NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Hesitation, Rpm problem. Video& Pic of my Car...to lure
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Hesitation, Rpm problem. Video& Pic of my Car...to lure
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Problems with my car!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
2001Ls
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.23

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:35 pm    Post subject:  Hesitation, Rpm problem. Video& Pic of my Car...to lure Reply with quote

Quickly heres what I've had done since tuesday. My car died on the highway, I got it towed. Car would start but shake violently, CEL code read misfire. I ended up at the dealer, they replaced the cat (supposedly, it doesnt look new), 02 sensors, the 1-5 coil pack, ignition module. Car doesn't shake violently any more, idles smoothly (a bit of rumble). Now when driving, at around 2k rpm , it dies and loses power It will accelerate very very slowly to whatever speed I need to go, but it will only rev to about 2k then, bam no power. It's kinda acccelerates like I was driving a garbage truck. There are no CEL codes now.

Here is A Video of me Driving and the Acceleration/ RPM -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4xJLb9SnZ4

To try and remedy the problem I have
1. Checked front 3 spark plug gaps.
2. Cleaned MAF and tried running with old MAF
3. Replaced fuel filter (bit of PITA but done)
4) removed and cleaned IAC valve, air temp sensor
5. Tightened as many vacuum lines as I could reach

I can hear something making noise when I press the throttle, like air rushing near the rear of the Upper intake, but its very small.

Ive taken the car to a local mechanic and a dealer and I seem to know just as much as they do (which is bad becase I have no mechanical backround or school) I wanted to see if you guys have any ideas. If I cant fix it I will try to find a better mechanic, but I'm tired Ive been trying to fix it since yesterday morning and I need a break to do homework, watch HBO, or play xbox. Hollar at me if you've got any ideas. Thanks.

2001 Impala LS 81k as of Nov,2011
3.8 V6 3800 Series 2
2001Ls
Resident
Resident

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:31 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Still need help. Bump

3.8 V6 3800 Series 2
Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 2.31

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:37 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Still looks like a cat problem to me. If it doesn't look like they changed it, then they didn't change it.

What was your dealership bill for the catalytic converter replacement? Should be several hundred. In Ontario it's about 800, but we get hosed for parts so yours is guaranteed to be some amount less than that (400-600?)

If the cat is backed up,the transmission will not run out to high rpms. When my cat went I couldn't rev past about 3500-4000 rpm. It started normally and over time would lose and lose and lose power. When the rpms refused to go up, it was time to hit the dealership because the car would barely climb the bigger hills around here.

I could be wrong, but I think it is cylinder 6 which is most likely to show ignition problems when the cat is backed up. Did they tell you/do you know which cylinder was misfiring?

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Frank4202
Senior Level
Senior Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.75

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1997 Chevrolet Corvette

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:38 am    Post subject:  Re: Hesitation, Rpm problem. Video& Pic of my Car...to l Reply with quote

2001Ls wrote:
I ended up at the dealer, they replaced the cat (supposedly, it doesnt look new)

Bring it back then cause thats where your problem is.

Sold 28/10/11
Bill58
Resident
Resident
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 0.2

2006 Chevrolet Impala
2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:09 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

# 1-bad cat....still
# 2-fuel pump...really low fuel pressure and/or volume
# 3-check air filter....animals make nests in strange places
2001Ls
Resident
Resident

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:20 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Thank you for the replies! I was hoping somebody would have a magic solution,, like a sensor or something.

Just to answer: I did check out my air intake, filter, and TB no blockages. Could be fuel pump but it was changed last year. The cat they warrantied. The dealers invoice says "replace cat converter" they include the gaskets they used and bolts on invoice. So they say they did it, but when I was under the car replacing the Fuel Filter I peeked at it and the metal was not new looking, so IDK.

One more hypothesis is that CAT honeycomb got stuck in the pipe behind the converter. What would be a good way to check if its still an exhaust problem? Would a back pressure test take care of that? And how can I know if a shop has the equipment to do the test? Thanks.

3.8 V6 3800 Series 2
Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:19 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Yes, a backpressure test will reveal a blockage in the system, somewhere.

In my experience, a resonsible dealership will take the car out for a test drive to ensure the problem is fixed.

My understanding is that it's not legal to install a used catalytic converter, so if your cat does not look new and it was recently installed, then the dealer may have been dishonest with you... although I would be surprised to see a branded dealership try to pull something like that.

Why don't you bring it back to the dealership? Clearly something is wrong and their repair did not eliminate the problem.

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
2001Ls
Resident
Resident

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:28 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Thanks Lingenfelter. I was at the dealer from 11am to 5pm Friday (was waiting there the whole time) after they installed the new cat, installed the new coil pack, and installed the ignition module they took it out for a quick drive. The manager came to me and said "uh, it still drives badly. Why don't you try to install a new fuel filter. See you later!". I installed the new fuel filter but not helping. In retrospect they didn't do all they could, they didn't test back pressure, fuel pressure, or vacuum. Im deciding whether to bring it back to them or to the local guy, but the local guy was very perplexed the first time around. The dealer is always a whole day experience and they are vastly incompetent being that I've has multiple times they didn't repair things and then told me to pick the car up only to bring it back 2 or 3 times. Ugh.

3.8 V6 3800 Series 2
Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:44 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

2001Ls wrote:
Thanks Lingenfelter. I was at the dealer from 11am to 5pm Friday (was waiting there the whole time) after they installed the new cat, installed the new coil pack, and installed the ignition module they took it out for a quick drive. The manager came to me and said "uh, it still drives badly. Why don't you try to install a new fuel filter. See you later!". I installed the new fuel filter but not helping. In retrospect they didn't do all they could, they didn't test back pressure, fuel pressure, or vacuum. Im deciding whether to bring it back to them or to the local guy, but the local guy was very perplexed the first time around. The dealer is always a whole day experience and they are vastly incompetent being that I've has multiple times they didn't repair things and then told me to pick the car up only to bring it back 2 or 3 times. Ugh.

Taking it somewhere else, or even telling them that you had it in another shop, period, will only muddy the waters and give them someone else to point fingers at.

When you speak to the manager, tell them that you want the problem taken care of and leave a phone number they can contact you at before making any repairs. If you're polite with them, the manager may sympathize that you blew a bunch of money there for a car that was not properly repaired. Make sure he knows that blindly replacing parts is something you can do on your own.

You're paying them shop fees to troubleshoot and fix what needs fixing, not throwing parts on it without adequate diagnostic work.

If these guys are just going to keep throwing parts on your car in hopes of fixing the problem, then take your car to another dealership (not this confused fellow you're talking about). Write or call in your concerns and experience to GM customer service and they'll likely throw a bunch of basic service coupons your way for your trouble.

Once this issue is solved, I would recommend using a different GM dealership. It doesn't sound like this one is treating you appropriately, but remember when dealing with them that giving them attitude or hassling them will not improve your customer experience, even if it feels good to tell em they're doin' a crappy job. Very Happy

overlordspock
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.14

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Chevrolet Silverado
2008 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Malibu
2009 Pontiac G8
2014 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:57 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

2001Ls wrote:

I will second Lingenfelter and say that you want to stick with this dealership until there is no hope for them resolving the issue. Taking it somewhere else allows the dealer to avoid any claim of wrongdoing.

Take the car back and speak with the service manager. Be polite, but assertive. Show him or her the list of things the service department already claims they did. If you have concerns about the cat not being new, point that out to the service manager, even to the point of showing specific things on the cat itself that cause you to question if it was new. Explain that you brought the car in for symptoms and, even after a test drive, the technician said the symptoms still existed and dumped the car back in your lap.

Above all, be polite, but don't bend.

And, after this is all taken care of, don't go back to that dealer. Smile

2009 Pontiac G8 GT - Sport Red Metallic, Kooks LTs w/ Cats, Corsa Catback, RotoFab CAI, HomeLink
2014 Impala 2LT - Black, No Mods
2008 Silverado LTZ Z71 - Black, Extended Cab, Spray-on Bedliner
2008 Impala SS - Precision Red, Magnaflow, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Overkill Tune, Front/Rear STBs w/ Don Rome Brackets SOLD
2005 Impala LS - Summit White, Front/Rear STBs w/ Don Rome Brackets, BBE Monte SS Cluster SOLD
2001Ls
Resident
Resident

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:13 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Thanks Lingenfelter and Spock.

Just a comment ... "the manager may sympathize that you blew a bunch of money there for a car"... the guy agreed to replace the cat under extended warranty which I was not eligible for. The 10 year period ended in July so I am a bit hesitant to be pushy because I dodged about $700 there. But I do see your point. I have had aabout 4 experiences where I called the service department and boiled over at them, I has a squeak that I was assured was fixed with a new belt tensioner 2 years ago and after 3 trips and 2 missed days of work it hadnt been fixed (it still squeaks today). I also had the ABS problem and after leaving the car there for 2 days I picked it up only to have the grinding come back after 2 miles down the road. I will be diplomatic tomorrow when I bring it back, I am a bit ashamed to walk into the dealership because I have given almost every manager an earful. Though they deserve it after missing work and multiple rips for the same problem I have tried to relax these days. On friday I was cool. It just so anxiety inducing knowing that they are blowing smoke at me almost every time. IDK maybe i'll buy them a fruit basket tomorrow and my car will start being looked at carefully. Oh and on a side not I noticed all the people actually working on cars there are in there early 20's. I guess they go with the philosophy of hiring young guys out of school cheap and axing experienced techs who are good at fixing cars.

3.8 V6 3800 Series 2
Irish_alley
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.15

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1986 GMC Sierra
1994 Chevrolet Silverado
1984 GMC Sierra
1979 Chevrolet Silverado
1991 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:10 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

did you ever unbolt the cat and see what happens?

Sorry if i'm an a**hole, but i tend to speak whats on my mind and the truth as i see it.. May not be right but it seamed right.
2001Ls
Resident
Resident

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:02 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I asked my local guy t do it... he gave me a hard time and wouldnt do it. The Dealer says they replaced it. I'm not sure.

3.8 V6 3800 Series 2
Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:15 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Backpressure test is a good place to start and any decent dealership or exhaust shop should be able to help you there.

Spock did a better job of explaining how to handle them, by saying "be assertive but dont bend"

If the backpressure test comes out ok, then it's time to start looking at combustion items, but I'm still bent on the catalytic converter - especially if they claim it was replaced despite being out of warranty. Surely, you were still hit with a decent bill for other parts they changed - which it's worth noting - did not solve your problem.

Take some clear pictures of your cat. We may be able to determine if it was replaced or not just by viewing images. Make sure you take pics of the bolts and/or welds where the cat is connected into the area as well.

2001Ls
Resident
Resident

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:17 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

It's still in the shop. Going on to day 4 or 5 without the car. Yay! lol

3.8 V6 3800 Series 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Problems with my car! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: