NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Brakes hold pressure only when car is off.
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Brakes hold pressure only when car is off.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 1.99

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:06 pm    Post subject: Grrrr ! Brakes hold pressure only when car is off. Reply with quote

As the title states when the cars off the brake pedal is rock hard. When I turn it on it sinks to the floor. To bleed the brakes in the rear I put a nylon tube over the bleeder valve and then ran that into a glass jar. I then pumped the brakes several times to fill the jar then let it sit for a while. The fronts have speedbleeders, so I just pumped the brakes alot. Do you guys think I should've done the same to the fronts as I did the rears?

Any help is VERY much appreciated.

EDIT: My Impala in NON ABS. If that matters.

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
98ss
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.27

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:41 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

That is because when the car is off, the vacuum booster is not working. Is the pedal going all the way to the floor on the first pump or does it sink naturally to the floor at a light? Were you just swapping brake fluid or did you replace a caliper or something else?
PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:21 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

98ss wrote:
That is because when the car is off, the vacuum booster is not working. Is the pedal going all the way to the floor on the first pump or does it sink naturally to the floor at a light? Were you just swapping brake fluid or did you replace a caliper or something else?

I'm sorry I didn't specify. I replaced the brake hoses. The pedal doesn't go all the way to the floor, but further than it used too. I haven't driven it because of this so I don't know how it behaves while driving.

04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
jmakinen
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.1

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:30 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

98ss is right about the pedal being rock hard when shut down. I'd bet there's still air in the system somewhere. I personally like the two person method of bleeding brakes, because then I can watch & listen for air coming out of the bleeders, and monitor the brake fluid as it comes out to see when it becomes clear. And I would at least drive the car a few times around the block, to really see how badly you have to push on the pedal. If you're getting a lot of resistance, but minimal braking, there's definitely air in the system. But if the pedal just goes down a little further, and the brakes still bite hard, I wouldn't worry about it. Usually the pedal will slowly firm up, and after about a week of driving, it'll feel normal again.
PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:36 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Thanks for the info guys. Very Happy I'll drive it up and down my road to see how they work. I would've thought steel braided lines would make the pedal more stiff. I'll use the two man bleeder method and see if it helps. There's got to be air still in there.

04ImpalaSS wrote:

wedebrook wrote:

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
98ss
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.27

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:05 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

You also didn't bleed the fronts which is most likely where the air is.
PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:27 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I rebled all the brakes using the two man method. Works a lot better. I also replaced the rear rotors and pads as they were pretty thrashed. So I'm all squared away now. Very Happy

04ImpalaSS wrote:

wedebrook wrote:

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: