NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Fuel Line/Fuel Rail Connection Leak (O-Rings)
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Fuel Line/Fuel Rail Connection Leak (O-Rings)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ollie2003LS

Posts per day: 0.01

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject:  Fuel Line/Fuel Rail Connection Leak (O-Rings) Reply with quote

(2003 Impala LS 3.8 c.100k Miles)

Hi.

I went to change the rear three spark plugs today and was hit with the smell of fuel. After sniffing around a bit I traced the odor to a connection where a fuel line meets and feeds the rear fuel rails. I noticed that it looked wet around the connection and there seems to be a leak.

I'm not sure if I put pressure on this connection with my knee (I had a blanket over the motor to reach the rear plugs) cracking it, or if I am just now noticing leaky o-rings at this connection. I didn't notice any obvious external damage: what should I look for?

If the problem is with worn o-rings is it possible replace just the rings at this connection without buying a whole new line or fuel rail assembly? Has anyone else had problems with bad o-rings at this connection point?

Thanks as always for your help.
98ss
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.27

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:17 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

There is a replacement elbow that you can get. Clip the old line and replace with a new clamp.
VictoryRed09
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.1

2009 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:17 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

You can also gets a 18 piece "O" ring assortment from Dorman. It has 1 "O" ring to fit the Fuel connector. it was $6.99 part number 80020
at my Autozone store where I got my set.

look inside the connector with a bright light and make note where the exisiting "O" ring is in relation tot eh 2 plastice spacers.
Dig the old one out with a small hook. ( i used a bent safety pin.)
Then match the old ring with the correct size in the assortment. Put some light lube on it and Use some tweezers or other small tool to slide the new ring into position. A little care is needed to get it in the right spot and not nick or tear it.
Or you can cut the line and clamp a new connector on. That is not my first choice.
Jnibbs24
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.29

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:29 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I did this recently, I went the O ring route. Took about 30min, make sure you have a set of http://www.autozone.com/autozo.....41461_0_0_

I had to use the straight and the slightly curved one to maneuver the O ring in.
also did this at night at lost the O ring once. Haven't had an issue yet. Make sure the O rings are vitom, it'll say on the back, I was going to do a how to on this, but didn't take enough pictures.. Best of luck!

Posts per day: 0.01

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

This is all great info... Everything I was looking for, part numbers and all! Is this a common problem with our cars? Is it ethanol related? Thanks again.
VictoryRed09
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.1

2009 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:58 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Ollie2003LS wrote:
This is all great info... Everything I was looking for, part numbers and all! Is this a common problem with our cars? Is it ethanol related? Thanks again.

It is related to age, heat and an "O" ring connection. When the First 2, act on the "O" ring it dries and ages, when the connection is disturbed the seal might fail. Not sure in Ethanol in the fuel plays a part , but it may be a contributing factor.

This is not related to just "OUR" cars. it is a problem where ever a "O" ring is asked to hold back fuel pressure, that on older cars was done with a double flare Tubing seal.
Hope you get it fixed before it catches fire.
by the way , Your Welcome.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: