NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Bad turn signal switch?
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Bad turn signal switch?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vio

Posts per day: 0.01

2002 Chevrolet Impala
1984 Pontiac Firebird
1978 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:56 am    Post subject:  Bad turn signal switch? Reply with quote

Since mid-August, my turn signal flasher on the gauge cluster has been flashing and clicking faster than usual, as if a bulb is burned out, but I checked and all the bulbs are functioning. Another issue that occurs is nothing happens at all when I hit the turn signal, but then it works again. Yesterday on my way home from work I noticed my turn signal did not work at all during the entire trip home. This morning on my way to work it functioned again, but ran fast. It's intermittent for sure.

So do I need to get a new turn signal swtich? It looks like I have to remove the steering wheel to access this area, is there an easy procedure to follow? Never done this before and the Haynes manual is vague.

Thanks,

Vio
Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 2.31

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:02 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

You should pull out your headlights and taillights to make sure there is no carbon buildup on the electrical contacts. If there are, disconnect the battery and clean the contacts with rubbing alcohol and a q-tip.

I had this issue previously and after cleaning up the contacts, everything has been fine. If it helps, I would say start with the taillights first, but that's only because that's where I had carbon buildup.

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
billy101
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.65

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:04 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

When it's not working, hit above where the 4-way flasher button is. Mine was like this forever, it would flash insanely fast, slow down, and then not even work at all. If I smacked the dash above where the 4-way flasher switch is, it would fix itself... I'm 99% sure that's what your problem is.

I ordered the DORMAN from Rockauto.com.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalo.....pk=1534302

It even includes a video on how to replace the switch.

Pitch Black SS
NAIOA Owner / Founder
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

Posts per day: 2.55

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1982 Chevrolet Malibu
2007 Chrysler 300C
1986 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:39 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

think billy hit it right on the head, sounds like the flasher module went out. Its a fairly cheap / easy fix as compared to the MFS

Dedicated
Dedicated
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.13

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:57 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

you do not have to remove the dash panel to install, I just replaced mine last week per the same symptoms..Using the new switch to see where the clips are, I used 2 small and skinny flat head screw drivers to unhinge, and it came right out with harness attached.. Installation was just plug and put back until it clicked
billy101
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.65

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:20 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

PBnj wrote:
you do not have to remove the dash panel to install, I just replaced mine last week per the same symptoms..Using the new switch to see where the clips are, I used 2 small and skinny flat head screw drivers to unhinge, and it came right out with harness attached.. Installation was just plug and put back until it clicked

This can be done as well. But I've had my dash off so many times if my hazard switch went again I could have the dash off and replace that switch in about 5 minutes.

Vio

2002 Chevrolet Impala
1984 Pontiac Firebird
1978 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:26 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies; I'll be replacing it soon.
REDLINE
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.35

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2000 GMC Sierra
2001 Chevrolet S10
1994 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:46 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Hmm... I'm having a SIMILAR issue, in that once every other week I go to make a left turn and the flasher starts flashing really fast, indicating there's a bulb malfunction I figured. I tracked it down to the left rear turn signal not working. I have a pack of bulbs, but I haven't replaced it yet because it's really intermittent. Wondering if that corrosion build up might be the case here, I'll have to pop my bulb out and check it out.

2002 Chevrolet Impala
1984 Pontiac Firebird
1978 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Well,

This is so very late of me.....

The intermittent issue became so bad in the last few months that I finally replaced the hazard switch this last Saturday, September 28th, 2013 (haha). The OE switch was 100% of the problem; PBnj's "cheat fix" saved me alot of time too!

Thankfully, Dorman continues to make quality aftermarket products and more often than not exceeding the dealers' OE parts. On another thought, this new switch seems to make a gentler clicking noise while the turn signal and hazards are activated, extra bonus!
Irish_alley
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.15

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1986 GMC Sierra
1994 Chevrolet Silverado
1984 GMC Sierra
1979 Chevrolet Silverado
1991 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:24 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

REDLINE wrote:
Hmm... I'm having a SIMILAR issue, in that once every other week I go to make a left turn and the flasher starts flashing really fast, indicating there's a bulb malfunction I figured. I tracked it down to the left rear turn signal not working. I have a pack of bulbs, but I haven't replaced it yet because it's really intermittent. Wondering if that corrosion build up might be the case here, I'll have to pop my bulb out and check it out.

sometimes the filament in the bulb will break, then you hit a bump or whatever it can short out on the other side and fuse back together till you hit another bump

Sorry if i'm an a**hole, but i tend to speak whats on my mind and the truth as i see it.. May not be right but it seamed right.
REDLINE
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.35

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2000 GMC Sierra
2001 Chevrolet S10
1994 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Irish_alley wrote:

sometimes the filament in the bulb will break, then you hit a bump or whatever it can short out on the other side and fuse back together till you hit another bump

Lol, well that would be frustrating.. but doable and way too easy to 'fix' Wink
My particular case led me on an unnecessary journey looking at bulbs/sockets and getting a false 'guess' by a mechanic that it was the stalk, so I replaced that (which was a little bit of a PITA I may add) and it STILL did it, so I gave up for a bit because I became too busy to mess with it. Then finally went back to said garage and talked to owner who figured it out and it was so obvious I felt dumb that I didn't look better to find it. I bought the car w/a receiver installed on it (this should have been my first clue to investigate). Someone used to tow something with it and had it wired up for trailer lights/signals.. We followed the wiring down from light, out of trunk & down under and back above rear bumper going over to the other light, then back up into the truck and BAM, pulled the nice trunk liner back to find a rats nest of splicing with cheap plastic boxes hiding behind behind and down in the inner trunk, one of the cheap junction/splice boxes had cracked. It must have been starting to crack and every so often lose contact. Took that box out of the equation and jumpered the two wires for turn signal back together and it's worked fine ever since.. duh Rolling Eyes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: