NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Foglights on with headlights but not with DRLs ('05 Impala)
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Foglights on with headlights but not with DRLs ('05 Impala)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Interior & Exterior MODs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blackkodiak18

Posts per day: 0.01

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:50 pm    Post subject: Great ! Foglights on with headlights but not with DRLs ('05 Impala) Reply with quote

EDIT (SOLVED):
I just wanted to make a note of how I was able to accomplish my goal for anyone else who may come along trying to do the same thing.

In order to get the fog lights to kick on when the headlights were turned on but not while the DRLs were on, I took BBEngineer's advice of tapping into the control wire for the Headlamp Relay (Blk/Wht wire coming out of B3 pin of the pink BCM plug) and used this to trigger the fog light relay.

To eliminate the fog lights while the high beams were on, what I did here was to add a second relay to break the circuit between trigger wire for the fog light relay. It was really a simple process once I got some sleep and sat down to think about it.

The wiring schematic goes something like this:

Fog Light Relay:
Pin Function
85 To High Beam Control Relay pin 87A
86 To Headlamp Relay control lead from BCM (Blk/Wht wire, pin B3, pink connector)
87 12V power for fog lights (run off the battery--don't forget to use a fuse!)
87A Empty
30 Fog light positive lead

High Beam Control Relay:
Pin Function
85 12V power lead (Just needs to have enough power to trigger the relay)
86 High beam ground
87 Empty
87A To Fog Light Relay pin 85
30 12V power lead (Just needs to have enough power to trigger the Fog Light Relay)

Optional:
If desired to have a manual off switch you can have your trigger lead from the headlamp control lead run through a toggle switch before going to the fog light relay.

Thanks again BBE for the headlamp relay tip - I had first thought of this but wasn't sure if the DRLs went through it or not and I didn't have a schematic for 2005 headlight/DRL system. The help was much appreciated.

-----
Original Post:
Okay, so I got myself some fog lights and I want to wire them to automatically come on anytime the headlights are on. My first thought was to use the low beams as a trigger for my fog light relay. But then I had an "oh wait" moment since my low-beams are also my DRLs. Second thought was to use the parking lamps -- but here again, I need the fog lights to turn off when I move the headlight switch to parking lights only so that is out as well.

My haynes manual only has the pre-2005 wiring diagram so I can't verify if I were to tap into the signal to the low-beam relay would that also be triggered by the DRLs or not.

Does anyone have a 2005 wiring diagram for the headlight system / DRL System I can use to reference so I can accomplish my goal? I've tried searching but haven't come up with anything...may be due to running on 3 hours of sleep, I don't know but any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by blackkodiak18 on Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
bbengineer
NAIOA Owner / Webmaster
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

Posts per day: 2.11

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Chevrolet Corvette
2007 Chevrolet Tahoe
2008 Subaru Impreza
1970 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:29 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

If you use the trigger driving the headlamp relay (not the output of the relay) it will turn the fogs on whenever the headlights are on but not when the DRLs are on

The one gotcha is that the fogs will also be on when the high beams are on (there is only a single relay for both highs and lows) and it's technically illegal

You may be able to work around the high beam issue, but I'll have to think about it a little

BBEngineer

Decisions...Decisions...
blackkodiak18

Posts per day: 0.01

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:51 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Okay, thanks. That will work for now. I don't use my high beams so I can live with that for a while until a solution surfaces to resolve that problem. Thanks for the help.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Interior & Exterior MODs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: