NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Gas filling issue
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Gas filling issue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Problems with my car!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
00impala123
Senior Level
Senior Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.95

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:17 pm    Post subject:  Gas filling issue Reply with quote

Alright so for a while now, my Fuel level sensor has been bad. Its never been a big issue because I usually keep the car over 1/2 a tank at all times and its accurate when it starts up as long as its above 1/4 tank.

So yesterday I was about to leave to go back to school and my car wouldn't fill up with gas. it was close to E and the automatic shutoff was kicking on so it wouldn't take anything. I looked at my gauge and it was saying it was F. Shut the car off and let it sit for about 10 mins until the gauge went back to E and tried to fill it again. Nothing.

This happened once last year and I was able to take a wire coat hanger, and put it down the feed tube to hold it open and use a 2 gallon tank to pour some in. Once it got the 2 gallons i drove to the gas station and it filled up fine. So I drove home to try and do the hanger trick and couldn't get it to fill anything. I let it sit for about an hour and nothing. Tried unplugging the battery, fuel pump sensors, etc. Nothing worked.

I had to borrow my dads corolla to get back to school (bout 100 miles away) because I had a test this morning and didnt have time to worry about the car right then. My dad texted me later saying a few hours after I left he was able to get a few gallons of gas into it from a gas tank he had at home.

Any idea what the problem is here? I'm going to replace the fuel pump (got a deal on a new fuel pump w sensor for 30 bucks more than the sensor itself would cost me so I'm just gonna drop the whole pump in) but even when it settled back down to E something was preventing it from taking gas. Not sure exactly what. Possibly something with the evap canister or system?

Does anybody have some sort of diagram of the entire fuel system? (or at least from the gas tank back)

My car had this problem in like 05 a few times, it got rear ended and they ended up replacing the whole gas tank and back and its been fine ever since until last year when this started happening again. I just want to order all the parts I need to finally fix this thing right this upcoming weekend

Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.48

2000 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2007 Chevrolet Impala
1968 Chevrolet Camaro
2013 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:56 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Isn't there a vent that is supposed to open when filling, and then when it gets full it closes and the car knows to stop?

Perhaps that is stuck closed.

Senior Level
Senior Level

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:01 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

chibiblacksheep wrote:
Isn't there a vent that is supposed to open when filling, and then when it gets full it closes and the car knows to stop?

Perhaps that is stuck closed.

Yeah theres some air line, i just don't know the name of it..but I was thinking the exact same thing..just need a diagram now lol

Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.28

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:42 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

If your tank is empty, or mostly empty and you can't even pour gas in it then I'll guess something in the line is clogging it up. What was said about the vent sounds about right to me.
00impala123
Senior Level
Senior Level

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:58 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

So any ideas on what part it is, or anybody got a diagram?

Resident
Resident
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 0.25

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:11 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I guess your getting no codes? My car was slow to take fuel once when the EVAP valve under your left rear fender went bad .The filler neck on cars in the salt belt are know to go bad ,but mostly rust out. The only other thing is the canister on the fuel tank its self.
00impala123
Senior Level
Senior Level

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:03 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Yeah no codes, just cuts off like its full and wont take any more gas. I guess thursday I will be starting the PITA task of dropping the tank an inspecting the entire system. I was able to get access to alldatapro.com and found some diagrams so we shall see what I find. I will update this as well for anyone who needs to know in the future.

Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

Posts per day: 2.34

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:08 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Consider picking up some straps in case your gas tank straps are in bad shape.

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
bigdog60
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.25

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:52 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

A quick test would be to pull off the hose going to the Evap valve to see if it makes any difference.
Irish_alley
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.16

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1986 GMC Sierra
1994 Chevrolet Silverado
1984 GMC Sierra
1979 Chevrolet Silverado
1991 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:03 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

i know on the old trucks if the vent line is clogged it will cause the gas pumps to kick off unless you slowly fill it. a friend of mine has a newer chevy truck and her truck was doing the same thing would take like 10 minutes to put in 3 gals. her evap system had to be replaced but i think it was throwing a code

Sorry if i'm an a**hole, but i tend to speak whats on my mind and the truth as i see it.. May not be right but it seamed right.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Problems with my car! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: