NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Thermostat replacement, broken heat?
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Thermostat replacement, broken heat?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Problems with my car!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gordo74
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.06

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:03 pm    Post subject:  Thermostat replacement, broken heat? Reply with quote

Long story short, I noticed my thermostat was stuck open at the beginning of the winter. While it was in for inspection, I had the mechanic change the thermostat as well as flush the cooling system.

Since then, the engine heats up quickly like it should, however, the heater core only opens when my foot is on the gas heavy. For example, it seems the thermostat opens four levels. It gets to the third level fine (everything open but the heater core), but only opens the heater core when the gas pedal is pressed. When I press the gas, I can clearly see it open because the temp gauge dips (as the heater core opens) and the heat comes on. However, once the engine returns to idle (such as at a red light or traffic), the thermostat closes the heater core and the temp goes back up to where it was (1 tick above the middle, whereas the normal is just below the middle).

Both door blend actuators work, as I only had heat on one side, so I replaced the drivers side and I now have heat on both sides, but only intermittently after the thermostat was changed.

Anyone have any ideas?
bigdog60
Resident
Resident
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 0.25

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:02 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

When the engine is cold, take off the rad cap and see if it is full. To me it sounds like air or not enough water in the system.
topgun
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.28

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:15 pm    Post subject:  t-stat replacement . . . Reply with quote

I'll second that thought. Make sure to get all air out. Be patiet doing it. Let it get warm with the rad cap off. When warm increase RPM's to 1500 - 2000. Add coolant to fill radiator and put cap on before letting it idle. Then bled system at the stat. Cool

Gordo74
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:07 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Should I be able to see fluid in the radiator when I take the cap off when cold?

Also, I have the Prestone Dexcool 50/50 mix, and I know our cars use Dexcool, but when the mechanic replaced the t-stat and did the flush and fill, he used "Universal Antifreeze". Would I be able to use what I have to try this process or should I buy a "Universal" fluid?

This is what I have (link): http://www.autozone.com/autozo.....ier=672816
00impala123
Senior Level
Senior Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.95

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:21 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

They say you can mix fluids with that universal fluid, but I still wouldn't.

NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.63

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

00impala123 wrote:
They say you can mix fluids with that universal fluid, but I still wouldn't.

Agreed. If you have Dexcool in your cooling system, stick with Dexcool. I wouldn't want to run the risk of gumming up the works to save a few bucks.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
topgun
Resident
Resident

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject:  t-stat replacement . . . Reply with quote

When you take the rad cap off (when cold), yes you should see coolant.
The dexcool you have can be mixed with the universal stuff. If this works and you have good heat I would suggest a full flush and refill with one type of coolant.
I have said before, if you read the ingredients on all the antifreeze that Walmart sells, They all contain the identical stuff, word for word. So with a new full flush use the cheaper Walmart Super Tech stuff. Cool

Gordo74
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:30 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I was at autozone today buying some universal antifreeze to try the suggestions above and saw this...

Anyone know where that fluid is coming from? It looks like it could either be from the cap or the rubberish seal on top of the radiator there. I have attached two pictures. This only started happening after the mechanic flushed and filled the system... Either way I need it fixed, and I need heat for my hour long commute in the PA winter mornings, I just need to figure out whats wrong and how to fix it.

2008BlueImpalaLTZ
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.07

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Gordo74 wrote:
I was at autozone today buying some universal antifreeze to try the suggestions above and saw this...

Anyone know where that fluid is coming from? It looks like it could either be from the cap or the rubberish seal on top of the radiator there. I have attached two pictures. This only started happening after the mechanic flushed and filled the system... Either way I need it fixed, and I need heat for my hour long commute in the PA winter mornings, I just need to figure out whats wrong and how to fix it.

I'd bet your water pump is leaking and coolant is being slung onto the hose, and radiator.
Gordo74
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Update: I fixed the heat by "burping" the system, although it was messy. I took off the radiator cap at full, filled it up (it wasnt full), then started the car. At first it was burping air bubbles and I kept adding more. Then, when I warmed up the car with the cap open, I put the RPMs at 2k and it warmed up quick, then I topped it off again (and as it tried to pressurize, spilled some, but in the end, filled it) and put some in the "reservoir").

Took it for a drive and had heat the whole time. Wiped out the whole radiator around that seal and cleaned up the mess.

The seal bothers me however, as I have a feeling that because of the coolant that leaked out there, it caused the air pockets/heat problems.

Any ideas on a fix?

**EDIT** Water pump? Where is that? It looks as if it is getting sprayed from that seal almost directly toward the engine. I may be wrong however.
2008BlueImpalaLTZ
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.07

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Gordo74 wrote:
Update: I fixed the heat by "burping" the system, although it was messy. I took off the radiator cap at full, filled it up (it wasnt full), then started the car. At first it was burping air bubbles and I kept adding more. Then, when I warmed up the car with the cap open, I put the RPMs at 2k and it warmed up quick, then I topped it off again (and as it tried to pressurize, spilled some, but in the end, filled it) and put some in the "reservoir").

Took it for a drive and had heat the whole time. Wiped out the whole radiator around that seal and cleaned up the mess.

The seal bothers me however, as I have a feeling that because of the coolant that leaked out there, it caused the air pockets/heat problems.

Any ideas on a fix?

**EDIT** Water pump? Where is that? It looks as if it is getting sprayed from that seal almost directly toward the engine. I may be wrong however.

The water pump is mounted on the engine, passenger side, where the radiator hose attaches (second picture).

You may want to clean all the coolant off, using water, and let it dry. Then drive it and see if it is spraying again toward the front.

Good luck.
topgun
Resident
Resident

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject:  t-stat replacement Reply with quote

Water pump. In the picture that shows the bottom pulley it looks like the engine side of the pulley is shiny meaning it's wet. Water pump is above that pulley. Weep hole probably leaking. Cool

Gordo74
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Went to the mechanic as I dont have the tools to do that one myself and he said it is either the water pump or timing casing.

It's going in Monday. I'll let you guys know what the deal is. For now, I just have to keep topping off the coolant.
Gordo74
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

It was the water pump. All fixed now Smile thanks for all the help guys! Learn something new everyday I visit here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Problems with my car! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: