NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - WTF! Got rear-ended again today!
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

WTF! Got rear-ended again today!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Almost Anything Goes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MISHNAH
Master Level
Master Level

Posts per day: 0.63

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Mercedes-Benz E Class
2006 Nissan Murano
2003 BMW 5 Series

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:23 pm    Post subject:  WTF! Got rear-ended again today! Reply with quote

Heading to work this morning, just sitting at the stoplight and BAM get smacked from behind! Mad It was only 4 months ago since the last time the Impala got rear-ended!! Needless to say I punched the console again and shouted out some obscenities Laughing

Some idiot in a Ford Ranger hit me, claimed he had blanked out for second, nice job moron. Rolling Eyes Got his information and will go after his insurance tomorrow, its a small company so hopefully it works and is not expired or something. Confused

The painted bumper trim is gouged now and a bunch of paint has flaked off already, rest of bumper is scratched up too. The license plate and LSU surround were bent nearly in half lol. The left quarter panel has some light damage from the bumper being pushed into it, and the left taillight is pushed in a bit. So besides a new bumper, its going to need some pulling too. Sad

I think Houston really hates my Impala, and my neck Laughing Fortunately this impact was a helluva lot lighter than my last accident, but this time theres a lot more damage.

2002 Galaxy Silver Sedan - LS cluster - Debadged - Intrigue compass/autodim mirror - DIC - Regal graphite leather seats - LS console with floor shift conversion - Monte Carlo black leather steering wheel - LS springs - KYB GR-2 Struts - GMPP sway bars and rear STB - Fog light frontend harness - LS Bumper with fog lights - Painted trim and side skirts

2006 Nissan Murano - Autodim/compass mirror
2006 Mercedez-Benz E350 - Stock for stock, its faster than an SS, woot!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
00impala123
Senior Level
Senior Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.93

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:51 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Damn...not cool. hope everything works out for ya without a price lol

Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.1

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:06 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Go get a quote at the stealership, that's what I did. $3000 estimate turned into a $3000 check, which turned into a different shop doing the work for less than half the price Cool Other things were fixed same time.

Jimi Hendrix wrote:
I've got my own world to live through, and I ain't gonna copy you.
MISHNAH
Master Level
Master Level

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Nissan Murano
2003 BMW 5 Series

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:54 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Havent had a chance to go after his insurance yet, but today I did remove the trunk liners and inspect everything. Besides the tiny dent on the left quarter, the body looks perfect but will still need to be checked since the taillight looks pushed in. The foam support behind the bumper is smashed to bits lol, it did its job awesomely though! Very Happy

We shall see what this week brings lol. Smile

2002 Galaxy Silver Sedan - LS cluster - Debadged - Intrigue compass/autodim mirror - DIC - Regal graphite leather seats - LS console with floor shift conversion - Monte Carlo black leather steering wheel - LS springs - KYB GR-2 Struts - GMPP sway bars and rear STB - Fog light frontend harness - LS Bumper with fog lights - Painted trim and side skirts

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.58

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:00 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Perhaps Houston is telling you to get rid of the Impala. Laughing

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
MISHNAH
Master Level
Master Level

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Nissan Murano
2003 BMW 5 Series

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:57 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

IffyG wrote:
Perhaps Houston is telling you to get rid of the Impala. Laughing

Maybe, its tempting too, but I know I cant get more than 2k for it, and thats throwing in a good $800 of new parts I have for it. Confused I need a work car anyway, cant really take my BMW to all the ports and dirty places I go to for work.

davidhoutz
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.28

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:13 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I retract said statement

Last edited by davidhoutz on Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
jmakinen
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.1

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:47 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I didn't fraud anybody. I got the check, and had the work done at a different shop. It looks completely fine to me, but if I get hit in the same spot again, insurance may not cover it because it wasn't done by the shop that gave me the quote. I can live with that.

EDIT: Here's 2 good quotes from a thread I found after reading your post and having an "Oh $h1t!" moment-

Q. Is it legal to file a damage insurance claim then not fix the damage?
Yes, of course it is. The money is to make you whole. If you don't fix the damage, the car will be worth less when you sell it. Imagine if the other person had smashed your car into little bits. Obviously you wouldn't be repairing your car with the money you would receive, but you would still be owed it, right?

You don't have to state any intent when filing the insurance claim. Generally the insurer will come out, eyeball your car, perform some mystical calculation as to how much they think it would cost you to fix the damage, and send you a check. There's no way they can force you to use that check to repair the car, nor do they care. In some cases people who DO want their car repaired go ahead and have it done, and the insurance pays the repair place directly, but that is more a convenience than anything else.

It really depends on your contract. That said:

You didn't mention whether you have a lienholder or own the vehicle outright, but most insurance companies will only issue a single party check if you hold a clear title. If the vehicle is financed, you can expect them to write a two party check to the body shop/you or to the lienholder/you.

So if you own the vehicle and can furnish a clear title, they'll cut you a check to do with as you will. Frankly, they really don't care whether you have the damage repaired or not.

Oh, and if your vehicle is a total loss, depending on the insurance company, they'll want to retain the vehicle in return for cutting you a check, but you can purchase it back from them as salvage, and pocket the difference.

The page I found this on is here in case you were wondering:
http://ask.metafilter.com/3355.....the-damage

There's other explanations on there, but by the looks of things it doesn't matter what you do with the insurance check, as long as you don't still owe money on the car.

Jimi Hendrix wrote:
I've got my own world to live through, and I ain't gonna copy you.
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.58

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:43 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The last place I'd be getting legal advice is from an ask a question website...

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
00impala123
Senior Level
Senior Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.93

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:59 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I would agree with Iffyg..although what he did was not illegal. (at least in IL). If he had said he was in an accident, got a shop to back him, then took the check when he wasn't, that would be insurance fraud...or if someone else was driving and he said he was...that would be

getting a quote and then deciding to go to a different shop for the repair is not illegal.

Master Level
Master Level

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Nissan Murano
2003 BMW 5 Series

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:20 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

You have the legal right to pick your own body shop, and have the repairs done when you have the time.

The insurance company just wants your off their back, so once they cut you the check, they've done their legal obligation and have very, very few legal connections with you. The most they'll be responsible is if there is hidden damage found later and they issue a supplement check.

If you dont want to repair the car, thats your right, the insurance really doesnt care since they've already settled with you.

davidhoutz
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.28

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:27 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I just called an insurance company to figure this out. I've worked with all types of insurance companys for claims but mostly on houses. Hail, water, fire damage...things like that. Its different on homes, but its legal to keep extra money after the repair has been made. They don't consider it enough money to worry about. This is law for all insurance company's in all states. I guess I was wrong in my earlier statement. But nice to know the real answer now.
MISHNAH
Master Level
Master Level

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Nissan Murano
2003 BMW 5 Series

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:09 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

davidhoutz wrote:
I just called an insurance company to figure this out. I've worked with all types of insurance companys for claims but mostly on houses. Hail, water, fire damage...things like that. Its different on homes, but its legal to keep extra money after the repair has been made. They don't consider it enough money to worry about. This is law for all insurance company's in all states. I guess I was wrong in my earlier statement. But nice to know the real answer now.

If there's a loan or mortgage on the car or house, the leinholder will chase your ass down if you dont have what is "their" property fixed as needed to maintain their investment. Laughing

xMADMAGx

Posts per day: 0.01

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:17 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

When it rains it pours doesn't it?

Not really much to add to the conversation but be glad that you didn't have the two accidents happen in between repairs because that's a nightmare trying to get each insurance company to try and decide how much damage each is responsible for...the joy of winter weather commuting.

I have gone through Houston a few times, I thought that the city liked Impalas, I mean, I noticed that you could see one for every 8 to 10 trucks...lol

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Almost Anything Goes All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: