NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - New user, new exhaust. Please Help!
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

New user, new exhaust. Please Help!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lalondtm

Posts per day: 0

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:16 pm    Post subject:  New user, new exhaust. Please Help! Reply with quote

Hello everyone, I'm new to the site, but I've owned my 2001 Impala since 2008. I'm planning on replacing parts of the exhaust this coming weekend, and I need some help. I want a tougher sounding muffler than what Autozone or anybody recommends as a replacement. I've noticed that a lot of impala enthusiasts are using the Flowmaster 40 series. My concern is that I'm doing it myself (with help) and I want to make sure it fits. We don't have any pipe bending equiptment, and I'm sort of getting the idea that pipes will need to be bent in order for it to fit. Can anyone help me with this? Or at least suggest a muffler that will fit, but also sound good?

I have a 2001 Impala, 3.4liter and my exhuast pipe size is 2 1/4".

Thanks!!
grimsin
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.4

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:40 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

you should try A muffler with 1 inlet 2 outlet and make that dual exhaust, ive heard a few and love the sound, and if my dual exhaust ever rusts threw thats the setup ill be doing.
00impala123
Senior Level
Senior Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.93

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:04 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Flowmaster 40's sound good, along with Flowmaster Super 44's...the downfall is they done a lot on the highway

I would look at getting magnaflows. I switched from my super 44 to my GMPP cat back (magnaflow mufflers) and couldnt be happier. It sounds amazing and its not too loud until its WOT

Check out the exhaust sound database on here

NAIOA Owner / Founder
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

Posts per day: 2.55

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1982 Chevrolet Malibu
2007 Chrysler 300C
1986 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:31 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

offset inlet, center outlet is what you need. Should go right in place of the factory one. You may need to extend the tailpipe a bit, but that is just straight pipe

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:21 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The flowmaster 40 is an offset inlet and center outlet, so it should just fit?
Pitch Black SS
NAIOA Owner / Founder
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1982 Chevrolet Malibu
2007 Chrysler 300C

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:08 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

lalondtm wrote:
The flowmaster 40 is an offset inlet and center outlet, so it should just fit?

the flowmaster 40 is available in many configurations, make sure you buy the right one. When I had my exhaust made for the 04SS, I used flowmaster 40's but in the center/center config.

climb under the car and see what you have now. See where the pipes come in, see if they are aligned to each other or if they are offset.

You said you were doing this yourself, best way to learn is to gather all the info you can on your own. Your car may not have the factory exhaust on it, someone may have changed it (prior owner). We can only give you recommendations on stock systems.

Also, nothing will fit perfectly except OEM, so some tweaking may be needed no matter what muffler you buy. You just have to use some common sense and figure out how to get it to work correctly.

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:11 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

thanks a lot!
barnettimpala
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.53

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix
2003 Pontiac Grand Prix

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:54 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Yep just as Pitch said, it's an offset inlet, center outlet. So I'd just go buy whatever muffler you want in that configuration, then when you get it, you'll need no more than a tip and less than a foot of 2.25" pipe, depending on the muffler length and the length of the tip. I'd suggest a 3" tip. Now, if you have a little more time and can get access to a pipe bender or have someone to bend pipe, I'd definitely recommend going the dual exhaust route, just because it sounds good and looks 100x better. Most people would just make a y and run a new pipe to the driver's side then weld a hanger over there. Like I said, if you have the patience, go that route. I actually have a flowmaster crossflow mounted sideways, its different, but way more difficult than the other dual exhaust way. Flowmaster's do drone a bit more than others, but it's not that bad, at least not my 80 series. Magnaflows sound good, but then again summit and thrush mufflers sound good as well. Just do a whole bunch of research looking a videos of different mufflers to come to a conclusion. Obviously with a video, you don't get the same effect as in person, but you can compare still. Good luck with the project!

2002 Impala- SSC, AGX, 18" charger R/t rims w/8mm spacers, Magnaflow cat, U-bend delete, flowmaster 80 series crossflow, z28 tips, HAI, debadged, 35% tint, smoked headlights, full sound system
lalondtm

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:46 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I installed the flowmaster 40 series delta flow today. Ran into a few problems being that I got the exhaust pipe from Napa, and the resonator from Carquest, and the muffler from Flowmaster, so we had to make a few adaptations, but everything eventually fit together and it sounds great! Thanks for all the help!
Pitch Black SS
NAIOA Owner / Founder
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1982 Chevrolet Malibu
2007 Chrysler 300C

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:23 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

its not so much the different places you got the parts from as it is the use of non-factory parts. They never fit correctly and will need some work to get them to fit right.

Member Level
Member Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.51

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2007 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:56 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Why not do duals?

billy101 wrote:
Conner wrote:
how do the dealer's expect us to get the cars there if they don 't run at all?

Tow Truck?
lalondtm

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:13 am    Post subject:  no duals Reply with quote

I didn't put on a dual exhaust mainly because I'm broke! I'm still a student, so I only work part time, it takes me a while to save any money let alone EXTRA! Maybe down the road when I get a good job haha. My next step however, is replacing my engine. I have a 3.4 with 240K miles. Surprisingly, the under body of my vehicle is in extremely good shape, so I'm going to replace my motor in the spring. However I'm going to upgrade to a 3.8, and I'm aiming for a re-manufactured engine vs junk yard diving. But I'll save that for another forum.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: