NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Gas smell - dealer didn't find anything
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Gas smell - dealer didn't find anything
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Problems with my car!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UseAsDirected
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 0.04

2007 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:13 am    Post subject:  Gas smell - dealer didn't find anything Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I am having similar symptoms to what this guy had in my 07 SS. Smells like gas when I first get in the car or open the trunk. Then it either fades or my nose becomes numb to it. Bought it used and since then put in a K&N CAI and Magnaflow cat-back, but it smelled like gas before I did any of that. I thought it was just maybe something the dealer used to clean the inside leather and dash and stuff, but after having the car for 4+ weeks, I'm now 99% sure it's gas (the other 1% to account for my ignorance). I can feel it in the back of my throat after I drive a few blocks too.

My frustration is that I took it to the dealer, they checked out the whole fuel system and gas tank and didn't find anything. Still smells like gas when I hop in. I did replace the gas cap because I was getting that stupid "tighten gas cap" message, and the check engine light went on. That was 3 weeks ago and the CEL hasn't gone on again, but the tighten gas cap message did pop up once in those 3 weeks. Pretty sure the gas cap isn't causing the whole inside of the car to smell, though. I don't smell it on the outside of the car at all.

Any suggestions what to do next? Should I take it back to the dealer and ask them to check out the cat? I do have a bumper to bumper warranty so if the cat is bad, that should cover it.

Thanks again everyone.
jmakinen
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.1

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:04 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Can you crawl under your car? Visually inspecting your exhaust is a pretty easy task. Jack a front corner up, and squeeze yourself underneath. Once there, it'll be pretty easy to identify the exhaust- it's the only pipe that runs down the middle of your car. What you are looking for is excessive rust before your catalytic converter, usually found around a weld or exhaust clamp.
How to tell if the rust is excessive? Poke it with your finger. If the rust comes off in big flakes, that may be your problem. If you don't find anything after the visual inspection, then start the car, and inspect while it's running. You will be able to hear if the exhaust is leaking while it runs. It takes a couple of minutes before the exhaust gets hot enough to burn you, so you have time to poke around a little. You can also just run your hand along the exhaust, about an inch away. You will feel the exhaust escaping through the leak when your hand passes over it.
There is a thread around here somewhere with pics of a complete exhaust system, if your not familiar with the different parts of it. I just can't find it at the moment.

Jimi Hendrix wrote:
I've got my own world to live through, and I ain't gonna copy you.
UseAsDirected
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2007 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:29 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Ok, will take a peek. It'll be disappointing if that's what it is and the guy who did my cat-back didn't notice...

Thanks for the advice.
Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 2.31

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:46 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I'm assuming you're smelling gasoline. If there is unburned fuel travelling through the exhaust system, the cat is getting ruined. I would check around, especially the fuel filter. It's possible that there is a small leak from recent fuel filter replacement, especially given that you bought the car a month ago.

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
UseAsDirected
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2007 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:15 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The dealer said they checked the whole fuel system when I brought it in... though I guess that could be subjective. I could double-check. Is the fuel filter by the gas tank? Haynes manual should be coming tomorrow so I can look it up, but I thought it was inaccessible by someone with limited ability and tools like myself?
PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 1.95

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:38 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I think on the 06+ the fuel filter is actually a "sock" in the gas tank.

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

In the 06+ models it may be in the tank, but hopefully not.

On the 00-05 models, it is below the rear driverside door, about a foot in, underneath the car.

I would be suprised to see it, but on older cars the fuel filler neck will rust and develop a leak.

You should get under the car and check everything yourself. The dealer really will not see much more than you do, unless they drop the tank (which I doubt they would do just to "check".

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Pitch Black SS
NAIOA Owner / Founder
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

Posts per day: 2.55

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1982 Chevrolet Malibu
2007 Chrysler 300C
1986 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:04 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Lingenfelter wrote:
In the 06+ models it may be in the tank, but hopefully not.

On the 00-05 models, it is below the rear driverside door, about a foot in, underneath the car.

I would be suprised to see it, but on older cars the fuel filler neck will rust and develop a leak.

You should get under the car and check everything yourself. The dealer really will not see much more than you do, unless they drop the tank (which I doubt they would do just to "check".

yup, 06+ are in tank

check the trunk floor and around the rear seat (even remove the bottom of the rear seat) and look for holes. Someone before you may have mounted some audio equipment and drilled into the tank. Been done on here by someone before.

Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2007 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:00 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

So, I feel like an idiot now but I was looking at the Haynes manual and it says I should be running 91+ octane. I did not know this, and have been running 87. Would that explain the smell?

Have not gotten to checking out the other things you all have suggested yet though... but if that's what the problem was... gah!
Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The car should not smell from running lower octane.

I beleive the Impala engines all run regular 87 fuel... I would be surprised to see otherwise. Maybe your owner's manual will indicate which fuel is recommended?

If the car recommends 91 and you're putting in 87, you're just getting a little bit less horsepower.

Have you checked under the trunk carpets for drilled holes? I had forgotten all about other members having that done.

PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 1.95

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:03 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Lingenfelter wrote:
If the car recommends 91 and you're putting in 87, you're just getting a little bit less horsepower.

Plus the potential for detonation.

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
UseAsDirected
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2007 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:37 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Yup, manual says to use 91 in the 5.3 else you're likely to get knocking. Oops.
Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:43 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

PushrodPower wrote:
Lingenfelter wrote:

Plus the potential for detonation.

Generally the timing is knocked back with lesser octanes, which protects the engine from detonation... which goes hand in hand with the horsepower losses.

Didn't look at the model he had... if it's the V8 then it's not really so surprising to see that 91 is recommended.

UseAsDirected
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2007 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:05 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Yeah, I read the same thing elsewhere. The manual does say 87 octane can be used but 91 is recommended.
UseAsDirected
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2007 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:26 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Quick update. Looked in the trunk, under the seats, and under the car. Couldn't find any holes or bad looking hoses. Cat looks fine as far as I can tell too.

Consulting this thread in the Knowledge Database, I found the canister valve/vent solenoid (I found it's called a number of different things depending where you look - I'm talking about #3 on his list) goes bad commonly and gives the symptoms I'm experiencing. Haynes manual says the same thing. Could this be the problem even if the CEL isn't on? I did have the Tighten Gas Cap message but it only popped on once about 2-3 weeks ago, a few days after I replaced the gas cap. Hasn't come back on again though.

Anyway, I tried to take that solenoid off but I couldn't get the hose off and don't really have a good way to test it without buying some stuff. Going to call the dealer on Monday and see if they'll take a look at it... I don't recall them mentioning it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Problems with my car! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: