NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Differences between 2001 and 2002 Impala LS?
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Differences between 2001 and 2002 Impala LS?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
billy101
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.64

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:11 pm    Post subject:  Differences between 2001 and 2002 Impala LS? Reply with quote

Hey guys, as you all know I wrecked my impala awhile back. The frame in the front is bent, and now my transmission is acting up. We are considering every viable option. Found a 2002 Impala LS - same color as mine, leather, power spoiler everything but a sunroof, has nice aftermarket rims. Was listed for 2500, but as a mechanics special. The motor had headgaskets done but the heads need to be shaved so the lady says- it's misfiring bad-very bad. The motor is done - has lifter ticking and it's knocking. It has a check engine light, not flashing though - also has the Trac Off and ABS lights on - but I know that could be as simple as a wheel hub, speed sensor harness or whatever. I'm most likely going to go back there tomorrow after I get out of school with a code reader and see what codes it has. The car does have 178k miles on it, but it drives rather well the body is in great shape, we would transplant the two front fenders from my 01 because someone leaned on both the fronts and dented them - the transmission is shifting hard but I'm hoping it doesn't have a p1811 when I go back there tomorrow. My dad said the transmission could be shifting that hard because of the horrid misfire. It's barely idling. The interior wasn't horrible - has the grey leather interior not the tan. All window regulators have been replaced. The body overall is in very decent shape - I'd be able to bring the paint back to life with a little TLC. It's listed for $2500, but we would never pay that. The car isn't going anywhere anytime soon - the motor needs to be pulled. Where I'm trying to get at...is this car going to be worth it to throw basically everything that is new/known good from my 01 into the 02? I know not to get too excited yet about the transmission as the second I drove the car - even on a completely cold motor the transmission still hard shifted. Curious to see if the p1811 is stored. What is also nice is that my dad is thinking that we would be getting away from a car with a bent frame, and not have the problem with the BCM as my 01 has.

Sorry for the long ass post. I will update tomorrow after I go over there and read the codes. Hoping for the best.

Would the transmission really shift hard if it's misfiring that bad? After I got moving and then came to a stop - the motor stalled and I had to re-start it. The rims on it had to be $1000 alone.

Last edited by billy101 on Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.55

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:52 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Unsolicited advice: for the love of god don't buy a 'mechanics' special. It's keyword for money pit. I know you and your Dad can do the work, but unless you can't afford something in better shape, don't do it.

On topic: misfiring can make the transmission sluggish, at least that was my experience when I was figuring out why my car was misfiring after the transmssion repair. Turned out to be a MAF sensor. That being said, it wasn't slamming into gear, that's usually a hallmark of a bad PCS.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
billy101
Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:16 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

IffyG wrote:
Unsolicited advice: for the love of god don't buy a 'mechanics' special. It's keyword for money pit. I know you and your Dad can do the work, but unless you can't afford something in better shape, don't do it.

On topic: misfiring can make the transmission sluggish, at least that was my experience when I was figuring out why my car was misfiring after the transmssion repair. Turned out to be a MAF sensor. That being said, it wasn't slamming into gear, that's usually a hallmark of a bad PCS.

I'm going to read the codes tomorrow. She has all receipts of what she had done to it and when it was done. Brand new fuel pump, fuel filter, upgraded slotted and drilled rotors, pads and steel braided lines on February 27 2011. Receipts for the new cabin air filter, catalytic converter, and new water pump done 3 months ago on 7/4/2011 before it was parked after the head gaskets were done. It has been sitting on the side of their house for 2 1/2 months.

Unfortunately we do not have the extra cash laying around. It would be a father-son project that I think could net us something good in the end..-a car that doesn't have a bent frame and would be easier to sell if it ever came to it.

We checked the transmission fluid while we had the hood open - a little low, but still had some pinkish color to it. If it was simply just a bad PCS that wouldn't be an issue as we'd be dropping the cradle anyways.

I drove the car up and down the road for about 5 minutes, once I got going and gave the throttle a little bit of gas, it pulled rather well for a car running on 5 cylinders.

IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.55

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:09 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I hope the cat isn't toast if one of the cylinders isn't firing.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
billy101
Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:32 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

IffyG wrote:
I hope the cat isn't toast if one of the cylinders isn't firing.

She told us she had only drive the car two or three times since the issue began. Not really a huge issue as we still have the complete exhaust system from my 01 - the dual exhaust.

I'm doing some research on ALLDATAPro and reading this has me wondering..
"Upshift Adapts (1-2, 2-3 and 3-4)
The PCM monitors the automatic transmission input shaft speed (AT ISS) sensor and the vehicle speed sensor (VSS) in order to determine when an upshift has started and completed. The PCM measures the time for the upshift. If the upshift time is longer than a calibrated value, then the PCM will adjust the current to the pressure control (PC) solenoid valve to increase the line pressure for the next shift in the same torque range. If the upshift time is shorter than the calibrated value, then the PCM will decrease the line pressure for the next shift in the same torque range."

It's apparent that one of the wheel speed sensors have to be bad as the Trac Off and ABS lights are on. If driven around like this could it cause the PCM to adjust the PC solenoid to high pressure? Just trying to figure everything out.

I'm going to try and go there tomorrow with a Snap On scanner from my dad's shop that can read transmission codes as well as everything else. I'll clear the TAP data and drive the car for awhile and see what's going on. I will also probably be able to see which wheel hub would need to be replaced.

topgun
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.27

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:17 pm    Post subject:  differences . . . Reply with quote

Sounds like you know what you are in for. As long as you don't rush the project, sounds like a fun adventure. And, at the end you, should have a drivable car with life left in it. Good luck. Cool

PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 1.94

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:52 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Do the brakes shutter real hard when you brake?

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
billy101
Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:58 pm    Post subject:  Re: differences . . . Reply with quote

topgun wrote:
Sounds like you know what you are in for. As long as you don't rush the project, sounds like a fun adventure. And, at the end you, should have a drivable car with life left in it. Good luck. Cool

I would like to say I am somewhat prepared lol. We have all necessary tools at our house (engine hoist), we have a Snap-On lift that will lift the car 4 1/2 feet in the air. Should make for a nice father-son project and I am actually pretty excited to possibly be able to do this. It's a great learning experience. Note: this is not set in stone yet, going to make a decision tomorrow most likely after I go take a look at it again, with a scanner. With my scanner I'll be able to manually command PC solenoid pressure so I can try and do that and see how the transmission shifts. I also want to see what is going on with the ABS and traction control system..

Here are the two pics the girl sent us via e-mail. It's got nice aftermarket rims on it that are probably worth $1000 alone easily.

The rims look very nice on the car....both front fenders have dents in them, but we could easily just bring the fenders from my car (same color) and put them on this...Otherwise, it's very clean.

and I'd just swap the new headlights from my car as well.

@PushrodPower

What do you mean? The car braked very well (only had it up to 35ish mph)

billy101
Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:18 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Well the woman had gave me a call stating that it had been sold for $2000 about a week ago. Saw it re-listed on craigslist tonight for $1500. Gave her a call back tonight and it is in fact still available. The guy who was going to purchase it for $2000 fell through so she lowered the price. I spoke to my dad about it and we are probably going to go there with $1200 cash and see if she will take it. I'm pretty excited that this all may be going down. Smile Just wanted to give an update and I will post back tomorrow night if we do get the car.

jmakinen
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.1

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:56 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Nice! I love projects like this. After it's all said and done, the feeling of accomplishment is awesome. Plus you'll know so much more about these cars, that everything afterwards will be simple. And, there's always the added bonus of when someone asks "How much did you buy it for?" I like to grin and say "Buy it? I built it." Twisted Evil

Jimi Hendrix wrote:
I've got my own world to live through, and I ain't gonna copy you.
billy101
Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:10 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Called her tonight and offered $1000. She took the offer. Going in 20 minutes to go pick it up! Let the project begin! Very Happy I'm so happy this is going to be a lot of fun!

PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:16 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

billy101 wrote:
Called her tonight and offered $1000. She took the offer. Going in 20 minutes to go pick it up! Let the project begin! Very Happy I'm so happy this is going to be a lot of fun!

Get pics when you can!! Very Happy

04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
billy101
Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:50 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

PushrodPower wrote:
billy101 wrote:

Oh I will
it's in the garage right now. It doesn't have EVERYTHING my 01 LS has, but pretty damn close. The Passenger side seat is manual adjustment, neither seat is heated, the interior is gray instead of the tan like my 01. I took the rims off of the 02 and put it on my 01 for the time being. I'll get some pics of how my 01 sits with them on, as well as pics of the 02. The body is STRAIGHT, some dings, not many though. The front fenders have dents in them from people leaning on them. My dad popped them back out but it's not perfect...might just swap the fenders from my 01 to the 02. Haven't pulled the codes from the 02 yet, but it seems to be running on all 6, but it is misfiring. It has 178k miles so it's probably in need of a tune up, but the motor is probably junk. My 01 120k mile 3.8 runs like a champ, and purrs at an idle so we will probably just drop that in. We are still debating on what to do with the transmission, the one in the 02 actually shifts pretty damn well. It's going to be a big project and a long one too but we will find out things that need to be done as we get there. The roof moldings on the 02 are in tact and perfect! Mine fell off and look like s**t...the antenna on the back is actually still on too, lol!

PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:09 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

billy101 wrote:
PushrodPower wrote:
billy101 wrote:

Oh I will
it's in the garage right now. It doesn't have EVERYTHING my 01 LS has, but pretty damn close. The Passenger side seat is manual adjustment, neither seat is heated, the interior is gray instead of the tan like my 01. I took the rims off of the 02 and put it on my 01 for the time being. I'll get some pics of how my 01 sits with them on, as well as pics of the 02. The body is STRAIGHT, some dings, not many though. The front fenders have dents in them from people leaning on them. My dad popped them back out but it's not perfect...might just swap the fenders from my 01 to the 02. Haven't pulled the codes from the 02 yet, but it seems to be running on all 6, but it is misfiring. It has 178k miles so it's probably in need of a tune up, but the motor is probably junk. My 01 120k mile 3.8 runs like a champ, and purrs at an idle so we will probably just drop that in. We are still debating on what to do with the transmission, the one in the 02 actually shifts pretty damn well. It's going to be a big project and a long one too but we will find out things that need to be done as we get there. The roof moldings on the 02 are in tact and perfect! Mine fell off and look like s**t...the antenna on the back is actually still on too, lol!

You pretty much just described my Imp. Laughing Good luck with everything. Big Thumbs Up

04ImpalaSS wrote:

wedebrook wrote:

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
billy101
Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:20 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

PushrodPower wrote:
billy101 wrote:
PushrodPower wrote:
billy101 wrote:

Oh I will

You pretty much just described my Imp. Laughing Good luck with everything. Big Thumbs Up

Thanks man! What sucks is, the lady we got it from is super nice...but she got F#&KED when she tried to get the car repaired, completely screwed over. It's got a brand new catalytic converter, all the motor work done, the radiator is still leaking, and it just needs a ton of work drivetrain wise. She had to of spent $1500 minimum getting all the repairs done, and the car still wasn't right. My dad drove it home with me following behind in my 01 LS, once he got it going he had it up to 85mph running on all 6. To be completely honest, it actually pulled away from my 01 slightly..Sad Not quite sure what that was all about but I was a bit upset about that lol. I threw the aftermarket rims on my 01 last night after I cleaned them up, LOVE the look. I'll have pics of my 01, following pics of the 02 later on tonight. I need to cut the grass and do some things around the house first.

Didn't get around to taking pics of the 02 tonight. Was busy figuring out why we're getting a Cylinder 3 misfire on it no matter what we do swapping coil packs, wires, plugs everything. Put a compression tester on cylinder #3 and it's only reading 40lbs, cylinder 1 and 5 are reading 170ish. Obviously something is wrong with cylinder 3. This motor is done, with 180k miles, has lifters ticking like crazy, oil leaking from every possible spot on the motor, we'll put her out of her misery and just drop my 3.8 into it. The transmission MIGHT be okay.....it drove pretty good and shifted rather well too, still debating on what we're going to do with that. My dad has someone that would be able to rebuild the transmission for probably around $500 - $600 which might be what we do. Rebuild the 180k mile tranny, and then drop my motor into the freshly rebuild tranny in the 02 and be on our way....Decisions decisions. This long ass journey is just beginning.

I did get around to taking some quick pictures of my 01 with the aftermarket rims with Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110 245/40/18 tires on it. I love the stance the rims give the car. Here are pics!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: