NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Ignition Cylinder Locked - 2000 Impala
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Ignition Cylinder Locked - 2000 Impala

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Problems with my car!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swordfish703

Posts per day: 0

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:49 am    Post subject:  Ignition Cylinder Locked - 2000 Impala Reply with quote

I pulled off my dash trim panel off my 2000 Impala, was installing an amp, I go to turn the car on so I can tune it. The key won't turn the ignition at all, and the steering wheel isn't locked.

I've tried everything from turning the wheel while trying the ignition, jiggling the keys, to disconnecting the battery and letting it sit for 30 minutes. Still no luck.

Researched it a bit on Google. It appears its a pretty common problem and the only solution I've read is to get the ignition switch and everything replaced and the anti-theft reset. Apparently it costs ~$900 to have it done by GM. I am NOT cool with that.

Anyone have any suggestions or ideas? I'm willing to fix it myself, but would rather not spend the money on it
Frank
Master Level
Master Level
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 0.78

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:33 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Try monkeying with the shifter lever. There is an interlock cable that goes from the ignition to the shift lever; that could be your problem. The key not turning is going to be a mechanical issue, not an electrical issue.

swordfish703

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:42 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

No such luck. Jerked it around a bit, yielded no results. Won't let me shift out of park unless I can switch the car to on.

Thinking about taking the dash off again, and pulling the ignition cylinder to have a look at it.

Also, thank you for your speedy response. The car is currently blocking in 3 other cars in my driveway, trying to get this fixed in a timely manner.
Frank
Master Level
Master Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:01 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Pull the negative battery cable before you start pulling the switch out.

You can remove the ignition switch from the dash without the cylinder turning, but you will have to have to be able to turn the switch to get the cylinder out of the switch.

The only time I haven't been able to turn my ignition key is when I sprayed too much graphite in the cylinder and jammed up the pins in the lock. I eventually got it freed up with a can of air and a lot of in and out with the key.

swordfish703

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:05 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

So how would I remove the cylinder if I can't get it to turn?

Also, is it possible to install a push button ignition or something similar so I won't encounter this again? Apparently it's a pretty rampant problem from what I can gather online.
Frank
Master Level
Master Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:18 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

You would have to drill the switch/cylinder in a specific place to break a spring that holds the cylinder into the switch...and then pull out the cylinder, toss it, and get a new one keyed for the car and install it.

You should be able to get the car out of park to roll it once you get the cylinder out, but you won't be able to drive the car at all. Once you get the new cylinder rekeyed to your key, you can program it yourself without taking it to the dealer.

When I bought a new cylinder 5-6 years ago, it ran me about $130 (online). If you can find it locally or at the dealer, it would likely be more expensive, but they can hopefully key it for you there.

Stupid question...have you tried another key?

swordfish703

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:24 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

That's fantastic. Looks like I'm gonna spend the next 7 hours jiggling the key in my ignition, waiting for the Chevy dealership to open. Once I get the new cylinder, how hard is it to drill it out? Heard of people needing a locksmith to do it. Also, will I also need a new ignition switch to go with it?

Yeah, tried all 3 of my keys. No luck.
Frank
Master Level
Master Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:13 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

It looks like you won't have to replace the switch if you are careful. As long as you're having them do the work, I would have them cut you a new factory key or two. They will need your registration or title to do it to prove that you own the vehicle.

Once you get the new cylinder in and up and running, you will most likely have to do a security relearn...

Key to start, leave key to on for 11 minutes. Security light should stop flashing and go solid. Key to off.
Repeat for three cycles. After third cycle, the car should start up for you.

Good luck!

swordfish703

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Problem is now fixed. Just had to get a replacement cylinder from Chevrolet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Problems with my car! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: