NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - At my end with these AC compressors
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

At my end with these AC compressors

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Problems with my car!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chibiblacksheep
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.47

2000 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2007 Chevrolet Impala
1968 Chevrolet Camaro
2013 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:33 am    Post subject:  At my end with these AC compressors Reply with quote

I need some opinions.

Last month I was up at my parents' and when I was about to leave I started the Monte to let it warm up a tad. I was saying goodbye and all of a sudden a LOUD rattling noise started to come from the AC Compressor. The second I turned the defroster on and engaged the compressor the noise went away. Not a big deal, I have a second car to drive, I can still get this one home and the noise wasn't there with the engaged compressor. So lately I have been driving the Monte 1x a week just to keep it from sitting.

This morning the Camaro (L36 powered also) started to MAKE THE SAME DAMN NOISE!!!! Bang Head

So now I have 2 cars with noisy compressors. I don't even know now if this is safe to drive with. Would it eventually seize up, is it okay to drive with the compressors just on all the time until next month when I actually have the money to replace the compressors?

Is there something I can do in the mean time? I was going to bypass, but I need my defroster. I was thinking of just honestly hitting the Camaro's compressor with some WD-40 to see if that helps.

My assumption with the problem is that it is the bearings that allow the compressor to spin freely when it isn't engaged. But IDK if that can be replaced without ripping off the compressor, losing all my refrigerant, and then having to actually pay to get it all charged again.

Any information would help. I need to figure this out Sad

Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 1.58

2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2009 Subaru Impreza

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:04 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

My AC compressor on my monte has been noisy for about 3 years now. Waiting for it to go out so I can delete it all together.

Resident Prick, at your service.
SS - Corsa Catback, RT 3" DP, CC T304 PLOG, Wizaired, ZZP Offset Polys, GMPP Koni Kit, Hella Projectrofits, PT, ZZP HVTB, 10.4's
chibiblacksheep
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.47

2000 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2007 Chevrolet Impala
1968 Chevrolet Camaro
2013 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:14 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Noisy like a loud ass metal rattle, that stays until you turn the compressor on?

It's a little quiet in this video because it was a good day, normally I can hear it with the windows up and the radio on.

Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.1

2009 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:23 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

You can just replace the AC clutch assembly. About $80.00 ( Autozone) and about an hours worth of work with compressor still on the car. It does not discharge the system.

You will need to rent the removal/ replacement Tool for the clutch spring plate. ( O'Reilly has a good kit ( $110.00 refundable on return). and Snap ring pliers for the Snap ring that holds the pulley on the compressor. and rock the engine forward so the clutch is easier to get to, sort of like when we do spark plugs.

You get to it from the wheel opening on the passenger side. have to take off the plastic lower inner liner attached to the body.

A lot easier and cheaper that replacing the compressor and you don't have to pay for an AC specalist to discharge and recharge the system.

There are videos that show you how to change on on Youtube.

The option I took on my 99 3.8 Lumina and on my neighbors 2003 impala.

The choice is yours.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Problems with my car! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: