NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Suggestions Removing Brake System Rust from Alloy Wheels
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Suggestions Removing Brake System Rust from Alloy Wheels

View previous topic :: View next topic  
2008WC58
Cadet
Cadet

Posts per day: 0.02

2008 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:00 pm    Post subject:  Suggestions Removing Brake System Rust from Alloy Wheels Reply with quote

My 2008 LT has the 17" alloys. I have been somewhat negligent in keeping my factory clear-coated wheels thoroughly clean. I periodically wash my vehicle to include the wheels, but it seems that a buildup of rust from the pads/rotors has accumulated in the small crevices/corners of the wheels.
I use an industrial strength citrus-based cleaner and an 1100 psi power washer and then usually follow up with a soap-soaked sponge to clean the wheels and has worked effectively on my other vehicles.
I am detailing around the Impala and noticed this rust build-up and found that the aforementioned process does not work, The overall surface of the wheel comes clean, but the residues in the crevices/corners will not budge.
Anyone know of a safe-to-use cleaner, etc that can be used to remove this build-up? I'm thinking of something with a tooth brush, but I want to say clear of certain chemicals and abrasives that can dull and/or scratch the clear coat surface.
I'm open for suggestions/remedies.
Thanks,...
98ss
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.27

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:43 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I have used eagle 1 stuff, right now i'm using mequires rim x (I think its called). However, if there are any imperfections in the clear...you will defienetly know.
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.64

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:28 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

When I still had my stock MCSS wheels I had to take a q-tip with wheel cleaner on it to get the junk out of the crevices. After you get it super clean, hit the wheel with some wheel wax and the dust will come off much easier next time.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Car Care All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: