NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Transmission in for rebuild #3!
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Transmission in for rebuild #3!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission
View previous topic :: View next topic  
billy101
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.66

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: Snif ! Transmission in for rebuild #3! Reply with quote

Hey all, most of you know of the s**t I've been going through ever since we had the transmission rebuild about a month and a half ago. It was rebuilt the first time, wasn't right, they then replaced the valve body after it had been slipping, without touching the clutch bands or anything else. Now it's doing this. ANY IDEAS??? I'm baffled.
PLEASE HELP ME! I need something to tell this damn place.

VIDEO:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v.....e=youtu.be

Last edited by billy101 on Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.64

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Well... I'd be asking for my money back and taking the car to another shop. It's becoming obvious that they don't know what the hell they are doing.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
billy101
Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

IffyG wrote:
Well... I'd be asking for my money back and taking the car to another shop. It's becoming obvious that they don't know what the hell they are doing.

We're about $2500 deep with this shop...but how do I explain this to them? If I drive it like any other person and keep the rpm's under 3500 during normal driving it's perfectly fine but if you go to have a little fun, it does this. Sometimes it's worse than other times..

davidhoutz
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.28

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I'd be getting my money back. That's all there is to it. They can't fix it with two different tries. Have you put one of the guys in the car and do what you did on the video?
Only thing that comes to mind...years ago I had the "throttle switch" or something that sounds like that stuck or broke. Did the same thing yours does from first gear into second but never a higher gear.
And it really doesn't matter if it doesn't do it under 3500 rpm's, If it was rebuilt right, it wouldn't matter.
grimsin
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.41

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

when my tranny goes im going straight to T.E.P and get a new one sent out to me. you have almost spent the amount to get one yourself now.

Mods:4'' HAI\L67 HVTB\HV3\ER Rockers\WP underdrive pulley\Headers\cat delete\91 octane overkill incar tune.
3.69 gears soon!!
Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 2.34

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Fight them for whatever money you can get back. Obviously they are not going to want to hand any cash over, especially considering they've paid their technician to do it twice/three times already.

I don't know whether you did your research ahead of time or not, but I have looked into it, and even being from Canada, would probably get a TEP transmission.

The RPMS at which it happens makes no differrence. How are you supposed to merge onto the highway or overtake on a two lane road? A failed transmission rebuild is a risk on your well-being that you shouldn't accept.

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
billy101
Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:29 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

davidhoutz wrote:
I'd be getting my money back. That's all there is to it. They can't fix it with two different tries. Have you put one of the guys in the car and do what you did on the video?
Only thing that comes to mind...years ago I had the "throttle switch" or something that sounds like that stuck or broke. Did the same thing yours does from first gear into second but never a higher gear.
And it really doesn't matter if it doesn't do it under 3500 rpm's, If it was rebuilt right, it wouldn't matter.

Yeah I know...this is dangerous too. I was pulling out into traffic (heavy traffic and needed to pull out semi-quickly) and the trans did this and didn't pull forward anymore..I thought I was going to get rear ended. I don't want to say I beat the s**t out of my car, but let's face it, I'm a 17 year old kid who loves everything about cars and I don't have the lightest foot. I love the feeling of being pushed back into your seat and I often seek that with my car. I'd feel weird having one of them sit in the car and do what I was doing while recording the video...

@grimsin - I would LOVE a TEP trans, I was begging my dad to get one in the first place and we would just pull the motor and trans and do it ourselves, but he wanted something where we could bring it back to if any problems occurred and not have to do the labor ourselves... A TEP 4T65E standard model is $1549 + $300 for the core charge. We would have still been better off money wise if we went that route the first time..I wish he would have listened to me.

@Lingenfelter - The first time it was rebuilt, the second time we brought it back because it was doing this weird thing from a stop, like slipping and then banging into first gear; but not all the time so I couldn't show them what it was doing. The third time I brought it back and they kept it overnight and sure enough they figured out that the PCS was bad on the reman valve body they got, supposedly they get Sonnax reman'd valvebodies. It was slipping so much it threw a P1811 and the trans temp was 270F +. They changed out the valvebody and it's been alright. We had to bring it back on Monday because it was leaking trans fluid from the cooler lines, they repaired that free of charge (they better have). The thing is, I did TONS of research about TEP Transmissions and couldn't find one bad review about it. The thing was, my dad didn't want to have to do all the labor, and god forbid we got the trans, put it in and something wasn't right we would have had to take it all out ourselves again, but with all the headache we've gone through now pulling it ourselves would have been a lot nicer than dealing with that place. I'm glad you agree about the pulling out onto the highway and what not, as mentioned in my "quote" above to grimsin it is a hazard. It is such a hassle to have to bring my car there and have them look at it because we do not have an extra car for me to drive to get to school and whatnot. On the paperwork we got when they rebuilt it the first time it clearly states that any future repairs under warranty they do not cover rental vehicles (..of course right?). I've had it with this shop and I'm slowly leaning towards loosening one of the trans cooler lines and letting it spit out all the transmission fluid in the tranny. Then we'll go to small claims court and get all of our money back and then some for the hassle all this s**t has been.

Frank4202
Senior Level
Senior Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.76

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1997 Chevrolet Corvette

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:48 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

What kind of PCM tune do you have? If you have the stock PCM, try swapping back and see if that helps.

Sold 28/10/11
billy101
Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:08 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Frank4202 wrote:
What kind of PCM tune do you have? If you have the stock PCM, try swapping back and see if that helps.

I've got revision 4.3 from Will @ Overkill. I can try that though, I don't think it will make much of a change but it can't hurt to swap it out for 10 minutes or so.

IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.64

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:12 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

billy101 wrote:

@Lingenfelter - The first time it was rebuilt, the second time we brought it back because it was doing this weird thing from a stop, like slipping and then banging into first gear; but not all the time so I couldn't show them what it was doing. The third time I brought it back and they kept it overnight and sure enough they figured out that the PCS was bad on the reman valve body they got, supposedly they get Sonnax reman'd valvebodies. It was slipping so much it threw a P1811 and the trans temp was 270F +. They changed out the valvebody and it's been alright. We had to bring it back on Monday because it was leaking trans fluid from the cooler lines, they repaired that free of charge (they better have). The thing is, I did TONS of research about TEP Transmissions and couldn't find one bad review about it. The thing was, my dad didn't want to have to do all the labor, and god forbid we got the trans, put it in and something wasn't right we would have had to take it all out ourselves again, but with all the headache we've gone through now pulling it ourselves would have been a lot nicer than dealing with that place. I'm glad you agree about the pulling out onto the highway and what not, as mentioned in my "quote" above to grimsin it is a hazard. It is such a hassle to have to bring my car there and have them look at it because we do not have an extra car for me to drive to get to school and whatnot. On the paperwork we got when they rebuilt it the first time it clearly states that any future repairs under warranty they do not cover rental vehicles (..of course right?). I've had it with this shop and I'm slowly leaning towards loosening one of the trans cooler lines and letting it spit out all the transmission fluid in the tranny. Then we'll go to small claims court and get all of our money back and then some for the hassle all this s**t has been.

This is just speculation, but I think this shop is replacing only the parts that are completely failed when they do a 'complete rebuild' when they really need to tear the whole damn thing apart and thoroughly inspect/replace everything...

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
davidhoutz
Uber
Uber

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I'd be camping out in their office and any time a customer walked in I'd start throwing a fit.
I think it might be time for small claims court. Get a rental, its safer. And you'll get that money back when you win your case. There's a 1% chance that your parents homeowners insurance will cover a rental. Being under 18, sometimes there are policies like that. Doubt it, but worth a try.
billy101
Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

davidhoutz wrote:
I'd be camping out in their office and any time a customer walked in I'd start throwing a fit.
I think it might be time for small claims court. Get a rental, its safer. And you'll get that money back when you win your case. There's a 1% chance that your parents homeowners insurance will cover a rental. Being under 18, sometimes there are policies like that. Doubt it, but worth a try.

Thing is, we don't have any documentation other than the repair orders from when they replaced something. We didn't get it documented that we were in there complaining about it not doing something right. Monday we're going to bring it up there and I'm going to take them for a drive and show them what it's doing. My mom is going to explain to them that they have one last time to do a full rebuild again. If it's not right that time then we will have lawyers getting involved. I just really hate how incompetent this place is with their work.

davidhoutz
Uber
Uber

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I would ask them in all niceness BEFORE you mention lawyers that you would like a copy from all the repairs that they've done. They have copys, for tax reasons, so don't take no for an answer.
billy101
Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

davidhoutz wrote:
I would ask them in all niceness BEFORE you mention lawyers that you would like a copy from all the repairs that they've done. They have copys, for tax reasons, so don't take no for an answer.

We have paperwork from when they first did the rebuild, and from when they changed the bad valvebody and VSS sensor, but we didn't get documentation from when they fixed the leaking trans cooler lines.

98ss
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.27

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Or you could just go back and tell them its not right. You have to give them the opportunity to fix it. If they don't want to ask them if the are part of the BBB. That usually will do trick.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: