NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Yet another computer distress thread
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Yet another computer distress thread

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Almost Anything Goes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madbrad
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.44

2007 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject:  Yet another computer distress thread Reply with quote

This is about a computer that I don't care about. It's old. The kids use it for goofing around. But it was originally built for more serious things, i.e. me goofing around.
So lately it has been going real slow and all that, and it was time to wipe it. I wasn't getting around to it and now it shuts off and restarts every half hour. There are no important files on it that I don't want to lose - that's all been put on CDs.
One of the things I hate about this computer is that the guy, against my wishes, kept the 40 gig HDD on it(it was a used HP from an office) and had the XP pro on that, and added a 320 gig HDD. I hate it because I never know where stuff is getting installed to, Today I went into the C prompt and did format C, forgetting there are 2 HDDs. It kept saying the other volume is using windows or whatever. Meanwhile it kept restarting while I'm trying to do this. I thought maybe it was a heat problem so I decided to vacuum the inside, then I saw the 2 HDDs and went, "oh yeah". But I also busted the computer at this time.
There's a huge cooling thingy with a fan on the processor I wanted to vacuum all that so I took it off, becaue I don't care about the computer. But I also unplugged the processor because it turns out they glued the cooler thingy to it. I cannot reinsert the processor now because the way it installs is that the socket slides laterally with an arm that must be up to insert, only that's impossible because the cooler thingy is about 4X the area of the socket, and that arm cannot be up. Not caring what happens to the computer, I tried plugging it in with eh arm down/socket in locked down position. Looks like that doesn't work because the power button just gives me a little red led. They must have glued the cooler thingy onto the processor AFTER inserting the processor. Should I pry the processor off the cooler thingy?

Anyway, assuming that problem didn't exist, for reformatting I want to get rid of the 40 gig HDD and wipe the 320 gig HDD and install the XP onto that. But if I unplug the 40 gig, there won't be an OS for me to say format c or d or whatever the 320 gig is called. I have wiped machines before but this is confusing.

Assuming I have permanently destroyed the computer, I wouldn't mind saving the honkin' video card and the DVD writer and the 56k modem. Should I buy a cheap tower with plain onboard stuff and install this hardware? Staples usually has them clearing out alot. What's a shame is this 320 gig HDD is good and I won't have a use for it unless I want to build my own machine. Hardly worth the bother just to save that. Anyway the shutting off problem might be a power supply thing and if I need even more hardware I'll just cut my losses.

05imp
Senior Level
Senior Level

Posts per day: 0.54

2005 Chevrolet Impala
2000 Ford Ranger
2007 Ford Explorer
2008 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Hopefully you didn't damage the pins on the processor chip when you pulled it out.
Its not glued probably the thermal paste hardened over time.
to properly put it back together you'll need some more.
Its cheap probably just a buck or two.
But for now try to separate the chip from the heat sink without touching the pins or damaging it . lift the processor seat arm and let the chip just fall in do not try to force it at all.
one of the corners on the chip will have an arrow / triangle or corner cut hopefully the chip seat will have a mark showing where that corner should seat.
close and re-secure the seat arm then carefully clean the sink face then reinstall the heat sink. if things are back working shut it down and get the thermal paste.
pop the sink back off thinly paint the sink face with the thermal paste and reinstall.
The thermal paste helps with the heat transfer so you don't cook the chip.
madbrad
Member Level
Member Level

2007 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Oh thanks that's really helpfil.
I didn't think it was glue because the bit that oozed out the sides when they pressedit was still soft, yet I could not separate them.

tiltrotor22
Dedicated
Dedicated

Posts per day: 0.13

2008 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject:  Yup Reply with quote

05imp wrote:
Hopefully you didn't damage the pins on the processor chip when you pulled it out.
Its not glued probably the thermal paste hardened over time.
to properly put it back together you'll need some more.
Its cheap probably just a buck or two.
But for now try to separate the chip from the heat sink without touching the pins or damaging it . lift the processor seat arm and let the chip just fall in do not try to force it at all.
one of the corners on the chip will have an arrow / triangle or corner cut hopefully the chip seat will have a mark showing where that corner should seat.
close and re-secure the seat arm then carefully clean the sink face then reinstall the heat sink. if things are back working shut it down and get the thermal paste.
pop the sink back off thinly paint the sink face with the thermal paste and reinstall.
The thermal paste helps with the heat transfer so you don't cook the chip.

I have pulled my heat sink off before and the processor came off with it. I did as stated above. Just seperated the processor, checked the pins, unlocked the socket and re-installed the processor. I have in the past bent pins on a processor, like 20 of them. I was able to straighten them out and installed the processor. Guess I got lucky.
madbrad
Member Level
Member Level

2007 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

OK thank you that did it.
When I fired it up it protested a few different ways, restarted a coupl eof times, would not recognize USB ports a couple times(so I could not use mouse or keyboard so could not get past login screen) but eventually worked. I began FORMAT f: which is the 320 gig HDD which does not have the OS on it. The machine shut off though, as it has been for several days. All the software bugs that have been plagueing the machine for months are interfering with the wiping of drive F.
It's at 50% of verifying now. I want to get rid of the 40 gig HDD so if I wipe the 320 gig and remove the 40 gig then start it up, can I then go through the process of installing the OS onto the machine?

05imp
Senior Level
Senior Level

2005 Chevrolet Impala
2000 Ford Ranger
2007 Ford Explorer
2008 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

If you have a full oem install disk you could just pull the 40g and install now to the other disk.
During the install you would have the option of formatting and partitioning the new disk before install of the os.
Also a very helpfull thing is to have on hand are the proper system drivers like chipset, video, nic ect...
madbrad
Member Level
Member Level

2007 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The 320 gig is now formatted. I have removed the 40 gig.
So do I just pop in the OS CD before turning on the machine?

20SS07
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 2.64

2009 Toyota Tacoma

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Yes.

Jesus created the internet and puppies and dandelions and kittens and sunny days and lollipops and impalas and turbochargers and pizza and beer and wings and boobies and blowjobs and pizza and pizza and pizza and beer and snow days and football and cheerleaders and drag radials and nascar and everything else that's awesome.

whitelightnin04MC wrote:
It's hard to find retards of this quality in such masses. It's truly amazing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
madbrad
Member Level
Member Level

2007 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

OK that is all done. It all works fine now but it still restarts after it has been running a few minutes. I'm thinking a power supply problem or something bad telling it.

05imp
Senior Level
Senior Level

2005 Chevrolet Impala
2000 Ford Ranger
2007 Ford Explorer
2008 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:54 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Cpu overheating will cause a automatic shutdown.
But since you mentioned a big honking video card(your words not mine Wink )
They can take a good amount of juice themselves and if it wasn't part of the original build but an add on later it could have had the power unit running full bore+ and it has had enough.
Most factory builds use low watt power supplies with just enough extra watts to run a couple extra peripherals.
I don't really know what you've got system wise but I would think hard on one of the three.
madbrad
Member Level
Member Level

2007 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The card isn't original but it was installed by the store that sold it to me at the time he sold it to me, and that was like 4 years ago, maybe more. The card has a big heat sink and fan of its own. This shutting down only started about a week or 2 ago. Does playing hyper video intense games mean more use of the card? Because that has not been done with it for a couple years.
Power supplies are cheap, I could risk just getting one to see what happens, if you guys think that's a good possibility. Maybe the CPU heatsink's fan stopped working. I could not tell if it was running. I also have a rear case fan that appears to blow air OUT of the case. I'd love to add one on the front that blows IN, to complement it.

05imp
Senior Level
Senior Level

2005 Chevrolet Impala
2000 Ford Ranger
2007 Ford Explorer
2008 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:36 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

check that the cpu fan is working.
madbrad
Member Level
Member Level

2007 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

It is acting worse now. The Vista stalls while loading. Maybe the CPU fan is not running. Sometimes this machine even starts itself up when it is off too.
I think if I take it to a nerd herd type thing then if any hardware needs replacing, I would just buy a new tower from a clearout at staples. Transfer in some of my better hardware.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Almost Anything Goes All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: