NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Which coolant?
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Which coolant?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
topgun
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.27

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:21 am    Post subject:  Which coolant? Reply with quote

I know, its like beating a . . . , so anyway at the local wallyworld and checking antifreeze. Between GM Dexcool, Prestone A/F and Tech Brand A/F, checking the ingredients, all three have identical ingredients, word for word. So why should I buy the $14 stuff and not the $9 stuff? All say can be used with ANY exsisting coolant.
Thank you for your input. Cool

topgun
Resident
Resident

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:18 pm    Post subject:  Which coolant? Reply with quote

Hello . . .anybody got anything on this? Cool

Fearless2005
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.07

2009 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:29 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Hey sorry for not responding quick. Use the GREEN coolant. The dexcool has been known to cause problems(head gasket among other problems.) Flush out the whole block and radiator and use the green coolant with bars leak.
whitelightnin04MC
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 1.59

2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2009 Subaru Impreza

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:52 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Well, you can't use the green coolant unless you are absolutely sure you flush out all of the dexcool. When the green coolant mixes with dexcool, it sludges. If it was my car, and it had dexcool in it and I was looking to change, I would go with the Prestone.

FWIW, I've had dexcool in my 3400 for over 110k miles. It's only been fully flushed once at around 100k.

Resident Prick, at your service.
SS - Corsa Catback, RT 3" DP, CC T304 PLOG, Wizaired, ZZP Offset Polys, GMPP Koni Kit, Hella Projectrofits, PT, ZZP HVTB, 10.4's
Fearless2005
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2009 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:02 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Yea I think the head gasket problems are from air bubbles in the engine vs the coolant itself. I personally hear mixed opinions on the dexcool but since I have a old GTO and a old truck, I just use green coolant on all lol
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.61

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:17 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Fearless2005 wrote:
Yea I think the head gasket problems are from air bubbles in the engine vs the coolant itself. I personally hear mixed opinions on the dexcool but since I have a old GTO and a old truck, I just use green coolant on all lol

Dexcool never was the problem with these engines. The issue was a cheap nylon gasket that has a tendency to ruin itself in short order...

I use the ready mixed Prestone Dexcool in my cars (mostly because I'm too lazy to mix up my own).

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
topgun
Resident
Resident

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:15 pm    Post subject:  Which coolant? Reply with quote

Thanks all, interesting.
Hey Whitelightnin04MC, You say to get all the dexcool out before using the green stuff. The SuperTech A/Ffrom Walmart has identical ingredients as the GM Dexcool from Walmart, and both say they are compatible with all types of AF. So with this info I would not have to flush every last drop out of my car before using new cheap stuff (supertech) which is a lime kinda green.
Although, I would try and get as much of the old stuff as possible, out.
I'm not really trying to be cheap here,just trying to figure out the best stuff to use, if I can save $5 a gallon I will go for that. See my first post on this. Cool

bbengineer
NAIOA Owner / Webmaster
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

Posts per day: 2.1

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Chevrolet Corvette
2007 Chevrolet Tahoe
2008 Subaru Impreza
1970 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:22 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Current Gen DexCool is the same Ethylene Glycol as the old 'green' stuff (and most current mixes as well, however, it has the Silicates removed as they will eat the aluminum in the motor

Older (not sure when) DexCool had a complete different chemistry known as organic acid technology (OAT). This older formula caused alot of the issues when there were leaks in the cooling system or the system was run w/ low coolant.

If you have the older style DexCool in the system flush as much out as possible to avoid the sludge issue. If you have newer DexCool, you can mix it with other universal coolants and you will be fine

BBEngineer

Decisions...Decisions...
topgun
Resident
Resident

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:28 pm    Post subject:  Which coolant? Reply with quote

Thanks BBE.
I will flush as much as i can from radiator, core, block etc, how can I tell if I have the OAT stuff and do i even need to know? My coolant is a rust color and not very pleasing to the eye. That's why I want to do a flush and get ready for winter, new stat as well. Cool

Mykillmo

Posts per day: 0.01

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:06 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

What's the best way to flush the entire system? While ZZP had my car they sent me a picture of the sludge build up. I couldnt beieve how bad it was. They flushed it for me but suggested I have it flushed again.
Fearless2005
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2009 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:52 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Mykillmo wrote:
What's the best way to flush the entire system? While ZZP had my car they sent me a picture of the sludge build up. I couldnt beieve how bad it was. They flushed it for me but suggested I have it flushed again.

Personally I just added water in the radiator and drove it for a few miles then flushed it out. I did this 5 times and it was all clean. I think you can buy some sort of cleaners at auto part stores.
Frank
Master Level
Master Level
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 0.78

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:41 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

FWIW, GM says not to use any of the chemical flush products - just distilled water. I have good water so I just use tap water in the cooling system.

Fearless2005
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2009 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:34 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Frank wrote:
FWIW, GM says not to use any of the chemical flush products - just distilled water. I have good water so I just use tap water in the cooling system.

Thank you for correcting me Frank
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: