NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Lug nuts for SS rims
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Lug nuts for SS rims

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boaisy

Posts per day: 0

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:15 am    Post subject:  Lug nuts for SS rims Reply with quote

I have been a moderate lurker of the forums, and this is obviously my first post. I've searched the forum a bit, and haven't found a clear answer to my problem. Most other issues I have search on here I have found with ease, but this one is giving me a little trouble.

I have a 2004 Impala that had the steel wheel on it, and I recently got SS Alloy rims to go on it. However, (stupid me) I did not realize that the steel wheel nuts weren't supposed to go on them. These are the nuts with the external thread for the plastic caps.

The reason I noticed is I recently took it to get an alignment (at the same place who put the wheels on), and they noticed that the holes on the wheels are getting shaved by the steel wheel nuts. They told me I had to get nuts that go would aluminum wheels, but didn't tell me exactly what I would need for the seat pattern.

My question is, what is the regular seat pattern that goes on the SS Impala rims (Bulge, Mag, etc.)? If possible, can anyone point me to a picture of the factory lug nuts on the SS Impala rims so I can get an idea of what I need to get. I do autocross events in my Impala, and the next event is this Sunday, so I am a bit pressed for time.

If you need pictures of the wheels or nuts I have, I can get them sometime tonight as my work hours are 8am-8pm CST. Also because of the work hours, I may be a little late to respond.

Thanks in advance,

Boaisy
Dominus
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.08

2004 Chevrolet Impala
2009 BMW 3 Series

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:41 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

mine look something like this if it helps:

i actually have 15 extra I need to get rid of since today is the imps last day. you can have them for the price of shipping but i doubt theyd make it there in time for sunday

No. That would imply everyone here would overlook all it's glaring flaws and all of the better competition while talking about how much they like it.
Pitch Black SS
NAIOA Owner / Founder
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

Posts per day: 2.58

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1982 Chevrolet Malibu
2007 Chrysler 300C
1986 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:46 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I thought they used the same lugs, My SS had those on it from the factory with the plastic covers. Later changed them out to a set of chrome ones because I kept losing the caps.

if Im not mistaken, they are M12x1.5 acorn style

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:38 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Pitch Black SS wrote:
I thought they used the same lugs, My SS had those on it from the factory with the plastic covers. Later changed them out to a set of chrome ones because I kept losing the caps.

if Im not mistaken, they are M12x1.5 acorn style

That is what I thought, but apparently the ones used on the steel wheels are tearing up the holes on the aluminum ones. I noticed on GMpartsdirect, there are two different nuts, but no way of telling which is which.

I did happen to stop by AutoZone and grab some of these. (M12 x 1.5) I have used the nuts like those before on my 87 IROC, and they work fine. Will try them out tomorrow to see if they will do the trick.
Dan
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.32

1991 Jeep Cherokee

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:08 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I use bulged and capped acorns on stock SS wheels and 18s. I used to have locks but the key got legs twice and I didn't want to deal with it again. Those stock open lugs with poly caps are awful.

Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 2.34

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:46 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
I use bulged and capped acorns on stock SS wheels and 18s. I used to have locks but the key got legs twice and I didn't want to deal with it again. Those stock open lugs with poly caps are awful.

I always throw them either in the owner's manual sleeve, or in the spare wheel well, wrapped in a shop towel to prevent noise.

I find that they disappear mostly when you take the vehicle into shops.

I agree, the stock nuts with plastic caps are terrible.

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Redshiba
Dedicated
Dedicated
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.1

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2009 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:25 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I used the Stainless capped type of lug nuts on my SS Wheels. Like These.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LUG-NU.....336cfbcd9d

Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.36

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2000 GMC Sierra
2001 Chevrolet S10
1994 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:22 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Capped lugs don't seem to be impact friendly Wink

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:27 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

So I bought some like Dominus had chrome bulge style. The regular nuts that came with the lock nut set at AutoZone (doorman) were too long except for the lock lug itself. So I have been running on 1 black lock nut and 4 chrome nuts on each wheel for almost 2 months now, and it seems to have not caused any issues with the wheels.

Looking at the nuts that were on the steel wheels, it looked like someone had shaved a nice sized ring into the angled pattern which was causing it to dig into the metal off the wheel. Each time those nuts came off, you could see metal shavings coming out, but with the newer nuts you don't see it.
gopedxr7
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.45

2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1996 Chrysler Grand Voyager
2003 Chevrolet Impala
2005 Chevrolet TrailBlazer
1989 Suzuki Vitara
2012 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:21 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

i have a full set of factory lug nuts if you are intested that do not have the plastic caps.

i also have a full set of plastic caps as well

Alan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: