NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account
 

  
NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Could this be my drop in MPG?
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Could this be my drop in MPG?

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
amoffitt
Member Level
Member Level


Joined: Oct 09, 2007
Posts: 1770
Posts per day: 0.49
Location: Tyler TX

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2003 Infiniti G35
2007 BMW 3 Series
2009 Mercedes-Benz C Class


PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:40 pm    Post subject:  Could this be my drop in MPG? Reply with quote

Here lately ive been checking out things on the car to see where i was losing MPG. Today I decided to clean the air filter. I dont remember how long ago it was since ive done it so i decided to do it. The water turned out pretty dirty. Any idea on how much if any fuel economy i'd lose with a dirty air filter? Here is a pic of how dirty the water actually is.


_________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PCLugUV33M


Vehicles:
2003 Chevy Impala- Current, 2003 Infiniti G35 Coupe- Sold, 2007 Yamaha R6s- Sold, 2007 BMW 335i- Current, 2008 Yamaha R1- Current
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
whitelightnin04MC
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor


Joined: Nov 05, 2006
Posts: 6364
Posts per day: 1.6
Location: I got big balls and dey jangle like a lotta keys.

2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2009 Subaru Impreza


PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:49 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I thought you got worse fuel economy with a clean filter. More cold air = more fuel.

_________________
Proud Helldorado Nut Hugger

Resident Prick, at your service.
SS - Corsa Catback, RT 3" DP, CC T304 PLOG, Wizaired, ZZP Offset Polys, GMPP Koni Kit, Hella Projectrofits, PT, ZZP HVTB, 10.4's
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
amoffitt
Member Level
Member Level


Joined: Oct 09, 2007
Posts: 1770
Posts per day: 0.49
Location: Tyler TX

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2003 Infiniti G35
2007 BMW 3 Series
2009 Mercedes-Benz C Class


PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:51 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

whitelightnin04MC wrote:
I thought you got worse fuel economy with a clean filter. More cold air = more fuel.


Im not sure about the clean vs dirty ive heard both sides on that one.. I know cold air has greater density in turn causing the need for more fuel

_________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PCLugUV33M


Vehicles:
2003 Chevy Impala- Current, 2003 Infiniti G35 Coupe- Sold, 2007 Yamaha R6s- Sold, 2007 BMW 335i- Current, 2008 Yamaha R1- Current
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor


Joined: May 19, 2007
Posts: 13731
Posts per day: 3.63
Location: Nashville, TN

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu


PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:21 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure the PCM does a decent job of compensating for restricted airflow due to a dirty filter. I've personally never seen any appreciable change in fuel economy in a W-body after changing my filter.

_________________
helldorado wrote:
GLWTGFY. Big Thumbs Up

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.


d
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
amoffitt
Member Level
Member Level


Joined: Oct 09, 2007
Posts: 1770
Posts per day: 0.49
Location: Tyler TX

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2003 Infiniti G35
2007 BMW 3 Series
2009 Mercedes-Benz C Class


PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:42 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

IffyG wrote:
I'm pretty sure the PCM does a decent job of compensating for restricted airflow due to a dirty filter. I've personally never seen any appreciable change in fuel economy in a W-body after changing my filter.


Hmm, I looked it over closely after i pulled it out and noticed some sand particles on the outside. The water was clear before i started cleaning it and once i applied the cleaner to the filter it became real dirty. I also pulled out the MAF and cleaned that as well. Im going to let both dry overnight then install them back in the car in the morning. I'll go from there try to improve my MPG

_________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PCLugUV33M


Vehicles:
2003 Chevy Impala- Current, 2003 Infiniti G35 Coupe- Sold, 2007 Yamaha R6s- Sold, 2007 BMW 335i- Current, 2008 Yamaha R1- Current
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Albert2kls
Forum Regular
Forum Regular


Joined: Jul 23, 2011
Posts: 299
Posts per day: 0.13
Location: Treasure Coast, FL

2000 Chevrolet Impala
1975 Pontiac Trans Am


PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:12 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Heres my 2 Cents ... In all the cars I have used K&N filters in I have got decent MPGs, If I remember correctly the K&N works better when dirty,, I think they say to cleant it every 50K. Not sure on the filter you have. I know when the filter is really dirty and air flow is very restricted the engine performance suffers, and when the engine suffers so do the MPGs. Anytime you increase the effiency of air flow in and out you will get better MPGs. So basicly if your filter is extreamly dirty your MPGs will decrease. I dont think yours was that bad to cost you milage because its aftermarket and they can holld much more dirt then the stock paper filters.

_________________
Albert

Someone always needs the parts you send to the junkyard..
!!! Be a Organ Donor !!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
whitelightnin04MC
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor


Joined: Nov 05, 2006
Posts: 6364
Posts per day: 1.6
Location: I got big balls and dey jangle like a lotta keys.

2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2009 Subaru Impreza


PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:51 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Albert2kls wrote:
Heres my 2 Cents ... In all the cars I have used K&N filters in I have got decent MPGs, If I remember correctly the K&N works better when dirty,, I think they say to cleant it every 50K. Not sure on the filter you have. I know when the filter is really dirty and air flow is very restricted the engine performance suffers, and when the engine suffers so do the MPGs. Anytime you increase the effiency of air flow in and out you will get better MPGs. So basicly if your filter is extreamly dirty your MPGs will decrease. I dont think yours was that bad to cost you milage because its aftermarket and they can holld much more dirt then the stock paper filters.


You don't get better gas mileage from improved air flow. More air equals more O2 which requires more fuel for proper combustion. What you may see is a lean condition from the increased airflow. In that situation, your gas mileage gets worse because the PCM adds more fuel to compensate for the leaned out fuel trims.

_________________
Proud Helldorado Nut Hugger

Resident Prick, at your service.
SS - Corsa Catback, RT 3" DP, CC T304 PLOG, Wizaired, ZZP Offset Polys, GMPP Koni Kit, Hella Projectrofits, PT, ZZP HVTB, 10.4's
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Albert2kls
Forum Regular
Forum Regular


Joined: Jul 23, 2011
Posts: 299
Posts per day: 0.13
Location: Treasure Coast, FL

2000 Chevrolet Impala
1975 Pontiac Trans Am


PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:57 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

whitelightnin04MC wrote:
Albert2kls wrote:
Heres my 2 Cents ... In all the cars I have used K&N filters in I have got decent MPGs, If I remember correctly the K&N works better when dirty,, I think they say to cleant it every 50K. Not sure on the filter you have. I know when the filter is really dirty and air flow is very restricted the engine performance suffers, and when the engine suffers so do the MPGs. Anytime you increase the effiency of air flow in and out you will get better MPGs. So basicly if your filter is extreamly dirty your MPGs will decrease. I dont think yours was that bad to cost you milage because its aftermarket and they can holld much more dirt then the stock paper filters.


You don't get better gas mileage from improved air flow. More air equals more O2 which requires more fuel for proper combustion. What you may see is a lean condition from the increased airflow. In that situation, your gas mileage gets worse because the PCM adds more fuel to compensate for the leaned out fuel trims.


Ok correct me if Im wrong, The more efficient you make the engine the better the MPGs, I was mistaken on the airflow, I meant to say as far as stock not on a modded setup. You can increase MPG by lightening the car and/or increasing the efficiency of the air and fuel flow in and out of the engine right? So if the air filter is clogged it would decrease the effiency of air getting in and costing mpgs.. Even though I dont think thats the case in this car but in general.

_________________
Albert

Someone always needs the parts you send to the junkyard..
!!! Be a Organ Donor !!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
VictoryRed09
Forum Regular
Forum Regular


Joined: Jul 06, 2010
Posts: 263
Posts per day: 0.1


2009 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:12 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

whitelightnin04MC wrote:
I thought you got worse fuel economy with a clean filter. More cold air = more fuel.


A Gasoline engine is designed to run best with a Air to Fuel Ratio at around 14.6 parts air to 1 part fuel for the best burn rate. So, Yes the computer will try to compensate for more air by adding more fuel. But that converts into more power per combustion cycle. which equals more power per engine revolution. You then can back off the go pedal, to attain a given speed in day to day driving.
On the other hand, a dirty filter means less air and fuel, so you have to lean on the gas pedal harder to get the same power per rev to attain the given driving speed.

On old cars with Carbs, a dirty filter caused a huge drop in MPG because there was no way to compensate Air to fuel automatically. With todays computer controlled fuel injection systems, they do a better job of automatic compensation ... but the computer can not totally make up for a plugged filter. So in real life, a dirty filter will reduce MPG.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor


Joined: Oct 21, 2006
Posts: 9331
Posts per day: 2.34
Location: Ontario, Canada

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo


PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:56 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I'm of the thought process that while a cleaner filter will bring in more air, you have to consider what was said in the comment above. Provided you keep your foot out of the throttle, you would be spending less time at the higher RPMS that chew up fuel.

Of course, the majority of people don't put a CAI/FWI/performance filter on for the sake of fuel economy, they do it for power. So any potential gain in milage from less time accelerating and at lower RPMs is probably quickly erased by heavy right foot syndrome.

_________________
uıɐƃɐ ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ƃuıʎnq ɹǝʌǝu ɯɐ ı

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Albert2kls
Forum Regular
Forum Regular


Joined: Jul 23, 2011
Posts: 299
Posts per day: 0.13
Location: Treasure Coast, FL

2000 Chevrolet Impala
1975 Pontiac Trans Am


PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:03 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Well I plan on doing for the mpg, the added power is a welcomed by product.

_________________
Albert

Someone always needs the parts you send to the junkyard..
!!! Be a Organ Donor !!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
grimsin
Member Level
Member Level


Joined: Oct 27, 2009
Posts: 1179
Posts per day: 0.41
Location: Port Stanley ON

2005 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:20 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I dont know about dirty filter vs clean filter, but i have a warm air inake setup for mpg in the winter, and i have a cold air intake(FWI) For lil more juice in summer, colder air does make you use more fuel which is why mpg suck in the winter.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor


Joined: Oct 21, 2006
Posts: 9331
Posts per day: 2.34
Location: Ontario, Canada

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo


PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:08 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

grimsin wrote:
I dont know about dirty filter vs clean filter, but i have a warm air inake setup for mpg in the winter, and i have a cold air intake(FWI) For lil more juice in summer, colder air does make you use more fuel which is why mpg suck in the winter.


Winter fuel mixes are different as well, which decreases milage, along with idling your car or defrosting the windshield before you go anywhere, traffic slow-down or idling due to accidents and road conditions, etc...

_________________
uıɐƃɐ ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ƃuıʎnq ɹǝʌǝu ɯɐ ı

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
Forums ©
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. Comments and posts are property of the poster. All other content is © 2008 by the NAIOA.


Use of this site constitutes agreement with the NAIOA Terms of Service (TOS)


PHP-Nuke Copyright © 2005 by Francisco Burzi. This is free software, and you may redistribute it under the GPL. PHP-Nuke comes with absolutely no warranty, for details, see the license.
Server Local Time: September 21, 2017, 11:18:52 pm
Page Generation: 0.12 Seconds ( SQL 41:146 in 0.01 Seconds )