NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Rocker panel removal how-to?
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Rocker panel removal how-to?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Interior & Exterior MODs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
REDLINE
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.35

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2000 GMC Sierra
2001 Chevrolet S10
1994 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:35 am    Post subject:  Rocker panel removal how-to? Reply with quote

I did a quick search but came up empty...
Is there a how-to and/or any pics as to how the lower rocker panels are removed the correct way so as not to damage the clips they use?
I don't even know what the clips look like, but I understand they're sensitive & not so cheap.
Thanks!

Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 2.29

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:44 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The clips are a little wonky and they break pretty easily when removing the sideskirts. if I get a pic tonight I will post it for you.

You can get enough replacements to do both sides of the car for about 20 bucks from places online... I posted the part number and supplier somewhere here about 2 months ago.

You need 8 uppers and 6 lowers per side, if the fella in the other thread has it right. I bought two 10-packs of each style of clip online, so I have spares in case I damage one somehow.

Edit: Here is our thread about it. http://www.naioa.com/v2/module.....+fasteners

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
REDLINE
Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2000 GMC Sierra
2001 Chevrolet S10
1994 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Thanks Lingenfelter. A pic would greatly be appreciated! I have no clue what they even look like, so I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for on the site you posted in the other thread (clipsandfasteners.com). Plus I'm a little confused when you say you bought "fronts and backs", but yet uppers and lowers Question The side rockers would be uppers and lowers, no?

Basically I found a parts car and might buy the rocker molding off of it. I'd like to remove it, while trying to save as many clips as I can, and then do the same when replacing mine. I dunno what these clips look like, or how the rocker is supposed to be removed though. Additionally, do the ones from clipsandfasteners have color matched options?

Thanks!

Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Mine were color-matched to the car based on part number.

I should have said "upper and lower" and left it at that. The "uppers" are the rectangles you see when you open your car doors. The "lowers" are underneath the car and you would never see them unless you lay under the car. Given that, I doubt they sell these clips color-matched.

I removed the uppers by putting a flat screwdriver under the ends and prying up. Typically, they broke off and the small "barbs" on the back fall into the car, never to be seen again. I don't think I managed to get any out unbroken, and I doubt anyone else has, either (look how far the "barbs" stick out in the photo below)

I removed the lowers by combination of needlenose pliers and flat screwdriver, basically breaking off the flat section which is visible when they are installed on the car, and then pulling the rest out either before or after removing the sideskirt. They won't come out easily and given that a full set of replacements was 25 bucks shipped to Canada, it just wasn't worth my time to fiddle with and try to get the odd one out unbroken.

If you want to try to remove the lower ones unbroken, I would suggest that first you remove those upper fasteners you see when you open the doors, then pry out the flat, visible section of the other fastener tab enough to release the sideskirt. If you manage that, you might be able to get those lower fasteners out unbroken - but I doubt it.

Edit: don`t forget to remove the screws from the ends of the sideskirt (accessible from the front and rear wheel wells), or else you`re going to think they`re still attached by the clips, when they`re actually not.

Uppers:

Lowers:

The packaging mine came from (you may be able to read a part number on those boxes). My car is Galaxy Silver Metallic.

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
REDLINE
Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2000 GMC Sierra
2001 Chevrolet S10
1994 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:03 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Thanks for the pics and info Cool . I'll try my best, but won't be too hard on myself if/when the clips break then.

Looking for the clips on that site, in navy blue, it appears I'm SOL. I guess black is the next best I s'pose. There's 2 different head sizes for black, which I'm surprised to see. There's also a paint to match white.. wonder how well a rattle can would work on those, if I can even find the color to match. What cracks me up is you mentioned there's 8 uppers. If a guy was doing both sides, he'd have to get another pkg just for the 1 extra clip needed since it's listed as a 15-pack Laughing

Thanks again for the clarification & pics.

Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:55 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

No problem! I can't say for sure how well the paint would stick, but I imagine if it bonds ok, painting them should last - I don't think they would see a lot of wear from the door seals.

I just went out and checked my boxes of clips (I only removed and replaced one side skirt), and it looks like I used 8 of the upper clips and 6 of the lower clips, which confirms the numbers posted in the other thread I linked earlier.

For what it's worth, a pack of upper clips is $6.56 USD and the link is here:
http://www.clipsandfasteners.c.....a20809.htm

The lower clips are $10.46 USD/pack and the link is here:
http://www.clipsandfasteners.c.....a19821.htm

These clips are sort of a medium-gray for the lower(hidden) clips, and the same medium gray for the uppers, but they're textured. You could sand them down and probably have a decent paint finish on them.

The only tricky peice was one of the upper clips, which I had to trim, because the mounting hole in the sideskirt is slightly closer to a bend in the sideskirt than the rest - I beleive that one is near the post between the front and back door.

If you order from the clipsandfasteners website, enter "ebay" for a 5% discount. Very Happy Like I said, the clips are pretty expensive at the dealer - 11 bucks a peice here! Would have cost me $66 Canadian, for just the lower clips on one sideskirt! It does suck they are sold in packs of 15, but realistically one could be left out and it would probably never make a difference, and the uppers are the cheaper of the two clips anyway.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Interior & Exterior MODs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: