NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Wheel Bearing Help
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Wheel Bearing Help
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TeenBeach
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.12

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2002 Kia Rio

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:19 pm    Post subject:  Wheel Bearing Help Reply with quote

Alright, so plain and simple I need to do my two passenger side wheel bearings. I know there is alot of talk about zzp and how they are the one of the leading 3800 aftermarket companies. So I trust them. I was wondering if their single front and single rear 97-03 Grand Prix Wheel Bearing would fit my 2003 chevy impala ls? I am guessing it would.

Also, this will be me and my friend's first time doing wheel bearings on the impala. I will follow the how-to guide and if I have any questions i'll ask. My only question so far would be where to get new hub bolts - gm part number 18022052. Are those the same bolts for the rear? Are their different kinds? Such as stainless steel.... just wondering. I know alot of questions but I like to be prepared the first time and get it done right the first time. Thank you in advance!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
MISHNAH
Master Level
Master Level

Posts per day: 0.63

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Mercedes-Benz E Class
2006 Nissan Murano
2003 BMW 5 Series

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:25 pm    Post subject:  Re: Wheel Bearing Help Reply with quote

TeenBeach wrote:
Alright, so plain and simple I need to do my two passenger side wheel bearings. I know there is alot of talk about zzp and how they are the one of the leading 3800 aftermarket companies. So I trust them. I was wondering if their single front and single rear 97-03 Grand Prix Wheel Bearing would fit my 2003 chevy impala ls? I am guessing it would.

Also, this will be me and my friend's first time doing wheel bearings on the impala. I will follow the how-to guide and if I have any questions i'll ask. My only question so far would be where to get new hub bolts - gm part number 18022052. Are those the same bolts for the rear? Are their different kinds? Such as stainless steel.... just wondering. I know alot of questions but I like to be prepared the first time and get it done right the first time. Thank you in advance!

Go to rockauto.com and order the Timken hubs, they're generally regarded as the best aftermarket hubs. ZZP's are the usual chinese hubs, you dont want those lol. Grand Prix hubs are the same as the Impala's, fyi.

The hub bolts can be bought at your local dealer, they are $2-3 each, three for each front hub, 4 for each rear hub. They are different between the front and back hubs. Or you can just apply some loctite to the old bolts, I've done that also without any problems.

2002 Galaxy Silver Sedan - LS cluster - Debadged - Intrigue compass/autodim mirror - DIC - Regal graphite leather seats - LS console with floor shift conversion - Monte Carlo black leather steering wheel - LS springs - KYB GR-2 Struts - GMPP sway bars and rear STB - Fog light frontend harness - LS Bumper with fog lights - Painted trim and side skirts

2006 Nissan Murano - Autodim/compass mirror
2006 Mercedez-Benz E350 - Stock for stock, its faster than an SS, woot!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.61

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:34 pm    Post subject:  Re: Wheel Bearing Help Reply with quote

MISHNAH wrote:

Go to rockauto.com and order the Timken hubs, they're generally regarded as the best aftermarket hubs. ZZP's are the usual chinese hubs, you dont want those lol. Grand Prix hubs are the same as the Impala's, fyi.

This. I'd also check out Amazon as well. I got my hubs for a few bucks cheaper than Rock Auto with the free super saver shipping.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
nightryder
Master Level
Master Level

Posts per day: 0.81

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2005 Subaru Impreza

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:19 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Zzp's hubs are timken.

No need to replace the bolts.

Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2002 Kia Rio

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:24 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick reply guys. Alright, I looked at rock auto and the timkens are a little more expensive but if I'm paying for very good quality and not some chinese s**t, then my money is well spent. How do you know if ZZP is timkens or crap? I would love to support ZZP instead of buying from somewhere else. So can someone legitly verify that they are timkens?

I have abs by the way, so just for clarification.. I need part number 512237 and 513179? I am going to look other places just to see if I can get it cheaper, but ZZP seems to be the cheapest if they are timkens. I need to get my wheel bearings done very soon so I can put on my new steelies and tires before the snow starts to fall!! Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
MISHNAH
Master Level
Master Level

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Nissan Murano
2003 BMW 5 Series

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:14 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

nightryder wrote:
Zzp's hubs are timken.

Ummm, no. They've never listed a brand name, and people on ClubGP have had them fail at low mileages and some have said they arent any different than the chinese units. If they were selling Timken, they would say its a Timken, you never sell a top-brand item as your own part, and somehow cheaper also. Laughing

2002 Galaxy Silver Sedan - LS cluster - Debadged - Intrigue compass/autodim mirror - DIC - Regal graphite leather seats - LS console with floor shift conversion - Monte Carlo black leather steering wheel - LS springs - KYB GR-2 Struts - GMPP sway bars and rear STB - Fog light frontend harness - LS Bumper with fog lights - Painted trim and side skirts

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
nightryder
Master Level
Master Level

Posts per day: 0.81

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2005 Subaru Impreza

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:50 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

MISHNAH wrote:
nightryder wrote:
Zzp's hubs are timken.

Ummm, no.

Ummmm, yes they are.

You ever buy one from them? I have, and it was a timken...even came in a timken box.

Going on 20k miles no problems. Don't believe everything you read on CGP.

The best way to find out for certain is to email them and ask.

Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2002 Kia Rio

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:47 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I emailed them this morning about it and I just got a reply. They said they get it in bulk and that it is not branded. They also said it's not brand name. So idk? I think if they get it in bulk for cheap it must be Chinese s**t
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:23 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

If they don't disclose a brand, don't waste your money.

Dan wrote:

d
MISHNAH
Master Level
Master Level

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Nissan Murano
2003 BMW 5 Series

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:32 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

TeenBeach wrote:
I emailed them this morning about it and I just got a reply. They said they get it in bulk and that it is not branded. They also said it's not brand name. So idk? I think if they get it in bulk for cheap it must be Chinese s**t

The true Timkens on rockauto or amazon are about the same price, and shipping will probably be cheaper and faster too.

PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 1.97

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:04 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

So the consensus is they're not Timkens?

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
topgun
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.27

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:18 pm    Post subject:  wheel bearing . . . Reply with quote

I have not done hubs on an impala yet but on my 96 olds LSS it really helped to have a hub puller. Cool

IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:50 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

PushrodPower wrote:
So the consensus is they're not Timkens?

I don't think we need a consensus if ZZP says they are bulk and not branded that says it all for me (especially when real Timkens are approximately the same price on Amazon).

Dan wrote:

d
DerekJeter

Posts per day: 0.01

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt
2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:54 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Another vote for the Timkens here.

If we're not certain about the ZZP hubs (and it certainly sounds doubtful), just go to Amazon or Rock Auto where you can choose the brand name you want. I've also seen them for sale at Autozone but its been awhile; who knows they've probably switched over to the Chinese brands since then.

bigdog60
Resident
Resident
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 0.25

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:15 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Ok I'm being lazy here never checked Rock or the other for a price.Free shipping here. http://www.wheelbearingwarehou.....mp;mode=PS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: