NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Rough idle at cold start and air in cooling system
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Rough idle at cold start and air in cooling system

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
schwebby

Posts per day: 0.01

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:25 pm    Post subject:  Rough idle at cold start and air in cooling system Reply with quote

maybe you guys can give a little advice - I have a 2005 impala 3.4 with 105,000 miles on it. Around 97-98,000 it started to idle rough at cold starts but once it warmed up or you rev it a little when you start it it clears up and it starts/runs fine when warm. I also noticed the smell on anti freeze around the front of the car after i parked it - no anti freeze on the ground ever but i could hear air in the heater core - but no smell in the car (it is a little wet around the intake and head).

The first thing i did to try to fix the rough idle was change the fuel filter - thought that might be plugged - but it didn't change anything. I brought it in to have the plugs and wires changed out and check the intake gasket - they pressure tested the cooling system, flushed the cooling system, and ran injector cleaner thru it as well but that didn't take care of the issue.

I read about issues with the idle air control valve and similar symptoms so i replaced that and still no change.

Next, i thought maybe the fuel pressure regulator was bad so i changed that out - still rough idle at cold start.

3 weeks ago the check engine light came on (never so happy to see that light pop up) and it was a P0133 (O2 sensor slow circuit 1/1). I had the garage look at it when i brought it in for an oil change and they cleared the code and ran injector cleaner thru it for me again - free of charge. I replaced the O2 sensor and at that time i tried the blue devil sealant in the cooling system. for 4 or 5 days it cold started and ran/idled good and i did not hear air in the heater core - i thought my issues we gone. now the rough idle at cold start is back and i am hearing air gurgling in the heater core again - do any of you have any idea what the issue could be? Thanks in advance

PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 1.94

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:44 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Just out of curiosity, what plugs, wires, and O2 sensors did you use?

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
schwebby

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:59 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick reply Pushrod - the shop put AC Delco plugs and wires on - I put a Bosch O2 sensor in it.

jmakinen
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.1

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:44 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Was the 02 sensor changed at the same time as the oil? The only thing I can think of is your head gasket may be leaking coolant into your engine, and you assumed the 02 sensor fixed it, while in actuality it was your contaminated oil at fault. Check your engine oil, in 3 weeks it should still look almost brand new. If it's discolored/milky, then you have a head gasket leak.

Jimi Hendrix wrote:
I've got my own world to live through, and I ain't gonna copy you.
schwebby

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:54 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply fellow yooper - I'm originally from Crystal Falls, MI

That's kind of what i'm afraid of - I was thinking (dreading) either head or intake gasket - thinking possibly when the engine is warm the clearances tighten up and it runs ok and when i stop and it cools down the gaps open up letting some coolant thru and causing the rough idle at cold start?

PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 1.94

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

schwebby wrote:
Thanks for the quick reply Pushrod - the shop put AC Delco plugs and wires on - I put a Bosch O2 sensor in it.

Most if not all the people here that have used Bosch O2 sensors have had bad luck with them. They don't work well. AC Delco and Denso seem to work best.

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
schwebby

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:25 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

well - I took the impala on a 2 hour trip up north on saturday. Before I left I added some coolant to the overflow tank to about 3/4 full - checked the coolant in the tak when i got there and the level was about the same but there was air slowly bubbling into the tank. When I started the next time it started fine - no rough idle at all - and this morning it started fine too. Not sure what is up now - is there a cold start sensor on these 3.4's that could be going bad??

98ss
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.26

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:38 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Have you cleaned the throttle body? If anything I would suspect your maf sensor. However, the bubbling coolant is wierd. Next time you see that, wait till the car cools down and check the actual radiator.
schwebby

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:55 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

yup - i forgot to mention - they cleaned the throttle body when they did the plugs and wires and cleaned the injectors. I cleaned the MAF about a month and a half ago. I just stepped out for lunch and it stubbled a little when i started it - not as bad as it usually did though.

jmakinen
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.1

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:25 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

http://www.gpona.com/forums/do.....t7272.html

here's a link on how to bleed air out of your coolant system, maybe this will help with that problem. Still confused on the rough idle though, maybe check your spark plugs??? If they're getting bad, that could cause the problem.

Jimi Hendrix wrote:
I've got my own world to live through, and I ain't gonna copy you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: