NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Question about transmissions
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Question about transmissions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission
View previous topic :: View next topic  
billy101
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.65

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:50 pm    Post subject:  Question about transmissions Reply with quote

Hey guys, I know this has been discussed over and over again but I've made my dad aware of an issue that I've been having for the last two weeks. Only on a cold start-up, the first go of the morning I'll have the "No Forward Cold" issue as listed on TEP's website. (http://tripleedgeperformance.com/No_Forward_Cold.html)

The RPM's will build up to 4k RPM and then it will slam into 1st. Only on the initial go of the morning of sitting overnight. Once it does that, it will not hiccup or do anything weird the rest of the day, even getting back in my car after 6 hours in school. Strange, but whatever. I've already talked to Dave @ TEP and he said that the short lip design seal is my problem, and it won't leave me stranded..but at 119,814miles anything can go at this point. If you check the transmission fluid on the dipstick, and wipe it off on a white rag, there is all sorts of black (clutch material?) that comes off of it, which means it's probably getting ready to grenade (dads words).

My dad was browsing craigslist and found a 2001 Impala 3.8 transmission that was pulled "running great" and will sell with a guarantee for $225 locally. My dad is considering purchasing that, and then we will tear it down and replace all the problem parts in it, and then drop it into my 01 Impala. My dad has 24 years of auto mechanic experience and has rebuilt many transmissions from subarus, no GM's, but he feels confident using the resources he has, and the information I can pull up about these transmissions that we will be able to get it done.

My question is what should be replaced on a transmission I have 0 background information about? Obviously the problem areas (valve body, PCS, all solenoids and boost valves etc, forward and reverse bands, the seals, and bushing etc). I'd like to get a list of things to consider as this will probably be happening soon, (christmas vacation, in about 2 1/2 months)

I appreciate all information in advance and will re-check this thread often.

Thanks

billy101
Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:37 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Surprised nobody replied to this thread.

My dad works with someone who knows of a guy who rebuilds the tranny's in these cars around our area. He also has access to a Tech II so I think we are going to replace the BCM at the same time as the tranny being rebuilt. I'd like to gather a parts list of what to give the guy to rebuild with. Obviously all solenoids, boost valves, and seals, but anything else possibly? The transmission we found on craigslist has 125k miles on it, with unknown background info about it; we're going to steer clear.

IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.58

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:42 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

At a minimum I'd track down ahardened 4th clutch shaft and a Sonnax Sure Cure kit on top of the standard parts required for a rebuild. The shop I went to was already aware that these needed to be included in a rebuild of a 4T65e.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
billy101
Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:58 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

IffyG wrote:
At a minimum I'd track down ahardened 4th clutch shaft and a Sonnax Sure Cure kit on top of the standard parts required for a rebuild. The shop I went to was already aware that these needed to be included in a rebuild of a 4T65e.

Okay, I will do that for sure. Do I need to worry about input or output shafts? The passenger side CV Axle will probably be replaced when this is all done too...where should I get that from?

Wingman520
Guru
Guru

Posts per day: 1.18

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:21 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

billy101 wrote:
IffyG wrote:

Okay, I will do that for sure. Do I need to worry about input or output shafts? The passenger side CV Axle will probably be replaced when this is all done too...where should I get that from?

only reason you would want to worry about the input and output shafts is if your going to put performance parts on it... the stock trans parts are good to about roughly 300 WHP the 4th clutch and sonnax sure cure kit you can get from TEP (link here) http://www.tripleedgeperformance.com/Upgrades.html

2001 Chevy Impala- 186K Retired: 180 T stat, HV3, Wizaired Intake, GMPP Exhaust, Speed Daddy Headers, 1.9 Yella Terra Rockers, Custom LED interior, BBEngineering.com 6 Pod Cluster, Poly Mounts and Bushings, Dyno Tuned by Dyno Brian @ Dyno Tune Motorsports 181 WHP 230 WTQ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
billy101
Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:31 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Wingman520 wrote:
billy101 wrote:
IffyG wrote:

only reason you would want to worry about the input and output shafts is if your going to put performance parts on it... the stock trans parts are good to about roughly 300 WHP the 4th clutch and sonnax sure cure kit you can get from TEP (link here) http://www.tripleedgeperformance.com/Upgrades.html

Alright so the input and output shafts should be fine. I know about TEP's website; thanks for the link though. When my dad talks to the guy again I'm going to have him ask what exactly he replaces in these transmissions so I can order more things if he doesn't cover everything. Should I get a reman'd input clutch apply piston? http://tripleedgeperformance.com/Hard_Parts.html

I'll of course order the sonnax sure cure kit, along with the 4th clutch, should I replace forward and reverse bands as well?

Wingman520
Guru
Guru

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:17 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

billy101 wrote:
Wingman520 wrote:
billy101 wrote:
IffyG wrote:

Alright so the input and output shafts should be fine. I know about TEP's website; thanks for the link though. When my dad talks to the guy again I'm going to have him ask what exactly he replaces in these transmissions so I can order more things if he doesn't cover everything. Should I get a reman'd input clutch apply piston? http://tripleedgeperformance.com/Hard_Parts.html

I'll of course order the sonnax sure cure kit, along with the 4th clutch, should I replace forward and reverse bands as well?

the bands are usually ok there is a spec of thickness they have to be in to be considered bad or good... i haven't heard anything about that apply piston so if you want to go for it might as well since the trans is open

2001 Chevy Impala- 186K Retired: 180 T stat, HV3, Wizaired Intake, GMPP Exhaust, Speed Daddy Headers, 1.9 Yella Terra Rockers, Custom LED interior, BBEngineering.com 6 Pod Cluster, Poly Mounts and Bushings, Dyno Tuned by Dyno Brian @ Dyno Tune Motorsports 181 WHP 230 WTQ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
billy101
Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:20 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Wingman520 wrote:
billy101 wrote:
Wingman520 wrote:
billy101 wrote:
IffyG wrote:

the bands are usually ok there is a spec of thickness they have to be in to be considered bad or good... i haven't heard anything about that apply piston so if you want to go for it might as well since the trans is open

I'm considering the piston because it's only $20!, and the fact that that is pretty much the issue I am having with the seal not sealing right on that piston, so it would seem stupid NOT to change it lol. It seems as if whenever I wipe off the dipstick for the transmission on a white rag, a LOT of black residue is found on the rag afterwards. Clutch debris? Only really started since this whole issue arose. So, is this simple because of the slipping I get in the morning before it bangs into gear, or are the bands wearing abnormally now? Of course everything will be inspected to make sure nothing is too much out of spec, but I would just like to make sure. I'll actually go snap a pic of a white towel after I wipe off the trans dipstick.

Is everything that goes into the transmission from the sonnax sure cure kit basically go into the valve body? Would it be stupid to get a reconditioned and rebuilt one from TEP and then send in my old?

bbengineer
NAIOA Owner / Webmaster
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

Posts per day: 2.08

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Chevrolet Corvette
2007 Chevrolet Tahoe
2008 Subaru Impreza
1970 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:05 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The SureCure kit requires special tools (from Sonnax).. if the person rebuilding your tranny doesn't have the tools, they won't be able to install alot of the kit

Check with them and if they are unable to install the Sonnax kit, get the rebuilt valve body from TEP with the SureCure kit installed already

If you have the tranny apart, you should replace everything possible (bands, clutches, solenoids, harness if it looks bad, etc)

BBEngineer

Decisions...Decisions...
Wingman520
Guru
Guru

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:09 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

billy101 wrote:
Wingman520 wrote:
billy101 wrote:
Wingman520 wrote:
billy101 wrote:
IffyG wrote:

I'm considering the piston because it's only $20!, and the fact that that is pretty much the issue I am having with the seal not sealing right on that piston, so it would seem stupid NOT to change it lol. It seems as if whenever I wipe off the dipstick for the transmission on a white rag, a LOT of black residue is found on the rag afterwards. Clutch debris? Only really started since this whole issue arose. So, is this simple because of the slipping I get in the morning before it bangs into gear, or are the bands wearing abnormally now? Of course everything will be inspected to make sure nothing is too much out of spec, but I would just like to make sure. I'll actually go snap a pic of a white towel after I wipe off the trans dipstick.

Is everything that goes into the transmission from the sonnax sure cure kit basically go into the valve body? Would it be stupid to get a reconditioned and rebuilt one from TEP and then send in my old?

the black residue is definitely clutch material and most likely from that 4 grand of revs and banging into gear that you get... when the pan drops it's probably going to be black in the fluid and on the pan as well as the magnet in there

billy101
Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:21 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

bbengineer wrote:
The SureCure kit requires special tools (from Sonnax).. if the person rebuilding your tranny doesn't have the tools, they won't be able to install alot of the kit

Check with them and if they are unable to install the Sonnax kit, get the rebuilt valve body from TEP with the SureCure kit installed already

If you have the tranny apart, you should replace everything possible (bands, clutches, solenoids, harness if it looks bad, etc)

BBEngineer

Sounds good. The what solenoids and other stuff is NOT included in the upgraded and rebuilt valve body? I will of course have the forward apply band, manual coast 2-1 band and the reverse band replaced. I need to talk to the guy my dad found and find out exactly what he replaces in these....I want to make sure he's not going to do a s**t job, because if so; I'd rather save the money in labor and have me and my dad do it if I don't feel that he will do a good job.

Here is the picture of the rag after I wiped off the trans dipstick.

billy101
Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:27 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Here's a video of what it does....EVERY morning.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: