NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Burping System?
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Burping System?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Problems with my car!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
impalafirst
Dedicated
Dedicated

Posts per day: 0.1

2014 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:37 pm    Post subject:  Burping System? Reply with quote

I have air trapped behind my dash, i hear the swooshing of water all day and especially when engine is cold. I burped it from the thermostat after it opens with radiator cap on and I tried with cap off with heat turned to on. I did it with heater fan full blast and with fan off. I used the Denlors Funnel method found here for 1 hour. http://www.denlorstools.com/ho....._adap.html

I burped while rpm were at 2000, while at idle. No more coolant will go into system which I believe the swooshing indicates low of coolant. MY rad and recovery tank are full. My coolant is orange with no strange appearance. I am not missing coolant nor is there coolant in my oil nor is my oil level high. Thermostat opens and closes as should. Water pump is new and no leaks. Why can't I get the air out?
ZSPOT
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 1.27

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Ford Mustang
1981 Chevrolet Silverado
2007 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:22 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Not sure what your problem might be. I've opened the cooling system many times on my 3800, and never had a problem bleeding all the air out. Usually holding the RPM at 2500 for a little bit with the radiator cap on, then opening the bleed screw takes care of it.

Are you getting normal engine temps when driving? Got heat from your heater core before your thermostat opens?

Dedicated
Dedicated

2014 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:35 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Engine temps are normal while driving. When I stop and sit at a light the needle will rise toward and sit on the middle. Once it tips past middle fans would kick on and cool down. That is fine for the summer but now that it is cold out I would normally get 1 click before middle while standing at light and stay there until I move again. Heat is good no change from prior years. I don't turn my heat on until the needle is 1/3 up the dial. Its a 3.8 with 101,000 miles
98ss
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.26

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:04 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Try opening the bleed screw. That or start it up with the radiator cap off, let the car heat up and the when the the t-stat opens it should drop quite a bit. It may make a mess when it opens if you have a little bit of air in there.
impalafirst
Dedicated
Dedicated

2014 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:12 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Still the same. I'm just going to dig into the top end of motor and see what is going on. Will order a new UIM with gaskets and gasket set for LIM. Once I get into it maybe the problem will reveal itself.
impalafirst
Dedicated
Dedicated

2014 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:16 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I am almost ready to start doing the intake gaskets. Just need some arp lube for the intake bolts, oil fliter and a in/lb torque wrench. I will pick up a Craftsman torque wrench from Sears in the morning. My ft/lb torque came today by snail mail late. Will start tomorrow around noon, my aniexity is up as I've never been that deep into an engine.
impalafirst
Dedicated
Dedicated

2014 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:20 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I am 4 hours into the job.Got the UIM off saw oil easing out along some portions of the gasket but can't see any breaks or tears in the gasket. Looks like a Fel Pro gasket and not the original, but I have seen an original to be sure. I came inside apt. to dismantle the throttle body from the UIM. Will go back out to tackle the lower. The egr tube that lays across the exhaust crosser won't come out of the LIM. Any tips on getting it out??
98ss
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.26

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:59 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

impalafirst wrote:
I am 4 hours into the job.Got the UIM off saw oil easing out along some portions of the gasket but can't see any breaks or tears in the gasket. Looks like a Fel Pro gasket and not the original, but I have seen an original to be sure. I came inside apt. to dismantle the throttle body from the UIM. Will go back out to tackle the lower. The egr tube that lays across the exhaust crosser won't come out of the LIM. Any tips on getting it out??

Did you get the nut that holds the egr tube to the lower intake?
impalafirst
Dedicated
Dedicated

2014 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:34 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Yes i got that nut. I see i will have to tilt that end of the LIM up to get it out.
I am bummed out because I broke the snap on piece that connects the cruise cable to the throttle body. I also broke a vacumm line that goes from the TB to the Fuel pressure thing. The studs that go into the new UIM need a 4mm socket and i don't have nothing smaller then a 5mm. I am hoping Zspot have those parts.
tiltrotor22
Dedicated
Dedicated

Posts per day: 0.13

2008 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:20 am    Post subject:  Same Reply with quote

I hear the water swooshing in the dash on my '08 Impala as well. Temps always hold normal and heater works great so I have done nothing about it yet.
Now I am curious as if I should. I have yet to have the system flushed and filled or ever burped. I bet a simple burping will fix my issue, maybe ill do that soon.
But as im going through my third winter in this car, ill wait till the temps start to rise and then have the cooling system maintenance done.
impalafirst
Dedicated
Dedicated

2014 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:01 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I have 3 more days with temps near 50 degrees. I got to get to a junk yard to see if I can find a impala with what I need. I am hoping ZSPOT can get the parts.
buzzstpoint
Dedicated
Dedicated

Posts per day: 0.09

2000 Chevrolet Impala
1995 Chevrolet Silverado
2000 Saturn L-Series

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:15 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I had that water sound under my dash for a long time.

I'm saying it's either the intake gaskets or Head gaskets.
When Replaced those in my car the sound has since gone away.

impalafirst
Dedicated
Dedicated

2014 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:52 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Found my leaks. The gasket show 2 water jackets leaking, the picture shows the evidence.

impalafirst
Dedicated
Dedicated

2014 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I am all done the Upper and Lower manifolds as of Sunday. It took me 7 hrs total time including arun to the junk yard, all work done in my apt. complex parking lot. I think I could now do it again in 5hrs. knowing the pitfalls in advance. 1. Be careful with the vacumm tubing, they snap like twigs. 2. Be careful removing the cruise cable from throttle body. I broke the clip that holds it on. 3. Put car in neutral before removing upper motor mount on passenger side.

I have come to realize the plastic coolant elbows will always need replacing so keep a pair handy. My car runs smoother and I think mainly because of cleaning the throttle body while it was off the car. My temps are normal and I will monitor it the nextcouple of days. Thanks to Sabrewings for the write-up in the articles section.
impalafirst
Dedicated
Dedicated

2014 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Coolant elbow is leaking again. This will be the 3rd time I had to change them. I think now it is a waste of time and need to find a solution to stop it occuring again. could the tensioner be the problem?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Problems with my car! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: