NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - strange events
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

strange events

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission
View previous topic :: View next topic  
edd70805
Cadet
Cadet

Posts per day: 0.02

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:16 pm    Post subject:  strange events Reply with quote

Ok so i'm driving home and the transmission gets to stuttering and looses power, it tries to shift from 3rd to 4th and it continues to jerk . I stop turn off the car and start it back up, it continues to do the same thing. This time when i give it gas it looses power and i give it more car shakes back and forth and eventually kills. I try to start the car back up the car won't turn over. I can hear that the fuel pump isn't priming. Try starting the car several times nothing happens, there is a check engine light on may i add. I get the car towed home, my dad breaks the line loose in front of the fuel filter. I turn the key at this point the fuel pump primes and the car starts. We connect the line back to the fuel filter and try to start the car again. The fuel pump primes and it starts, no check engine lights on may i add. The idle is not the same though it is idling high. Now i have had the problem before with the idle high, so i cleaned throttle body, and changed throttle position sensor. Doing that and problem went away. I have since changed the throttle position sensor twice, and with this current problem seems as if its going to be a third.

Now i have the following questions. 1. Why is the throttle position sensor going bad on a regular basis?
2. What would make the transmission loose power getting to stuttering and eventually the car kills?
3. Why did the fuel pump stop priming and what caused it to start working again?
If anyone can help please be my guest. Its my daily driver and i need it 04 impala 3.4 93,000 miles
topgun
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.27

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:58 pm    Post subject:  strange events Reply with quote

boy do u have a pocket full o' problems.
Maybe the trans seemed to be giving problems due to a loss of fuel pressure. Maybe the pump is on the way out, poss fpr problems. How old is the fuel filter. Got gas from a different place last time - bad gas!
TPS going bad so much . . . I'm lost on that one.
Check engine lite - any codes?
Good luck.
Cool

edd70805
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:01 pm    Post subject:  Re: strange events Reply with quote

topgun wrote:
boy do u have a pocket full o' problems.
Maybe the trans seemed to be giving problems due to a loss of fuel pressure. Maybe the pump is on the way out, poss fpr problems. How old is the fuel filter. Got gas from a different place last time - bad gas!
TPS going bad so much . . . I'm lost on that one.
Check engine lite - any codes?
Good luck.
Cool

i changed the fpr 2yrs ago. Been getting gas from the same place
check engine light was on but now is off since the car started. Auto part place says they can't pull the code unless the light is on.
Fuel filter hasn't been changed since ive had it
topgun
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.27

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:04 pm    Post subject:  strange events Reply with quote

change fuel filter. fpr could still be going bad.

Irish_alley
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.15

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1986 GMC Sierra
1994 Chevrolet Silverado
1984 GMC Sierra
1979 Chevrolet Silverado
1991 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:28 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

just been a fuel pump problem from getting hot then shutting off till it cooled down. it being week could of caused the engine to hesitate which you interrupted as the transmission hesitating. have you ran the car for a long time since it acted up? loli guess its just what top wrote also. but about the codes i know on obd1 even with the cel light off they still store codes. i would get it tested just for s**t and grins. cant remember right off hand but i know my 94 the cel will come one with they key on and engine not running but as soon as you start it up all is good

Sorry if i'm an a**hole, but i tend to speak whats on my mind and the truth as i see it.. May not be right but it seamed right.
Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 2.3

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:12 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Change out your fuel filter: it's a cheap place to start and if you haven't changed it yet, you're already overdue.

Check engine lights produce diagnostic codes which are stored in the car's computer, even after the light goes off. Your auto parts place doesn't want your business if they're not willing to pull codes for you.

Transmission will shift funny if you have fuel delivery problems: pump, filter, fpr.

Not sure why your fuel pump would not prime and then would prime the next time. I doubt it has anything to do with disconnecting and reconnecting the fuel line at the filter, though.

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
billy101
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.65

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:18 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Lingenfelter wrote:

Not sure why your fuel pump would not prime and then would prime the next time. I doubt it has anything to do with disconnecting and reconnecting the fuel line at the filter, though.

Possible relay going bad?

kundog

Posts per day: 0.01

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:45 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

If the SES came on, there should be a history code. Not sure if all scanners are created equally though. My Matco does history codes, but unsure if my if my OTC does (never tried it).
edd70805
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:24 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Thanks guys i appreciate the help. I had a buddy come over and look at it. He said it was the fuel pump. We changed the fuel filter and pump and the problem went away. Starts fine now. I also had to change the throttle position sensor again. This is the 3rd one inside of 3-4 months. Can anyone tell me what causes them to go bad? Or is it possibly from maybe the fuel pump going out?
Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:50 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I haven't heard of TPS going bad that quickly or that often. Are you using any cleaners in your engine bay, or do you use oiled air filters? Maybe something like that is fouling your sensor. Question

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
edd70805
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:39 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

im not using stock air filter or box, using cai. but other than that no cleaners or anything
Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:43 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

edd70805 wrote:
im not using stock air filter or box, using cai. but other than that no cleaners or anything

Have you washed and re-oiled your CAI filter? Over-oiling is very easy to do and a classic cause of sensor failure.

edd70805
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:48 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Lingenfelter wrote:
edd70805 wrote:

Have you washed and re-oiled your CAI filter? Over-oiling is very easy to do and a classic cause of sensor failure.

Yes so that possibly could be the reason for them going bad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: