NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Switching from LT to SS?
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Switching from LT to SS?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Almost Anything Goes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ImpalaJoe83
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.1

2007 Chevrolet Impala
2013 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:23 pm    Post subject:  Switching from LT to SS? Reply with quote

A while back I was thinking of getting a G8 GXP or a new Charger R/T. Well, I was *literally* sitting down to sign the paperwork on the Charger when I got a call from my bank telling me I was preapproved for a mortgage so that's kinda thrown a wrench in my new car plans.

My Impala LT is paid off in full now, and I could probably get $10k at a push selling it privately. I'd be happy sticking with it for the next few years TBH, a house will definitely take up the majority of my time, but it got me thinking too - I could upgrade to an SS!

Looking at some local listings, I could probably pick one up with comparable miles to mine for $9-10k (80-90k). I know a lot of you have had transmission issues though, so do you think it would be wise to invest in something that only has a little warranty left on it?

My reasons for upgrading are simple - I'd like a little more power & torque, and heated leather would be great going into the fall.

Thanks!
habermehl
Member Level
Member Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.53

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2007 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:28 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

As long as you break even or make a little why not i would do it in a heart beat!

billy101 wrote:
Conner wrote:
how do the dealer's expect us to get the cars there if they don 't run at all?

Tow Truck?
gdoggy
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.15

2009 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:40 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I'm extremely pleased with my SS. I say go for it.
TSS
Member Level
Member Level
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 0.56

2010 Lincoln MKS
2014 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:42 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Yeah, why not? Just get an 07+ so you have a little tranny warrantee left.

2010 Buick Enclave CXL - bone stock;
2010 Lincoln MKS Ecoboost - V6 AWD Twin Turbo; Livernois Motorsports Tuned, 0 to 60 in 3.90 seconds;
2014 Impala Limited LTZ
2009 Impala SS (SOLD)
madbrad
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.44

2007 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:43 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I bet that made the Dodge salesman happy.

americanmade92
Dedicated
Dedicated

Posts per day: 0.17

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:38 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I'm happy with my SS also. I say go for it

Albert2kls
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.13

2000 Chevrolet Impala
1975 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:34 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

One thing to remember that the 100K warranty applies to the original owner only and the 2nd gets 60K for the powertrain, if I am not mistaken. If you do get the SS then buy an aftermarket warranty from a good company and then dont worry about it. Another option is to mod yours...

Someone always needs the parts you send to the junkyard..
!!! Be a Organ Donor !!!
gdoggy
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.15

2009 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:51 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Albert2kls wrote:
One thing to remember that the 100K warranty applies to the original owner only and the 2nd gets 60K for the powertrain

That's not true.

From GM's Website:

"All GM cars and light duty trucks are covered. The Powertrain Limited Warranty is 100,000 miles or 5 years (whichever comes first, see dealer for details). It is fully transferable and there are no fees and no deductibles. In addition, the Roadside Assistance and Courtesy Transportation programs are also 100,000 miles or 5 years (whichever comes first). "
Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 2.34

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:36 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Not sure how you intend to sell your 2007 LT and buy a 2007 SS with similar miles for the same price, unless you are a helluva haggler.

Even if you could swing that, why take on the risk of an vehicle of unknown quality when you are anticipating the purchase of a home and all the expenses that come along with it?

Surely your fuel bill would increase, and if you're not in ownership of a property right now, then you also have to add property and maybe mortgage insurance, as well as the mortgage payments themselves, etc etc.

If you're expecting to buy a house soon, I would say do that first, while you have a vehicle you already trust. Once you're in the house and have your bills sorted out and under control, then go for a new vehicle.

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
billy101
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.66

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:57 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Lingenfelter wrote:
Not sure how you intend to sell your 2007 LT and buy a 2007 SS with similar miles for the same price, unless you are a helluva haggler.

Even if you could swing that, why take on the risk of an vehicle of unknown quality when you are anticipating the purchase of a home and all the expenses that come along with it?

Surely your fuel bill would increase, and if you're not in ownership of a property right now, then you also have to add property and maybe mortgage insurance, as well as the mortgage payments themselves, etc etc.

If you're expecting to buy a house soon, I would say do that first, while you have a vehicle you already trust. Once you're in the house and have your bills sorted out and under control, then go for a new vehicle.

x2, simply put.

ImpalaJoe83
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2007 Chevrolet Impala
2013 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:32 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Sound advice y'all. I received a decent amount of inheritance last month (some of which I was putting towards the Charger), so money isn't going to be tight (plus I got a 12% raise at work recently Very Happy ).

I agree that it would probably be best to wait until things with the house are complete, but at the same time it would be lovely to upgrade to a V8, especially as it's not going to cost much (if anything). I think I'm gonna look at a few this weekend and maybe make a purchase. My LT is paid off so I do have the luxury of being able to run two cars in the short term.
billy101
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.66

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:06 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

ImpalaJoe83 wrote:
Sound advice y'all. I received a decent amount of inheritance last month (some of which I was putting towards the Charger), so money isn't going to be tight (plus I got a 12% raise at work recently Very Happy ).

I agree that it would probably be best to wait until things with the house are complete, but at the same time it would be lovely to upgrade to a V8, especially as it's not going to cost much (if anything). I think I'm gonna look at a few this weekend and maybe make a purchase. My LT is paid off so I do have the luxury of being able to run two cars in the short term.

Good luck with the search and make sure you don't make a purchase that will make your living situations uncomfortable. That's never good.

If you do get an SS, PICS!

Albert2kls
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.13

2000 Chevrolet Impala
1975 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:37 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

gdoggy wrote:
Albert2kls wrote:
One thing to remember that the 100K warranty applies to the original owner only and the 2nd gets 60K for the powertrain

That's not true.

From GM's Website:

"All GM cars and light duty trucks are covered. The Powertrain Limited Warranty is 100,000 miles or 5 years (whichever comes first, see dealer for details). It is fully transferable and there are no fees and no deductibles. In addition, the Roadside Assistance and Courtesy Transportation programs are also 100,000 miles or 5 years (whichever comes first). "

Wow, I didn't know that, that's great.

Mabe look into a caprice or a G8, in my opinion its much better then a charger. I'm not sure if the caprice is for sale to the public?

Someone always needs the parts you send to the junkyard..
!!! Be a Organ Donor !!!
ImpalaJoe83
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2007 Chevrolet Impala
2013 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:10 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Well I may have already found a car! Checked out a 2006 SS just now, 61k miles for $13,000. I have been offered $10,500 for my LT which has 86,000 miles. So, I'm looking at a $2,500 expense to upgrade to a car with more features, a better engine and lower miles Burnout

Downsides to this SS:
- No Bose
- No sunroof
- Cracked bezel around shifter
- Cigarette burn in headliner
- Needs a full detail inside
- Few scratches on the exterior
- Two wheels have minor curb rash.
- EDIT: it also has the notorious 'peeling pillars' (which mine doesn't have). I guess I could switch them over?

However, it has a 90 score on the Carfax and has been in no accidents. The V8 makes all the difference in this car and definitely turns it from dull DD to a fun cruiser!

So my only question is this - should I buy? I was soooo close to starting the paperwork tonight but really value your input. I didn't want to pay more than the value of my LT, but I think exceptions should be made in certain cases Dance

Last edited by ImpalaJoe83 on Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.64

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:11 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Do you have money for a new transmission? If not, I'd advise passing on it...

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Almost Anything Goes All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: