NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - head gasket issue?
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

head gasket issue?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission
View previous topic :: View next topic  
00impala123
Senior Level
Senior Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.93

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:33 pm    Post subject:  head gasket issue? Reply with quote

Alright so the other night it got a little chilly while driving. Went to turn on my heat and noticed that it wasn't working.

First thing I thought was LIM seeing as how that was the problem last time. I just replaced them (with the updated gaskets) last december, and I checked, and I havent lost any coolant (maybe a tiny bit, but it wasn't noticeable to me when I looked at it), and I haven't really noticed any oil/coolant mixture.

So, I figured maybe there was some air trapped in the system. Popped open the radiator cap, ran it until it was hot, and tried to bleed it from the tstat bleeder. Figured everything would be good so I started it back up to test the heat. Still nothing.

Now, I ran the car with the cap off. Noticed a little bit of white smoke (could have been steam since it wasn't very thick) coming out of the radiator. Waited until it was gone and looked inside. BUBBLES...not what I wanted to see. There seemed to be a good amount of air bubbles in the coolant which is why I am thinking headgasket.

I haven't noticed any smoke out of the exhaust, no coolant leaking on the engine bay anywhere or anything like that. Tomorrow I am going to replace the Tstat and to eliminate that as the problem, I'm gonna get a better look at the coolant as well and see whats going on with that.

Just wanted to see if it sounds like a head gasket to everybody else. The bubbles are what scares me lol. It's not a terrible job I'm just mad that it happened so short after doing my other internal gaskets...woulda been nice to not have 2 redo it lol

Master Level
Master Level

Posts per day: 0.63

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Mercedes-Benz E Class
2006 Nissan Murano
2003 BMW 5 Series

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:16 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I'm going through the same damn thing right now. Sad

Do the bubbles smell like exhaust? My radiator smells like pure exhaust, plus its getting caked with major crud right now.

I bought a $30 bottle of head gasket fix and will try it in the next few days. Very Happy We used it when we bought a 98 Ranger with 240k and a supposed blown head gasket, never had any issues. We flushed the coolant and it looked like it was blowing some white smoke, I guess the flush washed out the repair fibers. We poured in another bottle and the smoke went away. Laughing woohoo!

2002 Galaxy Silver Sedan - LS cluster - Debadged - Intrigue compass/autodim mirror - DIC - Regal graphite leather seats - LS console with floor shift conversion - Monte Carlo black leather steering wheel - LS springs - KYB GR-2 Struts - GMPP sway bars and rear STB - Fog light frontend harness - LS Bumper with fog lights - Painted trim and side skirts

2006 Nissan Murano - Autodim/compass mirror
2006 Mercedez-Benz E350 - Stock for stock, its faster than an SS, woot!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
00impala123
Senior Level
Senior Level

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:27 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I didn't really pay attention to a smell, but I'll check that out tomorrow.

If it is a head gasket issue I will probably flush throw in some of that repair stuff for now, and tackle the job over thanksgiving break from school. I just dont have time when I go to class every day and have nothing but a parking lot 2 work in so its def. an at home job lol.

I will update tomorrow. I may order one of those combustion gas tester kits and see if that tests positive just to confirm my suspicions...this could be the perfect time to top swap, or put some ported heads on and turbo lol

Dedicated
Dedicated

Posts per day: 0.15

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2013 Hyundai Sonata

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:59 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

had bubbles in mine when my tstat went, check the rad hose and see if its rock hard.
Irish_alley
Resident
Resident

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1986 GMC Sierra
1994 Chevrolet Silverado
1984 GMC Sierra
1979 Chevrolet Silverado
1991 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:14 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

thought (could be wrong) but if the head gasket was bad it would be over heating. if its not hot then usually one of three problems one is low coolant or the hcv isnt working where applicable. or clogged core. bubbles isnt really a sign of much unless its overheating and there is a lot. Again I havnt had the pleasure of working on one of these cars so I could be wrong but in my experience in older trucks this is what to look for

Sorry if i'm an a**hole, but i tend to speak whats on my mind and the truth as i see it.. May not be right but it seamed right.
Arvetus
Senior Level
Senior Level

Posts per day: 0.56

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:25 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

did you check your thermostat?
I would think that if your coolant bubbles smelled of exhaust that it would be unmistakable...

RIP 10/23/2010, 191,197 miles - traded on a 2003 Tahoe Z71
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Irish_alley
Resident
Resident

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1986 GMC Sierra
1994 Chevrolet Silverado
1984 GMC Sierra
1979 Chevrolet Silverado
1991 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:29 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Lol yeah that would be a dead giveaway. But I have had bubbles before due to low fluid

Sorry if i'm an a**hole, but i tend to speak whats on my mind and the truth as i see it.. May not be right but it seamed right.
00impala123
Senior Level
Senior Level

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:06 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Alright, well There were 2 times when it over heated. I have it tuned for 180* along with a 180* tstat and it was getting to about 220 or so.

It happened twice, both times were in idle though and my hour and a half trip sunday it got to around 200 once and that was about it. Checked the smell, nothing noticeable. I added a little bit more coolant just to top it off and today I will be changing the Tstat...

I'm starting to think maybe I got lucky and had a bad tstat. Now I'll just have 2 watch my coolant and make sure I'm not loosing any.

Posts per day: 0.01

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:15 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

http://www.blockchek.com/
00impala123
Senior Level
Senior Level

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:39 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

intelinside wrote:
http://www.blockchek.com/

Ya this is the kit I was talking about, so far I havent had any more issues with it, so I think it mighta just been the Tstat. If it returns Ill buy one of those kits

Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.26

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:52 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Get a pressure tester on there. It will tell you everything you need to know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: