NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - 2000LS Transmission oil cooler line replacement
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

2000LS Transmission oil cooler line replacement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ken729
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.04

2000 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:14 am    Post subject:  2000LS Transmission oil cooler line replacement Reply with quote

I would like to replace my transmission oil cooler lines. Based on what I'm seeing the metal and rubber pipe OE lines require those Jiffy Tite connectors at each end. It would almost seem more reliable to use inverse flare fittings and transmission rubber hose from end to end. I'd appreciate any suggestions on how to approach this. My experience with those Jiffy Tite fittings has not been good. My lines are not leaking now but they are spliced near the radiator. This is due to the metal pipes not releasing (with the clips out) when the radiator was changed last year.
VTSS
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.11

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1994 Mitsubishi 3000GT

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:41 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I replaced mine last week. The clips were a lot easier to remove than I had expected. I used a 90 metal pick, similar to dental style picks. Very carefully got one end of each clip out then pulled. Didn't have any problems putting them back in and they still work great.

Edit: not sure what you mean by "Jiffy tite connector" but this is what the lines connect too. The threaded part doesnt need to be removed just pull the metal clip and the lines come right out http://info.rockauto.com/getim.....05-007.jpg
ken729
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2000 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:37 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Thanks for that info. I have 2 new connectors exactly as shown in your photo from Rock Auto - those are for the radiator. I would guess I also need the connectors for the transmission as the car has 147k miles. I see these available ( Dorman brand ) at Advanced Auto. I guess my question now is can the lines be replaced with the car on the ground?
VTSS
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.11

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1994 Mitsubishi 3000GT

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:58 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The connectors can stay right in the radiator and transmission, the lines come out after removing the clips. It can be done on the ground just jack it up a bit and have a drain pan ready. Use jack stands!
ken729
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2000 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:20 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Thanks so much for your input on this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: