NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Dual buckets?
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Dual buckets?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SFCR
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.22

2008 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:52 am    Post subject:  Dual buckets? Reply with quote

Anyone use a dual bucket setup when washing their car? I checked out the ones on Autogeek, but they are expensive. The detailers on a couple of other sites say to use one for soap and the other for rinsing the brush / mitt.

What do you guys think?

billy101
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.66

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:24 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I usually follow that rule. I have one bucket filled with warm tub water filled with soap (makes it very sudsy) and then another bucket filled with plain ol' tap water that I put my mitts and brushes in to rinse them in between scrubbing down the car. I also have an attachment on my spigot that filters and purifies the water that comes out of the hose that I use every single time I wash my car. Leaves it water-spot free and I can usually DRY the car using the water coming from the hose because it's so pure, and any small water spots that are left I quickly wipe off with a chamois.

nightryder
Master Level
Master Level
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 0.82

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2005 Subaru Impreza

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject:  Re: Dual buckets? Reply with quote

I use the two bucket method, there's no need to spend big money on a setup like that. I have two 5 gallon buckets that I bought from home depot with a grit guard in each. You'll also want a separate bucket/wash mitt for tires and wheel wells.

Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 2.34

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject:  Re: Dual buckets? Reply with quote

nightryder wrote:
I use the two bucket method, there's no need to spend big money on a setup like that. I have two 5 gallon buckets that I bought from home depot with a grit guard in each. You'll also want a separate bucket/wash mitt for tires and wheel wells.

Not sure how much a grit guard costs, but depending on the space between the two 5-gallon buckets, you can also just cut slots in the bottom of one bucket and put it in the other bucket. Takes 4 buckets to have a functioning wash and rinse buckets, but they do stack up nice when the washing is all done.

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
impala2k
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.19

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I like this idea. Though I have always done the one bucket, start at the top and work your way down method. Never had an issue. My family has been doing it for decades. Is there a certain benefit by rinsing the brush in between brush strokes?? It seems like it would make the wash time a considerable amount longer.

Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

impala2k wrote:
Is there a certain benefit by rinsing the brush in between brush strokes?

Depends how fanatical you are about your paint. Rinsing will help remove contaminants and dirt/grit from your wash rag/brush and that'll ultimately reduce the amount of swirls and scratches in the paint.

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
nightryder
Master Level
Master Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2005 Subaru Impreza

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Lingenfelter wrote:
Not sure how much a grit guard costs, but depending on the space between the two 5-gallon buckets, you can also just cut slots in the bottom of one bucket and put it in the other bucket. Takes 4 buckets to have a functioning wash and rinse buckets, but they do stack up nice when the washing is all done.

http://www.detailedimage.com/G.....sert-P119/

That's an interesting way to do it, seems like a waste of buckets though. Part of the reasoning behind the grit guard is the ability to "scrub" the dirt off the mitt. I've been extremely pleased with how they work. The STi is still scratch free after several rinse-less washes (more debris is present in a rinse-less wash).

impala2k wrote:
Is there a certain benefit by rinsing the brush in between brush strokes?

Yes. Rinsing helps remove debris trapped in the "used" wash media so your wash bucket remains clean, the grit guards release the chunks of crap that scratch and swirl your paint. Realistically, if your paint is already scratched you won't notice a difference but, if the car is new and/or you just polished it the paint will remain scratch free for quite awhile.

Resident
Resident

2008 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:34 pm    Post subject:  Re: Dual buckets? Reply with quote

billy101 wrote:
I usually follow that rule. I have one bucket filled with warm tub water filled with soap (makes it very sudsy) and then another bucket filled with plain ol' tap water that I put my mitts and brushes in to rinse them in between scrubbing down the car. I also have an attachment on my spigot that filters and purifies the water that comes out of the hose that I use every single time I wash my car. Leaves it water-spot free and I can usually DRY the car using the water coming from the hose because it's so pure, and any small water spots that are left I quickly wipe off with a chamois.

I have a filter as well. Where did you get yours? I have an RV water filter which is an in-line filter for the fill hose. My filter needs replacing for sure....way over due!!

nightryder wrote:

Yea, I agree itís way too much $$$ to pay for a set of dolly wheels that are connected. And, IMHO, I expect itís a little heavy to be rolling around when full of water. I was unaware that Home Depot had the grit guard. Iíll check that for sure and will probably replace my bucket, get another, both with the grit guard.

billy101
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.66

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject:  Re: Dual buckets? Reply with quote

[quote="SFCR"]
billy101 wrote:

I have a filter as well. Where did you get yours? I have an RV water filter which is an in-line filter for the fill hose. My filter needs replacing for sure....way over due!!

I use a RV Filter as well, can't remember the name of the filter but it was expensive and does a good job at filtering out all those nasty minerals and what not.

nightryder
Master Level
Master Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2005 Subaru Impreza

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject:  Re: Dual buckets? Reply with quote

SFCR wrote:
I was unaware that Home Depot had the grit guard.

Neither was I Laughing

See the link I posted above for the grit guard.

Resident
Resident

2008 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject:  Re: Dual buckets? Reply with quote

nightryder wrote:

Nightryder, was it only the buckets you purchased from HD or the buckets and grit guards?

nightryder
Master Level
Master Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2005 Subaru Impreza

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:34 pm    Post subject:  Re: Dual buckets? Reply with quote

SFCR wrote:
Nightryder, was it only the buckets you purchased from HD or the buckets and grit guards?

nightryder wrote:

nightryder wrote:

Resident
Resident

2008 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:16 pm    Post subject:  Re: Dual buckets? Reply with quote

nightryder wrote:
SFCR wrote:

nightryder wrote:

nightryder wrote:

Got it...thanks. I went to US Plastics and ordered the grit guards.

Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:08 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

nightryder wrote:

That's an interesting way to do it, seems like a waste of buckets though. Part of the reasoning behind the grit guard is the ability to "scrub" the dirt off the mitt. I've been extremely pleased with how they work. The STi is still scratch free after several rinse-less washes (more debris is present in a rinse-less wash).

Ah, well given that the grit guard is only ten bucks I would probably also just go with that instead of fiddling with putting something together DIY-style. Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Car Care All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: