NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Looking to upgrade (again)
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Looking to upgrade (again)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Audio / Video Club
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dominus
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.08

2004 Chevrolet Impala
2009 BMW 3 Series

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:29 am    Post subject:  Looking to upgrade (again) Reply with quote

i know this forum is filled with these but i dont want to jack others threads and i cant find mine so . . . .
im looking into a new system. i was rear ended last month and as much as i love my imp, it only left a scuff on the bumper and the insurance gave me $560 dollars for the scuff. Currently i have two 12" JL W3v3s in a sealed box powered by a kicker 750.1. i love the sound quality of these and i dont want anything less. (blowing away $1500 2000 watt systems and seeing the look on their face is well worth it) but now i feel after having them over three years, theyre losing their power. (or its possible im losing my hearing haha) but i want to upgrade.

im currently looking at a few $500 bundles at sonic electronics but some are polk and boss and i know those are lower class and prob wont sound as great no matter how much power i put to them. im hoping you guys can help me discover some of the better brands that im not familiar with.

im prob gonna go with a sealed box again cuz i like the deep boom feel. but i might make me some fiberglass corner boxes (up for suggestions).

looking at these to start http://www.sonicelectronix.com.....ifier.html
thanks

No. That would imply everyone here would overlook all it's glaring flaws and all of the better competition while talking about how much they like it.
00impala123
Senior Level
Senior Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.92

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:59 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Why not just add to your system by replacing the speakers all around with quality speakers and amping the fronts? (and rears if u dont have factory amp)

Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2004 Chevrolet Impala
2009 BMW 3 Series

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:11 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

i have the factory amp, and stock isnt bad. like pbss mention in another thread:
Quote:
What you need to do is eliminate all bass from the factory speakers and let the subs do what they do. Factory speakers do fine without the bass.

and like i said the w3s are losing their touch, one has a small crack that has electrical tape to seal it ( works pretty well actually) and i swear they just dont hit as hard as they used to. also my little brother just got his first truck and i kinda wanna give him these as his first system.

No. That would imply everyone here would overlook all it's glaring flaws and all of the better competition while talking about how much they like it.
00impala123
Senior Level
Senior Level

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:25 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I gotchya. I thought ur subs were still in good condition.

Polk arent bad as far as speakers that I have heard. Never listened to their subs though. JL for the most part is overrated. dont get me wrong they are awesome subs, but for what you would spend buying them new you could get better for the same price.

I run two 12" earthquake DBX subs and I absolutely love them. Try looking at earthquake and just see if theres anything that interests you. (mine are an older model and you can't buy them new anymore)
http://earthquakesound.com/ind.....;Itemid=82

Kole audio is another brand to check out.
http://koleaudio.com/products.html

Also check out Focal

I'll post up a few other brands when I'm done cleaning my place...check out the12volt.com

Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2004 Chevrolet Impala
2009 BMW 3 Series

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:31 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I'm thinking of going 1000rms each or at least 1500rms amp. I might do 2 15s but my cousin already has all the material to make custom in corner boxes and 15s require a lot of cubic footage. I just hope they'll sound good in custom fiberglass.

I appretiate the help. If I would have seen these brands else where I would have skipped them. I hear RE is pretty good as well?

kpraytor

Posts per day: 0.01

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:16 am    Post subject:  Rockford Fosgate RFD 2212 (2412) Reply with quote

I highly recommend these subs (not this exact auction itself, but you get the idea). I have a pair of them in a custom ported box in my car and I love them.

Unfortunately, you can only get them on Ebay or other second hand websites as this particular model has not been manufactured since 2000 (?) or so

Also, these are some the last subs actually made in America by Rockford Fosgate with high quality American parts. I got mine 6 years ago and they are still going strong!

And the dual coil setup gives you a lot of flexibility in the wiring options. I currently have mine wired down to 1 ohm stable Shocked
barnettimpala
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.52

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix
2003 Pontiac Grand Prix

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:27 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Dominus wrote:
I'm thinking of going 1000rms each or at least 1500rms amp. I might do 2 15s but my cousin already has all the material to make custom in corner boxes and 15s require a lot of cubic footage. I just hope they'll sound good in custom fiberglass.

I appretiate the help. If I would have seen these brands else where I would have skipped them. I hear RE is pretty good as well?

I think you could make fiberglass boxes with enough cubes for 15's. Check out my box, it's made of wood, so there's def more oportunity for more room with fiberglass, and mine doesn't take up that much room. It's 1.5 cubic feet, and the part extending along the side was just for the amp. Just the corner is 1.5 cubes. FWIW, I run a single 10 and it's plenty loud. Maybe you could cut it down to like a single 15.

And yes, the HX2 is a monster sub. Getting more expensive and harder to come buy tho.

2002 Impala- SSC, AGX, 18" charger R/t rims w/8mm spacers, Magnaflow cat, U-bend delete, flowmaster 80 series crossflow, z28 tips, HAI, debadged, 35% tint, smoked headlights, full sound system
Dominus
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2004 Chevrolet Impala
2009 BMW 3 Series

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:32 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Thanks a lot. I didn't know the only needed 1.5 cubic feet. I was just out checking my w3s and they hit like they're only 100rms. It saddens me so a new set will have to be on the way as soon as these sell.

barnettimpala
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.52

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix
2003 Pontiac Grand Prix

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:35 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

It really depends on the manufactures specs of how big the box needs to be but most 15's require 1.75-2 cubic feet sealed. With fiberglass, you could get that just in a corner box.

2002 Impala- SSC, AGX, 18" charger R/t rims w/8mm spacers, Magnaflow cat, U-bend delete, flowmaster 80 series crossflow, z28 tips, HAI, debadged, 35% tint, smoked headlights, full sound system
00impala123
Senior Level
Senior Level

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:37 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I made 2 separate boxes for my subs. Each one is 1.75 cf and ported..i have no trunk lol

Dedicated
Dedicated

Posts per day: 0.11

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:03 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Subs play such a small role in the overall sound quality of a complete system. After all they only play 80hz and down out of the entire 20khz-20hz spectrum!

You already have a very nice sub stage, I see no reason to swap it out. What you should really do IMO is invest in some sound deadener (ie Rammat) and deaden the front doors, then add a decent 2ch amp and 6.5 components. Leave the rears stock. Doing this will help the overall SQ much more than just swapping subs. My system is pretty extensive, and doing what I said above is the best upgrade Ive ever done.

But if you insist on subs alone, JBL GTI MKII, and Image Dynamics IDMax are some of the best subs Ive ever used.

Dominus
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2004 Chevrolet Impala
2009 BMW 3 Series

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:21 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

rc10mike wrote:
Subs play such a small role in the overall sound quality of a complete system. After all they only play 80hz and down out of the entire 20khz-20hz spectrum!

You already have a very nice sub stage, I see no reason to swap it out. What you should really do IMO is invest in some sound deadener (ie Rammat) and deaden the front doors, then add a decent 2ch amp and 6.5 components. Leave the rears stock. Doing this will help the overall SQ much more than just swapping subs. My system is pretty extensive, and doing what I said above is the best upgrade Ive ever done.

But if you insist on subs alone, JBL GTI MKII, and Image Dynamics IDMax are some of the best subs Ive ever used.

I will be upgrading the 6.5s and 6x9s later as well as some deadener, but right now i believe my subs are dying. they used to be the loudest on the block but now i can see out of my rearview again and i hate it.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com.....ifier.html

i think im buying these. it looks like a good deal and they should be much louder than what i have now.

rc10mike
Dedicated
Dedicated

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:32 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Subs dont just start dying with age. They either work or they dont! The only thing that changes over time is the subs suspension will break in, and it will actually sound better.

While that package with the IDQ's is a good deal, IDQ's are primairily SQ subs and arent really designed to be super loud, but either way, you are going from a dual 12 setup to another dual 12 setup, it will probably sound the same as what you have, and just because its 700w to 1400w doesnt = twice as loud.

Dominus
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2004 Chevrolet Impala
2009 BMW 3 Series

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:37 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Well i dont know about the whole dying thing but they lost a lot somewhere so i consider that to be dying. and i understand 700 to 1400 isnt double the sound, to double sound takes a lot more than 700w. but still what im looking for in the idqs is the same ground shaping deep boom vs the loud nothing but vibrations that the 10s and 8s seem to provide as well as some of my friends cheepo ebay subs. i love the deep base, with the large wavelengths? that i can watch the change in my cupholder jump rather than vibrate and dance. Hope you know what i mean.

rc10mike
Dedicated
Dedicated

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:40 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Loud deep bass is obtained by 1 thing: lots of air movement.

To do this you either need subs with lots of xmax or simply more cone area.

Have you checked amp, head unit settings to see if something changed? Have you checked to make sure both subs are actually working? If you have a sealed box with only 1 chamber the air pressure from 1 sub might make it look like the other sub is still working. Also check your RCA connections. If 1 channel of the RCA went bad the amp may only be getting half the input signal, thus a lot of volume may be lost...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Audio / Video Club All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: