NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Taking up the Valve Cover Gaskets
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Taking up the Valve Cover Gaskets
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TeenBeach
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.12

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2002 Kia Rio

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:28 am    Post subject: Complicity Taking up the Valve Cover Gaskets Reply with quote

Alright, so I'm pretty bored to be honest. It's the middle of "winter", which means no point of getting new suspension parts, exhaust... Ect..Ect. Don't like the idea of salt whatsoever! So I'm thinking, hey, I have a valve cover gasket box in the garage (summer project that never got done)... Let's do them now! This Sunday! In 27 degree weather! Yeah! Lol. My friend and I have already changed the upper plenum gaskets/coolant elbows during summer. We were in the process of doing the valve cover gaskets but if I remember correctly, he couldn't get the bolt off that connects the dogbone to the valve cover?? Idk, I think he was just a dumbass and wasn't doing it right.

Anyway, I really want to do them now since I would have all day, plus Monday if things went wrong for some reason. I searched for about 30 min trying to find something on how to do them on this forum but I couldn't find anything. Sorry if there is a write up already.. I could of sworn there was one.

Okay, this is turning into a novel! So, my question is how do I do them? I believe I have the felpro kind (without looking). Is that a good way to go? I have the valve cover gasket set and groomets... Wtf are grommets?? Also, anything else I should be doing while I'm in there? Any special tools I need for some reason? Yadayadayada... Thank you for your guy's help In advance!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
MCO_Death
Guru
Guru
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 0.93

1994 GMC Sierra
2006 Dodge Charger
1995 Buick Regal
2012 Dodge Charger

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:05 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Generally, Valve Cover Gaskets are pretty straight forward, Remove the valve cover, take off the old gasket and any residues left behind, clean the surface area where the new gasket will go (also a great time to clean up the entire cover itself, or if you want a nice touch painting it some fun color...) Re-install new gasket, put the cover back on.

The hardest part of the whole switch will be getting the rear valve cover off, as its just a PITA to get too as I recall.

The felpro gaskets are just fine for replacements. And the grommets should be the rubber seals for around where each bolt is if I recall correctly.

That's your best friend.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TeenBeach
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2002 Kia Rio

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Yeah, I thought it was pretty easy. However, will I have to remove the upper plennum/intake to get easy access to the back? Do I need to remove anything out of the way to just take off the front one? Also, if i take off that one dog bone, will my engine still be perfectly secure?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator

Posts per day: 3.55

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

You shouldn't have to take off the UIM, but I'm pretty sure you have to remove the alternator to get the rear cover off easily (at least that's the conclusion I came to when I fixed my leaky front valve cover and left the rear because it looked more involved than I cared to do at the time).

You'll be fine with one dog bone holding the engine, but you might want to get an engine tilter of some sort to get better access to the rear cover.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d

Last edited by IffyG on Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
chibiblacksheep
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.47

2000 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2007 Chevrolet Impala
1968 Chevrolet Camaro
2013 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:39 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I had to remove my alt also.

Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2002 Kia Rio

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Alright, well I am pretty excited to do it. I love working on my baby. I feel like it makes me understand that car a whole lot more. If it's hard the first time, it can only be easier the next time. I just found my Haynes manual, and it does say I need to remove the alt to access the back cover. I am not to educated on a tilter, so I am just going to pass on that. I'll start with the front and if the rear is too hard then I'll just do it a different day. But I have 2 days to do this so I'm not too worried, just gonna take my time. Maybe I'll take photos on how to and post them up. One more question I have however is the Haynes manual says I need to drain the coolant?? Is this true? It says something about removing a coolant tube I think. Also, is taking off boots hard? Honestly, I've never taking off the boots, I just know to number them.
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Take the plug wires off of the coil packs and drape the wires up on over the cowl and onto the windshield. It's easier than trying to remove the boots from the plugs themselves. If you are intent on taking them off, make sure you have new wires on hand as you will likely destroy at least one of them. Aside from that, if you haven't done the plugs, you should consider it since you will be back there.

As far as the coolant goes, I think that's only done if you pull the belt tensioner or UIM. I can't think of anywhere else coolant would come out of the engine if you are just doing the valve cover gaskets.

Dan wrote:

d
chibiblacksheep
Member Level
Member Level

2007 Chevrolet Impala
1968 Chevrolet Camaro
2013 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

He might break an elbow doing the rears

NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Did you pull your belt tensioner to get at the rear valve cover gaskets? I should really do mine, but it seems like a royal PITA...

Dan wrote:

d
chibiblacksheep
Member Level
Member Level

2007 Chevrolet Impala
1968 Chevrolet Camaro
2013 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:40 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

When I did mine I had the top half removed doing LIM gaskets, hv3, rockers, etc

I broke an elbow Sad

Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2002 Kia Rio

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:21 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The Haynes Manual says to remove the belt tensioner to get the rears... but is that really necessary? I never removed the belt before.. kinda afraid to do that without breaking it. Why would you do have to do the coolant if u remove the belt tensioner?
05imp
Senior Level
Senior Level

Posts per day: 0.53

2005 Chevrolet Impala
2000 Ford Ranger
2007 Ford Explorer
2008 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:19 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

TeenBeach wrote:
. Why would you do have to do the coolant if u remove the belt tensioner?

Because GM decided to use it as part of the plumbing one coolant elbow out one side of the block into the tensioner another elbow out the other side.
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

05Imp is right, it's a horrible design and the plastic elbows they use now have a tendency to snap into a few pieces when you remove them. If you intend on taking it out, go to the dealer and get some new elbows. Apparently the Dorman ones use a bad o-ring that tends to leak eventually.

Dan wrote:

d
TeenBeach
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2002 Kia Rio

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Hmm, okay. Yeah that is a pretty weird place. Maybe I will try to take off the belt tensioner. Do I need a special tool for that, or something to take off/put on the belt? And do u know how much coolant elbows would be at a dealer? I would probably stock up on those. Damn, this all seems harder then I thought. But still going to give it a try!
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

You don't really need any special tools to take it off, but a big breaker bar can help to relieve the tension on the belt to get it off and then to get it back on the pulley. You can do it with a regular socket wrench, but you can really get some leverage with a breaker bar on there.

To get both coolant elbows at the dealer it should end up being about 15 bucks, maybe a few more. They usually have them in stock as they tend to break anytime you move them around.

It really isn't too difficult to get the tensioner or the belt off, just be sure to move the coolant recovery bottle out of the way to get some extra clearance in there.

Dan wrote:

d
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: