NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Open/closed loop?
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Open/closed loop?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 PCM/Engine Computer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slowsol
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.07

2004 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:22 am    Post subject:  Open/closed loop? Reply with quote

The last few weeks I have noticed my scan gauge telling me the car is in open loop under normal driving conditions. I first noticed it when my a/f was bouncing all over the place sitting at a stop light. It was going from 13.4 to 15.3 just sitting there. After 10 min or so it jumped back to 14.7 and showed a closed loop. It does this off and on during different times of the day.

My thoughts were the car is supposed to be in a closed loop unless under wot? My tune was done with HPTuner. Mods are 3.4,wizaired, plog, coated crossover, 104's, 3" catless dp, and zzp wires.

Thanks
whitelightnin04MC
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 1.62

2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2009 Subaru Impreza

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:03 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I remember something about a catalyst test that causes the AFR to continue to climb and the car uses the rear o2 sensor to determine if the cat is functioning. The test is something that's in the programming that you couldn't change without tiny tuner or doing something with the pcm's database. It's been a long time since I've messed with the powertuner. Hopefully I'm on the right track and someone will be able to help you out .

Resident Prick, at your service.
SS - Corsa Catback, RT 3" DP, CC T304 PLOG, Wizaired, ZZP Offset Polys, GMPP Koni Kit, Hella Projectrofits, PT, ZZP HVTB, 10.4's
chibiblacksheep
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.49

2000 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2007 Chevrolet Impala
1968 Chevrolet Camaro
2013 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:40 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The car also stays open loop until it reaches operating temperature.

Master Level
Master Level
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 0.82

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2005 Subaru Impreza

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:31 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Are you verifying the AFR with a wideband? The AFR that shows up on the scan gauge is commanded AFR, not actual. How are you verifying that it's in closed loop? Is the car at operating temp when this happens?

IIRC the cat test happens randomly, and it doesn't need to be at an idle for it to occur. You need tiny tuner to disable it. This could be your problem, but I doubt it as it usually only dumps fuel (gets progressively richer). I don't think it will command open loop either, it shows up in the LTFT if i'm not mistaken.

Did you try resetting the trims to see what it does?

Can you send me your .hpt file again? I seem to have lost it.

Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 1.62

2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2009 Subaru Impreza

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:50 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

nightryder wrote:
Are you verifying the AFR with a wideband? The AFR that shows up on the scan gauge is commanded AFR, not actual. How are you verifying that it's in closed loop? Is the car at operating temp when this happens?

IIRC the cat test happens randomly, and it doesn't need to be at an idle for it to occur. You need tiny tuner to disable it. This could be your problem, but I doubt it as it usually only dumps fuel (gets progressively richer). I don't think it will command open loop either, it shows up in the LTFT if i'm not mistaken.

Very true. My LTFTs would go crazy, not the AFR.

Resident Prick, at your service.
SS - Corsa Catback, RT 3" DP, CC T304 PLOG, Wizaired, ZZP Offset Polys, GMPP Koni Kit, Hella Projectrofits, PT, ZZP HVTB, 10.4's
slowsol
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.07

2004 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:53 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

nightryder wrote:

Email address again....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 PCM/Engine Computer All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: