NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - transmission issues
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

transmission issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission
View previous topic :: View next topic  
intelinside

Posts per day: 0.01

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject:  transmission issues Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I've had this issue for a while now, seems to disappear and come back from time to time, but lately it has been consistently....bad. I feel a shudder in the transmission when shifting and after letting off the pedal (before during or after gear changes). I replaced the transmission fluid about 15k miles ago, no metal shavings at all in the pan - fluid was dark but it hadn't been changed in the first 100k (previously owned by my father). The car is at 135xxx miles. It started doing this a while back, however seemed to stop after I swapped my fuel injectors for new ones - now it's back. Just curious if anyone else has had these issues before and knows what the problem might possibly be. I'm thinking that it might possibly be the torque converter.

It's a 2003 base 3.4 impala-all stock parts

Thanks for any input you guys have on this issue - although I think a transmission rebuild is in my near future Shocked
VTSS
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.11

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1994 Mitsubishi 3000GT

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:50 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Could be one of the solenoids. EPC, TCC or shift solenoid.
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.64

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:27 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Check your dog bone bushings (the ones that are on the side that attach to the engine). I had some horrible noises and shudders when the rubber had about a 1/4" of play in the dogbone.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
cprince

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

VTSS wrote:

I am having the same problem as intelinside mentioned PLUS odd down shifts at bad times... **EDIT** Better explained: Coming off a light, 1st rolls through ok, shifts to 2nd then downshifts hi-rev back down to 1st then jumps to 2nd and 3rd in quick succession. Transmission always in "Drive"... cant tell you the exact revs either as I have no tach on my base Imp with the 3.4 **END EDIT**

This is since I got a replacement engine put in about 2 weeks ago.

I have done nothing to the transmission EVER. No flush, not replacement of the fluid... nothing. I have about 180 000 Kilometers (about 115 000 miles) on it.

Where do I start to look?

Craig
VTSS
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1994 Mitsubishi 3000GT

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

cprince wrote:
VTSS wrote:

I am having the same problem as intelinside mentioned PLUS odd down shifts at bad times... **EDIT** Better explained: Coming off a light, 1st rolls through ok, shifts to 2nd then downshifts hi-rev back down to 1st then jumps to 2nd and 3rd in quick succession. Transmission always in "Drive"... cant tell you the exact revs either as I have no tach on my base Imp with the 3.4 **END EDIT**

This is since I got a replacement engine put in about 2 weeks ago.

I have done nothing to the transmission EVER. No flush, not replacement of the fluid... nothing. I have about 180 000 Kilometers (about 115 000 miles) on it.

Where do I start to look?

Craig

Start with checking the fluid and making sure it is at the correct level. You may also want to check the torque converter bolts, when they put the engine in maybe they forgot one or they werent tightened enough. There is a small plastic shield between the block and transmission that needs to come off to access the flywheel and torque converter, I believe there are two 10mm bolts holding the cover in place. The torque converter bolts are 18mm if I remember right.

Also wouldn't hurt to have the car scanned for hidden diagnostic codes that may indicate solenoid or other trans related problems.
cprince

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:42 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Thanks for the answer VTSS! Well appreciated. I have not had the time as of yet to check anything. I have noticed more exactly what the transmission is doing now consistently:

From a stop and under normal acceleration> Drives through 1st gear... when a change is expected (Again... only by sound as I have no Tach) there is a sudden rev surge then it drops down into 2nd.
2nd> gets ALMOST up to where you would expect a shift into 3rd... but seems to shift prematurely. Reason I say this is because it "Bumps" into 3rd.

In a nutshell... I would describe it as... it slips into 2nd and bumps into 3rd.

Here is some of what I have been reading:

activetransmission.com wrote:
Simply because a transmission exhibits abnormal behavior, such as not shifting up or down, slipping, falling out of gear, or even harsh shifts, it does not mean it needs to be replaced or rebuilt. Many of these problems can be caused by non-transmission related components. Auto manufacturers have instilled numerous sensors and controllers within vehicles since the 1980’s that cause a great number of complaints with the vehicle’s transmission operation. For example, a coolant temperature sensor can fail and cause an automatic transmission to lose overdrive and converter clutch capability. This usually creates a symptom of a higher revving engine at speeds over 45 mph and one may think the transmission is bad.

An Intake Air Temperature Sensor measures the temperature of air entering the engine and is intertwined with the transmission and its pressure control system. The failure of this sensor may cause the driver to experience hard shifts through its increase of pressure inside the transmission. Another example is related to the vehicle’s Mass Airflow Sensor, which can cause a multitude of transmission symptoms ranging from harsh shifts to soft shifts, to no shifts at all. This sensor measures airflow into the vehicle engine and communicates with the Powertrain Control Module in determining engine load and shift timing and performance.

So... some of what else can be checked:

- Coolant Temp Sensor
Not likely due to the symptoms not really matching...

-Intake Air Temperature Sensor
No idea where to find that. I will guess somewhere near the air intake! Even if/when I find it... how the heck do you test it? A potential meter?

- Mass Airflow Sensor
Isn't that the same as an Air Intake sensor?

- Powertrain Control Module
I only mention this as it seems to be in the chain...

- From VTSS's reply: Torque Converter Bolts

- Any possible codes.

I have no clue how to check these things if and when I find them!

I did however, check the fluid (not too hard even in the throws of winter!)... it seems like it might be yucky. Brown-ish and not so damn good smelling... burnt? Nutty? Wink ... But, at least there was plenty.

I think that maybe at this point, one of those scammer tranny flushes wont help this!!

Craig
VTSS
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1994 Mitsubishi 3000GT

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

cprince wrote:
So... some of what else can be checked:

- Coolant Temp Sensor
Not likely due to the symptoms not really matching...

-Intake Air Temperature Sensor
No idea where to find that. I will guess somewhere near the air intake! Even if/when I find it... how the heck do you test it? A potential meter?

- Mass Airflow Sensor
Isn't that the same as an Air Intake sensor?

- Powertrain Control Module
I only mention this as it seems to be in the chain...

- From VTSS's reply: Torque Converter Bolts

- Any possible codes.

I have no clue how to check these things if and when I find them!

I did however, check the fluid (not too hard even in the throws of winter!)... it seems like it might be yucky. Brown-ish and not so damn good smelling... burnt? Nutty? Wink ... But, at least there was plenty.

I think that maybe at this point, one of those scammer tranny flushes wont help this!!

Craig

Whatever you do dont get the power flush done! My dad did it on his 02 impala and a week later the transmission was toast. He also did it on the car I had at the time while I was on vacation, few months later that transmission was toast. You are much better off just dropping the transmission pan, change the filter and then add new fluid. It took 7-8qts for mine just draining the transmission and not the torque converter, buy 10 just in case. If it smells burned it should be changed.

I can tell you where all of the sensors are but 9/10 times a OBDII scanner will tell you if they are broken so you dont need to check.

Heres a pic of the first 3 sensors on my car, the 3400 engine might be a litter different.

Red: coolant temp sensor
Yellow: air intake temp sensor
Green: Mass air flow sensor

Power control module/PCM is in the air intake box below the filter.

Take your car to a local parts store and have them scan it. I use the Innovate OT-2 with my iphone but you can also get cheap OBDII scanners on ebay.
PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 1.99

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:50 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I would check the MAF as stated. I'm running into problems with it and getting extremely delayed shifts or even harsh shifts. On the 3.4 it's and the end of the accordion tube going into the air box. Unplug it and see how it drives.

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: