NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Ball joint bushing torn
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Ball joint bushing torn

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jayme
Dedicated
Dedicated

Posts per day: 0.1

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:54 pm    Post subject:  Ball joint bushing torn Reply with quote

I was in the shop today for an oil change and tire rotation (yeah, I should change my own, but I had a coupon and I can't buy the oil and filter as cheap as my coupon was for).
While the front wheel was off, they noticed the bushing around both my ball joints was torn about halfway down. About $420 to fix both sides and do the alignment, they said.

Is this a reasonable price, and is it maybe cheaper just to buy both control arms and replace them, since that would take less labor I think?

How long can I drive it like this? The control arm wasn't hitting the engine cradle, maybe .5 inch clearance still there.

Start them out right...
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.63

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:27 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I wouldn't drive with it if the bushing is torn up and you know about it. You can probably get new control arms for about 60 bucks a side on Rock Auto. Doing the job yourself isn't too bad since it's just a few bolts and you can destroy the ball joint while you remove it.

That being said, 420 bucks for a shop to do the job including an alignment is fairly reasonable.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
SuperImpala00
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.08

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:27 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

IffyG wrote:
I wouldn't drive with it if the bushing is torn up and you know about it. You can probably get new control arms for about 60 bucks a side on Rock Auto. Doing the job yourself isn't too bad since it's just a few bolts and you can destroy the ball joint while you remove it.

That being said, 420 bucks for a shop to do the job including an alignment is fairly reasonable.

I second that, I got quoted $400 just for one side to be replaced plus an alignment
98ss
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.27

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:43 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

If you have the right tools, the ball joints take about 15-20 minutes each to do and can be done on the car. But you really have to take into account the condition of the other bushings. It may make more sense to do control arms.
chibiblacksheep
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.48

2000 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2007 Chevrolet Impala
1968 Chevrolet Camaro
2013 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:27 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I cracked the cradle of the Monte because the bushing was gone. I wouldn't drive on that...

Resident
Resident
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 0.25

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:16 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

As IffyG said...When you replace the control arm, everything is new.
I would shoot ZSPOT a PM for a price,or maybe he will post here.
Frank
Master Level
Master Level
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 0.78

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:30 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I have the tool to replace the control arm bushings, but if I had to do it over again (since I did the ball joints at the same time), I would just buy the Wbodystore or ZZP ones...the reason being that you might as well do the ball joints while you're in there, and the ball joints are pressed into the control arm from the factory, and they're a total pain in the ass to get out. It probably took me an hour and a half on each side just getting the ball joints out once I had the arms off the car.

I have heard if you have a hydraulic press you can just press the bushings out.

Jayme
Dedicated
Dedicated

Posts per day: 0.1

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:35 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

That's probably what I'm going to end up doing, I don't have access to a press or really any special tooling, and it looks like it isn't too hard to replace the whole control arm itself.
RockAuto showed a separate part number for nonpolice/taxi control arms vs. police/taxi ones, does anyone know the difference?

Start them out right...
SuperImpala00
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.08

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:46 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Jayme wrote:
That's probably what I'm going to end up doing, I don't have access to a press or really any special tooling, and it looks like it isn't too hard to replace the whole control arm itself.
RockAuto showed a separate part number for nonpolice/taxi control arms vs. police/taxi ones, does anyone know the difference?

I believe the difference is they use polyurethane bushing instead of rubber ones and the ball joints are heavy duty versions with greasable zerks. I just replaced both of mine with the Mevotech control arms off of Rockauto, I'd recommend them if your looking for good stock replacements.
Frank
Master Level
Master Level
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 0.78

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:16 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I believe the control arms are thicker on the 9C1...I've never seen any non-9C1 ones so I can't be sure...

The ball joints I think are the same; factory 9C1 ball joints do not have grease fittings in them.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: