NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Just passed 100k.... should I sell soon?
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Just passed 100k.... should I sell soon?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
soxfan2546
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.07

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:43 pm    Post subject:  Just passed 100k.... should I sell soon? Reply with quote

Hey guys its been a while since I've been on here... I'm at about 105k now and I've noticed a couple things starting to go wrong with my car. The transmission clunks every once in a while and there is a weird noise when I start my car sometimes. The engine also doesn't really sound like it used to. I'm wondering if it's probably a good idea to try to sell the car now? I've heard that it's all downhill with Impalas after 100k miles...

Any input?

Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 2.29

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:05 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Depends what your definition of downhill is. Any car, when properly maintained, is going to come up with more expensive maintenance parts (particularly tranny services or redoing the suspension)

How the Impala stacks up? Probably more work than some and less than others. Mine has never left me stranded, but it did require a catalytic converter and a transmission solenoid out of warranty. I have redone the suspension (didn't desperately need it, but did it anyway), and thrown on a few other bits for the fun of it. The weight of the car plays against it when it comes to maintenance.

The driving you do with the car will definitely play into how much maintenance you'll have to do.

I have a particularly bad drive to work, now that I live so close. I have two rough railway crossings per day, and a short enough drive that those 5 days a week, I get 10 cold starts and 10 driving sessions where the engine never even reaches operating temp. Throw in a couple of stoplights and you're looking at poor milage and bad engine operating conditions to boot.

Given that, I expect to do a little more maintenance than the guy who drives 15 minutes down the highway and has no railway crossings. He's going to be getting decent milage and have less wear and tear on pretty much everything.

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.55

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:19 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

If you are doing most of the work yourself, these cars are relatively inexpensive to keep on the road. That being said, if you lose the trans that's gonna be a big expense. If you are considering getting a new car (and have the means to do so), it might be time to explore your options before the car says otherwise.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
spacewalker404
Resident
Resident
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.15

2004 Chevrolet Impala
2000 Chevrolet S10

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:43 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

IffyG wrote:
If you are doing most of the work yourself, these cars are relatively inexpensive to keep on the road. That being said, if you lose the trans that's gonna be a big expense. If you are considering getting a new car (and have the means to do so), it might be time to explore your options before the car says otherwise.

Could not have said it any better my self!! Nice wording..

Just an FYI, I've spent 10K+ on my car thats been paid off for two years since my 100K mile mark.

Dedicated
Dedicated

Posts per day: 0.09

2000 Chevrolet Impala
1995 Chevrolet Silverado
2000 Saturn L-Series

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:30 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I have about 250k on my imp.

No overdrive, been like that for about 2 years. No rocker panels, side skirts held on by rivets. I've done Lower intake = Head gaskets, all new front suspension parts, and has been in a rear end collision, ( I was rear ended by a new 2010 Ford pickup )

I'm at the point of no selling.. I dont even think I could get 1k for the car.. I'm driving this one till she pukes.

SuperImpala00
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.08

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:32 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I say drive it till it dies! It's paid for, why commit to a different car that could cause headaches and be doubling your bills. I just rolled over 263,000 had alot of repairs done mostly by me but she keeps on ticking!
98ss
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.26

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:26 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Personally I like the 00-05 impala's better than the 06+, the cabin is so much different (00-05 has more head room). One thing to try for the clunking, which could be a mount. Put a bottle of red lubeguard in there, trust me it works. If you can do the work yourself, people here are more than willing to lend a hand/ear to help you out.
Danny_9C1
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.19

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Chevrolet Tahoe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:24 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

98ss wrote:
Personally I like the 00-05 impala's better than the 06+, the cabin is so much different (00-05 has more head room).
I agree with you 100%.I love the interior and exterior of these cars.The only reason i would consider a '06+ is for better performance...

Next year i may consider selling the Tahoe and putting that money down on a '06+ 9C1 Impala.If i sold my Crown Vic it would only be to get a newer and nicer Crown Vic.

here is a picture of my Tahoe,yeah i'll have a hard time parting with it....

1999 Chevy Z56 Tahoe PPV.2004 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor,
2007 Chevy 9C1 Impala.
NYDeer

Posts per day: 0.01

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Nagh, I think you have time.. Haven't gone into engine deeper than water pump..
run synthetics & change your coolant every 2-3 years..

alambkal

Posts per day: 0

2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Just keep it. Just did a cat - $450 installed. The car owes me nothing! I'm at 202,000mi.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Fearless2005
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.07

2009 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:17 pm    Post subject:  Re: Just passed 100k.... should I sell soon? Reply with quote

soxfan2546 wrote:
I've heard that it's all downhill with Impalas after 100k miles...

Personally I think these cars are just breaking in at 100k miles. I had 2 Impalas (2005) and they both went up to 138k miles with no issues.

What kind of noise are you hearing with the engine? Add some Marvel Mystery Oil to the oil and see if that helps. I know the sound you're talking about. Try the MMO.

The tranny issue is really no big deal imo. I drove both of my Impalas with this issue for over 30k miles with no problems. Personal experience.
Danno

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:51 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Keep rolling. They hit a second wind after 100K. Other than tranny repair @ 125K ($2,000, and the damage could be attributed to me at one point being a 16 year old attempting a high amount of tire squealing, lol. Rolling Eyes ) my '02 just kept on ticking with no major issues...that weren't my own stupid fault. Laughing
mooreapi

2000 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:45 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I bought mine with 155k mi on the odo and stopped driving it at 295k mi, but only because it got repo'd... Embarassed
the only major thing I had to do to it was replace the front wheel bearings at about 170k mi (had to do it 3 times cuz the cheap autozone ones kept buzzing after 2 weeks, made them upgrade me to a better brand after the second set failed... Shocked ) and had to replace the half-shafts cuz i think we messed them up during one of the bearing changes...
Had to replace a cracked flex-plate at about 270k mi...while it was out, I replaced valve cover and oil pan gaskets, timing chain (tho i think it was still good...just cheap insurance) and had to replace coolant elbows cuz they practically disintegrated when we pulled the engine....
Replaced the cooling fan/shroud combo when a fan died (I sat and idled alot) and then upgraded to the ZZP aluminum oversized radiator when the trans cooler in the stocker decided to start leaking ATF into the coolant...

I think I could have easily gotten another 100k out of her...

Matt
milwaukee_01impala
Senior Level
Senior Level

Posts per day: 0.66

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2001 Chevrolet Express

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:05 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

155k here. only things i've done are the water pump, lim and the shift solenoids in the tranny. otherwise the car has treated me good.

interior/exterior:BBEngineering led LS cluster,BBEngineering led HVAC control,BBEngineering DRL/ALC bypass,quad headlights,impala embroidered floormats,20%tint,auto ventshade vent visors,LED tail lamps/front turn signals,LED interior/reverse/license plate lights,silverstar hi/lo beams,turn signal mirrors,aftermarket moonroof,17" Helo slick rims
REDLINE
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.35

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2000 GMC Sierra
2001 Chevrolet S10
1994 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:22 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

mooreapi wrote:
I bought mine with 155k mi on the odo and stopped driving it at 295k mi, but only because it got repo'd... Embarassed

Lmao - They're getting pretty desperate to repo a ride w/almost 300 rounds on it! I guess it doesn't matter, it's money owed. Razz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: