NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Frender and hood replacement
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Frender and hood replacement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Erkdance

Posts per day: 0

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:22 pm    Post subject:  Frender and hood replacement Reply with quote

I was looking to buy a repair manual for an 04 LS. I have read that Haynes are inaccurate. Anyway I am going to replace my driver side fender and my hood, and I was just curious to know the level of difficulty on replacing it, and if there was a reasonably price repair manual worth buying.

I am also going to replace the thermostat as I was getting codes last winter from it. So the book would need to include engine repairs as well.
habermehl
Member Level
Member Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.52

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2007 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:26 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The hood and fender are simple to replace the fender take half hour and the hood 15 minutes with a buddy the t-stat is pretty straight forward on the 3800

billy101 wrote:
Conner wrote:
how do the dealer's expect us to get the cars there if they don 't run at all?

Tow Truck?
Erkdance

Posts per day: 0

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:30 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

That is what I thought... I took a look at it and it seemed pretty easy. But someone from a dealership said it doesn't work like that (I said it was easy). Guess he was trying to rope me into a repair
MISHNAH
Master Level
Master Level

Posts per day: 0.63

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Mercedes-Benz E Class
2006 Nissan Murano
2003 BMW 5 Series

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:39 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Erkdance wrote:
That is what I thought... I took a look at it and it seemed pretty easy. But someone from a dealership said it doesn't work like that (I said it was easy). Guess he was trying to rope me into a repair

Removing the hood means undoing the hood supports, and 4 bolts.

The fender is a bit more complicated, most of the bolts are easy to get to, but you have to remove the rocker panel for the bottom bolt, which means carefully trying to remove about 8 plastic clips and unlatching 7 others Rolling Eyes , or breaking them and paying $3+ each for new ones.

2002 Galaxy Silver Sedan - LS cluster - Debadged - Intrigue compass/autodim mirror - DIC - Regal graphite leather seats - LS console with floor shift conversion - Monte Carlo black leather steering wheel - LS springs - KYB GR-2 Struts - GMPP sway bars and rear STB - Fog light frontend harness - LS Bumper with fog lights - Painted trim and side skirts

2006 Nissan Murano - Autodim/compass mirror
2006 Mercedez-Benz E350 - Stock for stock, its faster than an SS, woot!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
98ss
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.27

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:45 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I was able to find the fasteners that hold the rockers on @ clips and fasteners.com. i think I paid like 7 bucks for 12.
habermehl
Member Level
Member Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.52

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2007 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:16 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

What ever you do dont buy them at the dealer they will try and charge 125 for 20 Shocked

billy101 wrote:
Conner wrote:
how do the dealer's expect us to get the cars there if they don 't run at all?

Tow Truck?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: