NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account
 

  
NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Intermittent audio
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Intermittent audio

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Audio / Video Club
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Gems
Uber
Uber


Joined: Feb 18, 2006
Posts: 928
Posts per day: 0.22
Location: Long Island, New York

2001 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:59 am    Post subject:  Intermittent audio Reply with quote

Here is yet another annoying issue with my aging 2001 Impala LS... When I first turn on the radio I get no sound as if it's on mute... After a minute or so the sound will come back and sometimes it will cut in and out... After about 5 minutes it typically returns to full sound all the time... (Thermal problem?)... I also noticed that when I first start the car the "chime" that typically rings a few times when you start up the car, also cuts in and out... So instead of hearing 5 or 6 steady chimes I hear maybe one chime, then a pause, then another chime... I'm thinking the chimes are generated thru the radio and I either have a radio or amplifier problem?... Please don't tell me my BCM is crapping out!!

_________________
Go Mark Martin!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
00impala123
Senior Level
Senior Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor


Joined: Feb 01, 2010
Posts: 2653
Posts per day: 0.95
Location: Chicago, IL

2000 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:05 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

If it was the bcm you would probably have a lot more issues going on. I would pull the radio and check all of the connections as a start, something could just be loose

_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jwjenkins7
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: Sep 14, 2006
Posts: 16
Posts per day: 0
Location: Minot AFB

2005 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:05 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

probably cold solder joints finally going bad in that deck. replace it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Gems
Uber
Uber


Joined: Feb 18, 2006
Posts: 928
Posts per day: 0.22
Location: Long Island, New York

2001 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:59 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Jwjenkins7 wrote:
probably cold solder joints finally going bad in that deck. replace it.


Isn't the radio coded to the VIN # of the car?... How do I deal with that if I replace the radio?... And what about all the other stuff that's controlled thru the radio (eg: oil life monitor, DRL's, etc)?

_________________
Go Mark Martin!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
billy101
Member Level
Member Level


Joined: Sep 12, 2010
Posts: 1704
Posts per day: 0.66
Location: Willow Spring, NC

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu


PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:09 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Gems wrote:
Jwjenkins7 wrote:
probably cold solder joints finally going bad in that deck. replace it.


Isn't the radio coded to the VIN # of the car?... How do I deal with that if I replace the radio?... And what about all the other stuff that's controlled thru the radio (eg: oil life monitor, DRL's, etc)?


If you replace your factory radio with an aftermarket you get a chime retention harness that also keeps the factory RAP (retained accessory power) feature. You won't be able to change any of the features you could using the factory radio, but once you set them using it they're set until you change them again. You can reset the oil life monitor and tire pressure monitor with the gas pedal and the light switch. DRL's will work like normal as well as everything else.

_________________
2002 Impala LS 3.8 -121,749 miles 11/13/2011
2001 Impala LS 3.8 - 118,510 miles. 9/2/2011. RIP - 11/12/2011
2010 Malibu LTZ 3.6 - 16,014miles. 8/20/2011.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gems
Uber
Uber


Joined: Feb 18, 2006
Posts: 928
Posts per day: 0.22
Location: Long Island, New York

2001 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

billy101 wrote:
Gems wrote:
Jwjenkins7 wrote:
probably cold solder joints finally going bad in that deck. replace it.


Isn't the radio coded to the VIN # of the car?... How do I deal with that if I replace the radio?... And what about all the other stuff that's controlled thru the radio (eg: oil life monitor, DRL's, etc)?


If you replace your factory radio with an aftermarket you get a chime retention harness that also keeps the factory RAP (retained accessory power) feature. You won't be able to change any of the features you could using the factory radio, but once you set them using it they're set until you change them again. You can reset the oil life monitor and tire pressure monitor with the gas pedal and the light switch. DRL's will work like normal as well as everything else.


I'd rather replace the factory radio with another factory radio and keep all the programming features thru the radio... It's good enough for me... What's a good source?

_________________
Go Mark Martin!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Audio / Video Club All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
Forums ©
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. Comments and posts are property of the poster. All other content is © 2008 by the NAIOA.


Use of this site constitutes agreement with the NAIOA Terms of Service (TOS)


PHP-Nuke Copyright © 2005 by Francisco Burzi. This is free software, and you may redistribute it under the GPL. PHP-Nuke comes with absolutely no warranty, for details, see the license.
Server Local Time: September 20, 2017, 10:18:37 pm
Page Generation: 0.09 Seconds ( SQL 27:109 in 0.01 Seconds )