NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account
 

  
NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Loose CV Axle bolt??
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Loose CV Axle bolt??

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
billy101
Member Level
Member Level


Joined: Sep 12, 2010
Posts: 1704
Posts per day: 0.66
Location: Willow Spring, NC

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu


PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:23 am    Post subject:  Loose CV Axle bolt?? Reply with quote

hey, had my car up on the lift in my garage today and checked both front wheels for tie rod and wheel bearing play. BOTH front wheels shook like crazy, only when shook at the 12 and 6 position. Looked from behind and it was moving the CV Axle with it....me and my dad were dumbfounded. We then hooked up the impact gun with a socket large enough to fit over the axle bolt and tightened it up like crazy. Both wheels do not wiggle at all now. Weird? has anyone had this happen to their impalas before?

_________________
2002 Impala LS 3.8 -121,749 miles 11/13/2011
2001 Impala LS 3.8 - 118,510 miles. 9/2/2011. RIP - 11/12/2011
2010 Malibu LTZ 3.6 - 16,014miles. 8/20/2011.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gdoggy
Resident
Resident


Joined: Oct 25, 2007
Posts: 531
Posts per day: 0.15


2009 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:28 am    Post subject:  Re: Loose CV Axle bolt?? Reply with quote

I guess it's plausible that the axle nuts were just loose, but I'm sure your hub bearings suffered during the time your half-shafts were able to move freely. Tightening them may just be a bandaid for now.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
billy101
Member Level
Member Level


Joined: Sep 12, 2010
Posts: 1704
Posts per day: 0.66
Location: Willow Spring, NC

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu


PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:33 am    Post subject:  Re: Loose CV Axle bolt?? Reply with quote

gdoggy wrote:
I guess it's plausible that the axle nuts were just loose, but I'm sure your hub bearings suffered during the time your half-shafts were able to move freely. Tightening them may just be a bandaid for now.


Yeah, that was a thought too because we JUST replaced both front wheel bearings last year. If those go next I'm gonna be pissed.

_________________
2002 Impala LS 3.8 -121,749 miles 11/13/2011
2001 Impala LS 3.8 - 118,510 miles. 9/2/2011. RIP - 11/12/2011
2010 Malibu LTZ 3.6 - 16,014miles. 8/20/2011.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor


Joined: May 19, 2007
Posts: 13731
Posts per day: 3.64
Location: Nashville, TN

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu


PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:18 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Did you use a torque wrench hit put the nuts back on? It's critical to hit the spec on those or you can have serious issues.

_________________
helldorado wrote:
GLWTGFY. Big Thumbs Up

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.


d
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MISHNAH
Master Level
Master Level


Joined: Mar 08, 2004
Posts: 3158
Posts per day: 0.64
Location: Baton Rouge, LA/Houston, TX GEAUX TIGERS!!!

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Mercedes-Benz E Class
2006 Nissan Murano
2003 BMW 5 Series


PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:07 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The axle shouldnt have much to do with your wheel being loose, thats mostly a hub and ball joint related problem. Confused I could be wrong, but I dont think the axle holds the hub pressed together, just kinda sits there.

_________________
2002 Galaxy Silver Sedan - LS cluster - Debadged - Intrigue compass/autodim mirror - DIC - Regal graphite leather seats - LS console with floor shift conversion - Monte Carlo black leather steering wheel - LS springs - KYB GR-2 Struts - GMPP sway bars and rear STB - Fog light frontend harness - LS Bumper with fog lights - Painted trim and side skirts

2006 Nissan Murano - Autodim/compass mirror
2006 Mercedez-Benz E350 - Stock for stock, its faster than an SS, woot!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
whitelightnin04MC
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor


Joined: Nov 05, 2006
Posts: 6364
Posts per day: 1.6
Location: I got big balls and dey jangle like a lotta keys.

2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2009 Subaru Impreza


PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:50 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

MISHNAH wrote:
The axle shouldnt have much to do with your wheel being loose, thats mostly a hub and ball joint related problem. Confused I could be wrong, but I dont think the axle holds the hub pressed together, just kinda sits there.


Right. And the bearing shouldn't have been too stressed considering they are splined into the hub. Being a little loose shouldn't hurt the hub too bad.

_________________
Proud Helldorado Nut Hugger

Resident Prick, at your service.
SS - Corsa Catback, RT 3" DP, CC T304 PLOG, Wizaired, ZZP Offset Polys, GMPP Koni Kit, Hella Projectrofits, PT, ZZP HVTB, 10.4's
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
billy101
Member Level
Member Level


Joined: Sep 12, 2010
Posts: 1704
Posts per day: 0.66
Location: Willow Spring, NC

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu


PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:51 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

whitelightnin04MC wrote:
MISHNAH wrote:
The axle shouldnt have much to do with your wheel being loose, thats mostly a hub and ball joint related problem. Confused I could be wrong, but I dont think the axle holds the hub pressed together, just kinda sits there.


Right. And the bearing shouldn't have been too stressed considering they are splined into the hub. Being a little loose shouldn't hurt the hub too bad.


Hm, well the huge bolt in the dead center, we tightened that one up and now the wheel isn't loose anymore. When we wiggled the wheel you could see the CV Boot on the back move with the wheel.....?

_________________
2002 Impala LS 3.8 -121,749 miles 11/13/2011
2001 Impala LS 3.8 - 118,510 miles. 9/2/2011. RIP - 11/12/2011
2010 Malibu LTZ 3.6 - 16,014miles. 8/20/2011.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
whitelightnin04MC
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor


Joined: Nov 05, 2006
Posts: 6364
Posts per day: 1.6
Location: I got big balls and dey jangle like a lotta keys.

2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2009 Subaru Impreza


PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:11 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

billy101 wrote:
whitelightnin04MC wrote:
MISHNAH wrote:
The axle shouldnt have much to do with your wheel being loose, thats mostly a hub and ball joint related problem. Confused I could be wrong, but I dont think the axle holds the hub pressed together, just kinda sits there.


Right. And the bearing shouldn't have been too stressed considering they are splined into the hub. Being a little loose shouldn't hurt the hub too bad.


Hm, well the huge bolt in the dead center, we tightened that one up and now the wheel isn't loose anymore. When we wiggled the wheel you could see the CV Boot on the back move with the wheel.....?


Right, but the nut was still on. The splines should keep it from wobbling too much unless the bolt was so far off that the splines weren't engaged. I doubt your bearing is messed up. If anything, the splines might get a little messed up if they weren't engaged.

_________________
Proud Helldorado Nut Hugger

Resident Prick, at your service.
SS - Corsa Catback, RT 3" DP, CC T304 PLOG, Wizaired, ZZP Offset Polys, GMPP Koni Kit, Hella Projectrofits, PT, ZZP HVTB, 10.4's
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
billy101
Member Level
Member Level


Joined: Sep 12, 2010
Posts: 1704
Posts per day: 0.66
Location: Willow Spring, NC

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu


PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:35 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

whitelightnin04MC wrote:
billy101 wrote:
whitelightnin04MC wrote:
MISHNAH wrote:
The axle shouldnt have much to do with your wheel being loose, thats mostly a hub and ball joint related problem. Confused I could be wrong, but I dont think the axle holds the hub pressed together, just kinda sits there.


Right. And the bearing shouldn't have been too stressed considering they are splined into the hub. Being a little loose shouldn't hurt the hub too bad.


Hm, well the huge bolt in the dead center, we tightened that one up and now the wheel isn't loose anymore. When we wiggled the wheel you could see the CV Boot on the back move with the wheel.....?


Right, but the nut was still on. The splines should keep it from wobbling too much unless the bolt was so far off that the splines weren't engaged. I doubt your bearing is messed up. If anything, the splines might get a little messed up if they weren't engaged.


Okay...I'll keep an eye on it. Should I be worried about anything though?

_________________
2002 Impala LS 3.8 -121,749 miles 11/13/2011
2001 Impala LS 3.8 - 118,510 miles. 9/2/2011. RIP - 11/12/2011
2010 Malibu LTZ 3.6 - 16,014miles. 8/20/2011.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
Forums ©
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. Comments and posts are property of the poster. All other content is © 2008 by the NAIOA.


Use of this site constitutes agreement with the NAIOA Terms of Service (TOS)


PHP-Nuke Copyright © 2005 by Francisco Burzi. This is free software, and you may redistribute it under the GPL. PHP-Nuke comes with absolutely no warranty, for details, see the license.
Server Local Time: September 19, 2017, 1:52:30 pm
Page Generation: 0.12 Seconds ( SQL 33:129 in 0.01 Seconds )