I turn sometimes after installing the new suspension. It only does it at certain times. When I parallel, when I leave in the morning, when I back out of my g/f's driveway, and overall, only happenes when I turn right at low speeds. The tire isn't rubbing anything that I can tell, so what else could it be?
-Also I am thinking of doing some small upgrades now that I've lowered it with stiffer springs, Im really enjoying cornering at decent speeds. What do you guys suggest I could do? Was thinking either sway bars, trailing arms, rear strut bar. I don't think I need to do all of these, but what benefits handling the most?
Also for reference to any of these issues, I have an '02 3.4, 101k miles, AGX struts with SSC springs, and all other components are stock.
Thanks in advance!

Going point by point through your list:

1)you can replace the bad one as long as the other is in decent shape. I only replaced one when the stud broke during my wheel hub debacle. I'd recommend getting Moog. Pepboys might have them in stock, but you can also get them from Amazon.

2)I'd just replace the entire axle if its throwing grease. A new Cardone Select Axle can be had for 60 bucks on Amazon.

3) Have you checked to make sure the top nut on the struts didn't back off? I had that problem on one of my rear struts. Aside from that you should check the engines mounts (upper and lower), transmission mount, controls arms, sway bar bushings/endlinks... pretty much anything that moves or might move. Took me damn near forever to get rid of my rattling.

4) Did you adequately lubricate the round bushing part of the new strut mount? I slathered those bad boys in lube to prevent any issues.

5) I'd recommend a rear sway bar and strut bar. They make a huge difference are super easy to install and are relatively inexpensive. Trailing arms are a bit tougher to do because the bolts like to seize up over time (I wouldn't have been able to do mine without the air tools my buddy let me use at his shop).

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
outonthetiles
Member Level
Member Level

2000 Chevrolet Impala
1990 Volvo 240
2000 Buick Regal

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:12 am    Post subject:  Re: Time for front end overhaul? Reply with quote

IffyG wrote:

5) I'd recommend a rear sway bar and strut bar. They make a huge difference are super easy to install and are relatively inexpensive. Trailing arms are a bit tougher to do because the bolts like to seize up over time (I wouldn't have been able to do mine without the air tools my buddy let me use at his shop).

This is definitely true about the bolts seizing up. When I did my trailing arms I broke the bolt heads off of both of the bolts holding the bracket to the frame. Had to drill the old bolts out and fish new ones in up through the frame rail.. Major PITA!

barnettimpala
Member Level
Member Level

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix
2003 Pontiac Grand Prix

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:50 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I have checked the the top nut several times because I remember you saying it. Now, I did notice something interesting today. Not sure if its normal. The upper insulator/the rubber the spring rests on, the spot where the spring is supposed to set to isn't at the end of the spring now. Both sides are like this. Is this normal, or are they not turning with the spring like their supposed to?
And for the greasing of the bearing, I didn't grease it at all because it's supposed to already be. And the write up I followed didn't say to.
And I have been thinking about getting sway bars. I may do that after I get all my problems fixed. I've got this suspension stuff, the trunk light, and other maintenance stuff I have to do.

barnettimpala
Member Level
Member Level

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix
2003 Pontiac Grand Prix

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Idea lightbulb just went off in my head. So my moms blazer she used to have, the end of the sway bar had broken off. The symptoms were the passenger side was sitting lower, it would rattle, and it handled like crap. So my car is sitting half an inch lower on the passenger side and I have that rattle. I'm wondering if when I lowered it it put more strain on it, and because of the way I've driven it now Laughing
I'll have to jack it up and take a look.

outonthetiles
Member Level
Member Level

2000 Chevrolet Impala
1990 Volvo 240
2000 Buick Regal

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:51 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I've seen a few crack right at the ends. My Regal was like that when I got it.

IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I've got a busted sway bar on my Intrigue but I haven't noticed it sitting lower... plus I think you'd have noticed if the sway bar was about to rust through when you did the suspension. Mine was hanging on by a thread for a long time before it finally went.

Dan wrote:

d
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

barnettimpala wrote:
Now, I did notice something interesting today. Not sure if its normal. The upper insulator/the rubber the spring rests on, the spot where the spring is supposed to set to isn't at the end of the spring now. Both sides are like this. Is this normal

Can you get a picture of this, I can't picture what you are talking about.

Dan wrote:

d
barnettimpala
Member Level
Member Level

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix
2003 Pontiac Grand Prix

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Have pics on my Phone. Will have to wait till tonight to get them on the computer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: