NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Replacing engine soon. Any ideas?
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Replacing engine soon. Any ideas?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lalondtm

Posts per day: 0

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:15 am    Post subject:  Replacing engine soon. Any ideas? Reply with quote

I have a 2001 impala, 3.4 liter with 240k miles. I'm looking to replace the engine in the spring, and I want to put a 3.8 liter in. I can't imagine there would be to many physical complications switching from a 3.4 to a 3.8, maybe electrical/computer issues? Any ideas as for what I should look for, or where to look?

Thanks
habermehl
Member Level
Member Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.51

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2007 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:26 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Find a low milege L26 from a newer buick and top swap it with gen 5. Twisted Evil

billy101 wrote:
Conner wrote:
how do the dealer's expect us to get the cars there if they don 't run at all?

Tow Truck?
Pitch Black SS
NAIOA Owner / Founder
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

Posts per day: 2.55

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1982 Chevrolet Malibu
2007 Chrysler 300C
1986 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:44 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

unless you are planning on modding the hell out of the 3800, it isnt worth the time or money to do the swap. There are electrical differences as well as computer differences. Easiest way it to buy an entire 3800 Impala so you can swap over everything you need as you do the work.

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:30 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

as for just buying a imp with a 3800, thats (unfortunately) out of the question. I can't afford to buy another whole vehicle, especially if I want one with low miles, it seems much more cost efficient to buy a new engine and start at 0 miles. I wish I could buy a new one, but I've got student loans out preventing that from becoming a reality. I'm sort of upgrading piece by piece, as money rolls in. Maybe a few years down the road I can be much more flexible, but not right now
00impala123
Senior Level
Senior Level

Posts per day: 0.93

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:50 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Are you supercharging it or just want the 3.8

If I were you, I would buy an L26 low mileage engine out of the new buicks and swap that in. The tuning and electrical stuff will be your biggest problem. That way later down the road when you get more money if you want you can top swap it and do a performance build

EDIT: you also said in another post about getting a rebuilt engine...bad idea
They dont last too long after being rebuilt. You are better off getting a lower mileage engine. Even if it has 40thousand miles on it, itll likely outlast the rebuild one (assuming there is nothing wrong with it to begin)

NAIOA Owner / Founder
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1982 Chevrolet Malibu
2007 Chrysler 300C

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:02 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

buying a NEW 3800 crate motor will probably run around $3K, then add in the labor costs of the swap and parts needed. You are looking at an easy $5K by the time its all done.

As stated, these motors dont always take to a rebuild, we have seen many rebuilt motors die over the years.

Even if you do the new motor, you still have a car with 240K miles on everything else. Transmissions are already problematic on these cars, suspension is weak, brakes are horrible & electronics are buggy. And thats in a new car!!!

Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 1.95

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:58 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Or you can just buy another 3.4 or have the existing one rebuilt.

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
impalafirst
Dedicated
Dedicated

Posts per day: 0.1

2014 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:04 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I would part out the 3.4 impala and put that money with what you were intending to spend on a motor. You get a decent used impala if you can't go new.
00impala123
Senior Level
Senior Level

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:23 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

impalafirst wrote:
I would part out the 3.4 impala and put that money with what you were intending to spend on a motor. You get a decent used impala if you can't go new.

Not a bad idea..you could also take that and get a grand prix if that interests you. getting an 01 or 02 gtp is gonna be a lot cheaper than an 04 or 05 impala ss..and its the same thing (as long as its in good shape)

Master Level
Master Level

Posts per day: 0.9

2005 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:56 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

nothing wrong with modding a 3.4L either. Just swap in a new 3400

these cars wont go fast unless you spend 2 or 3 times what the cars worth on JUST engine mods. so theres no real point in modding these unless you benefit from it more than getting guys to like your car. a few IHE mods and some love to the trans and you should be happy with that. 200 HP is plenty for a daily driver unless you got something to prove

my 2 Cents

PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 1.95

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:37 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Grape wrote:
nothing wrong with modding a 3.4L either. Just swap in a new 3400

these cars wont go fast unless you spend 2 or 3 times what the cars worth on JUST engine mods. so theres no real point in modding these unless you benefit from it more than getting guys to like your car. a few IHE mods and some love to the trans and you should be happy with that. 200 HP is plenty for a daily driver unless you got something to prove

my 2 Cents

Sums it up. It's a family sedan not a muscle car. Although I do have to admit the 3.8 are very reliable if you wanted to go that route.

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
lalondtm

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:16 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I wasn't really going for the muscle car route, I just need this car to last me for another 5 years probably, and I know this engine wont go that far. I was looking at a 3.8 because of how great the motor is, I probably won't do to much performance stuff.
Pitch Black SS
NAIOA Owner / Founder
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1982 Chevrolet Malibu
2007 Chrysler 300C

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:28 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

lalondtm wrote:
I wasn't really going for the muscle car route, I just need this car to last me for another 5 years probably, and I know this engine wont go that far. I was looking at a 3.8 because of how great the motor is, I probably won't do to much performance stuff.

the motor is only "great" if you want to mod a front wheel drive family sedan, otherwise, its just another push rod V6.

Go with another 3400, will be much more cost effective and just as reliable as the 3800. You can save the rest of the $$ you would have put towards the 3800 swap for a transmission.

Senior Level
Senior Level

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:09 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Pitch Black SS wrote:
lalondtm wrote:

the motor is only "great" if you want to mod a front wheel drive family sedan, otherwise, its just another push rod V6.

Go with another 3400, will be much more cost effective and just as reliable as the 3800. You can save the rest of the $$ you would have put towards the 3800 swap for a transmission.

What he said. If you dont plan on modding the 3.8 it isnt worth the cost

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: