NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - What a day... Im 2 for 2..
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

What a day... Im 2 for 2..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension
View previous topic :: View next topic  
semperfi

Posts per day: 0.01

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:35 pm    Post subject:  What a day... Im 2 for 2.. Reply with quote

I'v never seen this before. spousta go to the track tommorow, so was swaping out my rims today..
the fronts, fine.
first rear im, 2 for two on snapped studs...
iv never seen a stud snap from backing off..
Im really debating changeing them all, if they just sheered like that...
either way. im pretty Pissed.. cant drive with 2 lugs sheered off. nevermind the track tommorow. what a piss off..
sorry, more of a rant.
guess ill be making a trip to the dealership tommorow to get 10 new studs.
wonder what the damage will be to my walet. anyone know?
Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 2.31

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:13 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

ZSpot could get you a price, but know that Ontario prices may be significantly higher. I've never priced wheel studs. Sucks that they have snapped on you.... are you running aftermarket rims with non-5x115 bolt pattern?

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
VictoryRed09
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.1

2009 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:28 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

For those that might be interested.

Wheel studs breaking off when being taken off, is usually the result of installation. Reason I say this is.
A while ago, I got a 115 hub from a W-Body and a wheel with a 114.3 Bolt pattern. I got help from an engineer with some torque tools and stuff from the lab. What we found is that when a lug nut is spun on with an impact wrench at high speed the nut would slip off center ( because the wheel seat was very very slightly off center from the stud center. When the nut would touch one side of the seat before the other, the Threads inside the nut would friction Weld at the top of the thread to the stud. The 2 of us hand turned the nuts and torqued by hand, and had no failures, But the Speed of an Impact wrench would friction weld the nut to the stud over 60% of the time. We went through 20 studs during testing.

We would break the stud , and then saw the nut off the stud by cutting the nut from both sides so the nut could be peeled open like a peanut. Every time the threads were friction wleded to the stud for top 2 or 3 thread turns.

So if you have 115 bolt pattern and the first nut goes on crooked and/or the wheel is not square to the hub plate.. OR you have 114.3 bolt pattern wheels on a 115 hub .. the nuts will Friction weld very often if using an Impact at FULL SPEED to put the nuts on. The Impact would weld just before it hit full torque specs. So, the nut was tight but not fully bottomed on the seat side.

So when taking the wheels off with a friction welded nut the stud will break off.

This was no a scientific test , but we did have some good equipment and a controlled testing set of standards.

2 Cents
habermehl
Member Level
Member Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.51

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2007 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:46 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

My mechanic charges me 10 bucks a stud. Why do people still go to the dealership when they know there gonna get ripped off expecially when there are so many parts stores and other mechanics to go to???????????

billy101 wrote:
Conner wrote:
how do the dealer's expect us to get the cars there if they don 't run at all?

Tow Truck?
impala2k
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.18

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:55 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

As far as breaking studs goes, I broke plenty on an old buick I had. !986 Buick Park Avenue. Probably about 8 or 9 after I sold the car. What had caused it was Aftermarket wheels not seating against the hub properly, after I put spacers it was fine. As far as breaking studs by taking lugs off, I have never had it happen. Though my Uncle had it happen to him a bunch on his old Testarossa. Actually one of the main reasons he sold the car.

Member Level
Member Level
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 0.55

2010 Lincoln MKS
2014 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:07 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

impala2k wrote:
Though my Uncle had it happen to him a bunch on his old Testarossa. Actually one of the main reasons he sold the car.

I can only imagine how much those cost him to replace....

2010 Buick Enclave CXL - bone stock;
2010 Lincoln MKS Ecoboost - V6 AWD Twin Turbo; Livernois Motorsports Tuned, 0 to 60 in 3.90 seconds;
2014 Impala Limited LTZ
2009 Impala SS (SOLD)
impala2k
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.18

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:33 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

TSS wrote:
impala2k wrote:
Though my Uncle had it happen to him a bunch on his old Testarossa. Actually one of the main reasons he sold the car.

I can only imagine how much those cost him to replace....

Probably all the ones he replaced were worth more than my Impala lol. I don't really know. But he didn't buy the car so I don''t think it bothered him too much.

Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.1

2009 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:03 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

You can get Dorman Wheel studs for about $2.50 a piece at Autozone.
O'Rielly or Napa Price is a little more for the same part number.
Dealership may cost more unless you know the parts guy by first name.. Like we know Z-spot.

2 Cents
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: