NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - To keep or to sell/trade
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

To keep or to sell/trade

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jnibbs24
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.28

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:03 am    Post subject:  To keep or to sell/trade Reply with quote

So here's the dealio, 149k and ticking. I still owe 3k on it. I need new tires, new outside passenger rear door handle, new floor matts, could use new headlights, they are foggy looking.. small dent on driver door which I'm not really concerned about. Need to add a few more led int lights right now its half n half, and I got that vibration thing on front riverside that idk what is the cause of it. I want to sell it but I'm thinking with high mileage any ideas? I know in a trade in I might get 3k. And I don't want car payments.. been looking at a jeep grand Cherokee or Monte Carlo SS. I won't get more then 4 4.5 for it..

Posts per day: 0.01

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:09 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

They won't give you 3k on it as a trade, if they do, they'll screw you on the car you buy. To a private party.......3,750 would work.
SuperImpala00
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.08

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:28 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

honestly man I would keep it, impala's are built like a tank or at least mine is in my opinion. Drove it around with bad cv axles, blown out ball joints, horrible alignment and a cracked radiator all at the same time since I was broke and out of a job.....she still kept ticking. I would argue it's probable the most durable car I've ever driven and I just recently hit 262,000.
Jnibbs24
Uber
Uber

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:53 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Well that's another thing I was thinking. It was a 1 owner before me, old lady bought from stealership and i only have 3k more to pay. But she has never failed on me, even with my 2 week stint of gas leakage Smile . On my way to work some guy offered me 7k and I laughed @ him. But he said he's always wanted one. I said id sell for 4-5k. He took my number down but I'm sure its BS. I'm running into some extra mooolah soon so I figured is get new tires and figure out Wtf is wrong with the front end... It's been like that since I got it, its just more noticeable now, which can't be a good thing....

Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.27

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:22 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

There was a time when I had to decide if I wanted to keep or sell. My stereo is worth more than my car, and all the time and money I put into it. I'm on my third tranny and have some minor paint problems. But after all we've been through I couldn't do it. Had Impy for 8 years now. Engine is still strong, hasn't left me stranded, and when she gets a bath she doesn't look half bad. 3K is a lot to owe on a car like ours, unless you just got it. You'd be lucky to break even if you sell. Then if you go get another used vehicle you start all over again with payments. You'll be the best judge of what you can pull off money wise and if you should keep her. I'm going to keep mine until she just plain outright dies on me. But if I could start all over again I'd never buy her again.
grimsin
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.4

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:40 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I owe $2600 on my Imp still, I have done a tranny, back brakes. 4 new tires,driver side stepper motor for heat.fuel filter, spark plug &wires,undercoat every year, all tires were leaking so due to aluminum rims so got that fixed.
NEEDS: front brakes. new ignition. probably a few thing i dont know of yet....
My point is any car will slowly break down and if you dont fix them when you notice it builds quickly, so would you rather sell the car and start payments alllll over again, then when your owe 3-4k again on you "new"car your gonna have all these lil issues again! and be wondering the same question.
or would you rahter just pay it off, use 6 months of those payments you dont have to make anymore to make your car stock & reliable again.
im going for option 2. but if you want a racekar! go option 1.
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.56

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:25 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I hate to say it, but selling this car and buying another car that is out (or almost out of warranty) is a bad prospect. You'll end up in a never ending cycle of having a car that is always in need of repairs and is worth less than you owe.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
grimsin
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.4

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:52 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Iffy you took my whole essay i typed out and put it into 1 sentence...lol
i should of just waited for your response and then posted +1 on IFFy what said, it woulda saved me time lols.
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:00 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Laughing Sorry about that. I'm just going on the experience my brother is having with his 'new' car. He was tooling around in a paid for 2002 Oldsmobile Intrigue, but he didn't think it was nice enough for him so he went ahead and bout a CPO Saturn Astra with a 12 month/12k warranty.

He was paying a few hundred bucks every few months to fix his Intrigue when things broke, so he figured he'd by a newer car and make a payment instead. Now his Astra is out of the warranty coverage and he is spending a few hundred bucks every few months in addition to his car payment and increased insurance due to having to carry full coverage.

For that reason alone, I don't think I'll ever by a used car that's more than a year or two old. Nothing is worse than making a payment on a car and paying to have it fixed when it breaks.

Dan wrote:

d
Jnibbs24
Uber
Uber

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:18 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Valid points, I think once I find out what's wrong with the front end, I'll make my decision. The tranny has never showed any signs of slippage, and when I did the fluid change on the tranny, there were a few very small sediments and a nice color to the fluid. after I had her for about 20K miles. That's the only thing that really bothers me is the front end making that noise and it possibly being a money pit until I can pin point what went wrong..

Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:56 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

where is the vibration being felt? Steering wheel? car body?
Fearless2005
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.07

2009 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:56 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I would keep it. If the engine/transmission were acting up, then yes I would probably look for another car. The fact is if you were to buy a newer vehicle, you would still have a payment(probably higher too) and who knows what kind of shape that car is in.

You know this car's history so you know what kind of shape it's in. I would put off the little mods here and there if money is an issue.

btw it looks great!
Jnibbs24
Uber
Uber

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:09 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The vibe is coming from left front wheel, I can feel it in the pedal as well as steering wheel.. it disappears when I turn the wheel to the right, then turn it back to the left I feel it again. I already rotated my tires and its still there...

Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:16 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

without actually looking at it, I would guess cv axle. my car did the same thing. best thing you can do is get a pry bar and start moving things around. If it moves around substantially then that's it. Be careful though!
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:30 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Could also be a horribly worn hub. Jack it up and give the wheel a wiggle and see if it has any play in it.

Dan wrote:

d
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: