NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account
 

  
NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - I did my First Spark Plug Job today. Fronts done not backs.
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

I did my First Spark Plug Job today. Fronts done not backs.
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
2001Ls
Resident
Resident


Joined: Jun 26, 2009
Posts: 715
Posts per day: 0.24
Location: New Jersey New Milford

2001 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:18 pm    Post subject:  I did my First Spark Plug Job today. Fronts done not backs. Reply with quote

I just wanted to tell you guys that I tried to do my first spark plug replacement today. The fronts were no necessarily cake but after removing the dog bones and the brackets in the front I was able to change all 3 front plugs. I was very proud and I am happy about my bleeding dirty knuckles, I took a break and drive (the idle is smoother, Im not just having a placebo affect, the car is quieter, but it still is a bit bogged for some reason) any ways I tried to do the back plugs and I didnt even get a single boot off. I took off the dog bones up front (after I drove the back wheels up on ramps) and tilted the engine forward. I couldnt get access to the back boots really well. I tried removing a couple components like the coolant over flow, the alternater support bar but still no good. Anyways, I am really happy that I got the front ones done on my own. I feel like I need to get the back ones done before I can be really proud of myself. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks for reading.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBzDddXSRs8
Video on doing the back plugs/ rear plugs

_________________


2001 Impala LS 81k as of Nov,2011
3.8 V6 3800 Series 2
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
98ss
Uber
Uber


Joined: Jun 06, 2009
Posts: 817
Posts per day: 0.27
Location: Ann Arbor

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Silverado


PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:31 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

twist the boots to break them loose from the plug then try. Also remove the strut tower brace and go in from the top. If you have the 3.4, go around the backside around the alternator.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor


Joined: Nov 30, 2008
Posts: 6396
Posts per day: 1.99
Location: I love drawing butts on stuff.

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series


PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:35 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Yeah it took me a couple hours to change mine. The back ones aren't really too bad. It's just trying too find the holes in the heads to put the plugs in. Laughing Also on the 3.4 the oil dipstick on front in kind of annoying.

_________________

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
topgun
Resident
Resident


Joined: May 19, 2011
Posts: 639
Posts per day: 0.28
Location: Upstate N Y

2005 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:16 pm    Post subject:  I did my first spark plug . . . Reply with quote

These things have spark plugs? Ohh man, more stuff to check. Good on you for doing yours. Cool

_________________
Untamed . . . and don't try to change me
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
VictoryRed09
Forum Regular
Forum Regular


Joined: Jul 06, 2010
Posts: 263
Posts per day: 0.1


2009 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:03 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Congratulations on getting a little Grease under the finger nails and several knuckle scars.
Might look to get a Spark Plug boot puller ..
Harbor Fieght has a one. Autozone and o'Reilly and most other auto supply stores can hook you up with one of some sort or the other.
Mine was from Autozone. $ 9.00 and works pretty good.

Also doing the back .. get a racketing strap to crank the engine forward as much as possible to get maximum clearance.

Good luck.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
intelinside
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: Mar 30, 2011
Posts: 35
Posts per day: 0.01
Location: Charlotte NC


PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:54 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The best way to do the rear plugs (i have a 3.4) is to :
place car in neutral and apply parking brake. secure rear wheels with blocks.
disconnect the air intake tub from the air filter housing
disconnect two front engine mounts (only 2 bolts per mount)
attach a rachet strap to the peice that comes above the alternator (has an obvious spot to attach the rachet strap hook to)
attach rachet strap to frame by grill (as straight as possible)
crank the rachet as tight as possible.

I found that if you remove the entire plate that the 3 ignition coils/distributors sit on, you'll have a little more elbow room to get in there. I belive theres 3 electrical connections attached to the distributors, disconnect these before hand.

Took me about 1hr 15min to replace cylinder1 spark plug, and that was in the rain with s**t tools...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
2001Ls
Resident
Resident


Joined: Jun 26, 2009
Posts: 715
Posts per day: 0.24
Location: New Jersey New Milford

2001 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:19 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Thanks guys.... Im going for round 3 sometime this week. Maybe Ill buy a spark boot puller. Does it give good leverage or does it slip?

_________________


2001 Impala LS 81k as of Nov,2011
3.8 V6 3800 Series 2
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
topgun
Resident
Resident


Joined: May 19, 2011
Posts: 639
Posts per day: 0.28
Location: Upstate N Y

2005 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:18 pm    Post subject:  I did my first spark plug . . . Reply with quote

When you use the boot puller, make sure you twist the boot on the plug first to break it loose from the plug and don't tear the boot. Use light force when pulling but be gentle. Cool

_________________
Untamed . . . and don't try to change me
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor


Joined: Nov 30, 2008
Posts: 6396
Posts per day: 1.99
Location: I love drawing butts on stuff.

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series


PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:42 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

intelinside wrote:
The best way to do the rear plugs (i have a 3.4) is to :
place car in neutral and apply parking brake. secure rear wheels with blocks.
disconnect the air intake tub from the air filter housing
disconnect two front engine mounts (only 2 bolts per mount)
attach a rachet strap to the peice that comes above the alternator (has an obvious spot to attach the rachet strap hook to)
attach rachet strap to frame by grill (as straight as possible)
crank the rachet as tight as possible.

I found that if you remove the entire plate that the 3 ignition coils/distributors sit on, you'll have a little more elbow room to get in there. I belive theres 3 electrical connections attached to the distributors, disconnect these before hand.

Took me about 1hr 15min to replace cylinder1 spark plug, and that was in the rain with s**t tools...


I just removed the coil packs myself. I wish I would of clean that plate off though. Removing the the power brake booster hose helps a little too of course.

_________________

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
billy101
Member Level
Member Level


Joined: Sep 12, 2010
Posts: 1704
Posts per day: 0.66
Location: Willow Spring, NC

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu


PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:54 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I'll probably be replacing my spark plugs and wires when I pull the motor in about a month to replace my tranny...but when we did the spark plugs & wires at 100k we used a boot puller for the back wires and had no issues.

_________________
2002 Impala LS 3.8 -121,749 miles 11/13/2011
2001 Impala LS 3.8 - 118,510 miles. 9/2/2011. RIP - 11/12/2011
2010 Malibu LTZ 3.6 - 16,014miles. 8/20/2011.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor


Joined: Nov 30, 2008
Posts: 6396
Posts per day: 1.99
Location: I love drawing butts on stuff.

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series


PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:58 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

billy101 wrote:
I'll probably be replacing my spark plugs and wires when I pull the motor in about a month to replace my tranny...but when we did the spark plugs & wires at 100k we used a boot puller for the back wires and had no issues.


Lucky you. Razz Doing while the motors out will be a 10 minute job. Very Happy

_________________

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
billy101
Member Level
Member Level


Joined: Sep 12, 2010
Posts: 1704
Posts per day: 0.66
Location: Willow Spring, NC

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu


PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:10 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

PushrodPower wrote:
billy101 wrote:
I'll probably be replacing my spark plugs and wires when I pull the motor in about a month to replace my tranny...but when we did the spark plugs & wires at 100k we used a boot puller for the back wires and had no issues.


Lucky you. Razz Doing while the motors out will be a 10 minute job. Very Happy


Oh I know. I've got to do the valve cover gaskets and oil pan while the motor is out as well. I lose about a quart of oil every oil change due to the oil pan and rear valve cover leaking.

_________________
2002 Impala LS 3.8 -121,749 miles 11/13/2011
2001 Impala LS 3.8 - 118,510 miles. 9/2/2011. RIP - 11/12/2011
2010 Malibu LTZ 3.6 - 16,014miles. 8/20/2011.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
VIKING
Resident
Resident


Joined: May 23, 2006
Posts: 643
Posts per day: 0.16
Location: east coast

2003 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:15 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I used an engine tilter, remove both the dogbone engine supports and replace one with the tilter...Its made by , not CAL-VAN, the other company. I have heard that instead of the tool you can "lever" the engine forward.

_________________
LA1 2003 IMPALA

Today is the oldest you have ever been, yet the youngest you will ever be.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gems
Uber
Uber


Joined: Feb 18, 2006
Posts: 928
Posts per day: 0.22
Location: Long Island, New York

2001 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:11 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Sorry to hijack this thread but I am planning on doing the plugs and wires on my 2001 3.8L Imp soon... I have about 105,000 miles on the originals... Having a slight misfire problem under light load and I suspect either plugs or wires are needed (no CEL light).

I have a question on removing the dog bones and rotating the engine forward for access to the rear plus... Doesn't that put stress on the downpipe when you rotate the engine? Can it do damage?

_________________
Go Mark Martin!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
billy101
Member Level
Member Level


Joined: Sep 12, 2010
Posts: 1704
Posts per day: 0.66
Location: Willow Spring, NC

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu


PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:33 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Gems wrote:
Sorry to hijack this thread but I am planning on doing the plugs and wires on my 2001 3.8L Imp soon... I have about 105,000 miles on the originals... Having a slight misfire problem under light load and I suspect either plugs or wires are needed (no CEL light).

I have a question on removing the dog bones and rotating the engine forward for access to the rear plus... Doesn't that put stress on the downpipe when you rotate the engine? Can it do damage?


No, you'll be fine using a ratchet strap or something similar to pull the motor forward to gain access to the rear plugs/wires. The downpipe won't be of issue.

_________________
2002 Impala LS 3.8 -121,749 miles 11/13/2011
2001 Impala LS 3.8 - 118,510 miles. 9/2/2011. RIP - 11/12/2011
2010 Malibu LTZ 3.6 - 16,014miles. 8/20/2011.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
Forums ©
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. Comments and posts are property of the poster. All other content is © 2008 by the NAIOA.


Use of this site constitutes agreement with the NAIOA Terms of Service (TOS)


PHP-Nuke Copyright © 2005 by Francisco Burzi. This is free software, and you may redistribute it under the GPL. PHP-Nuke comes with absolutely no warranty, for details, see the license.
Server Local Time: September 24, 2017, 7:54:24 pm
Page Generation: 0.15 Seconds ( SQL 45:134 in 0.02 Seconds )