NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Could this be my drop in MPG?
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Could this be my drop in MPG?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amoffitt
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.49

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2003 Infiniti G35
2007 BMW 3 Series
2009 Mercedes-Benz C Class

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:40 pm    Post subject:  Could this be my drop in MPG? Reply with quote

Here lately ive been checking out things on the car to see where i was losing MPG. Today I decided to clean the air filter. I dont remember how long ago it was since ive done it so i decided to do it. The water turned out pretty dirty. Any idea on how much if any fuel economy i'd lose with a dirty air filter? Here is a pic of how dirty the water actually is.

Vehicles:
2003 Chevy Impala- Current, 2003 Infiniti G35 Coupe- Sold, 2007 Yamaha R6s- Sold, 2007 BMW 335i- Current, 2008 Yamaha R1- Current
whitelightnin04MC
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 1.6

2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2009 Subaru Impreza

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:49 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I thought you got worse fuel economy with a clean filter. More cold air = more fuel.

Resident Prick, at your service.
SS - Corsa Catback, RT 3" DP, CC T304 PLOG, Wizaired, ZZP Offset Polys, GMPP Koni Kit, Hella Projectrofits, PT, ZZP HVTB, 10.4's
amoffitt
Member Level
Member Level

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2003 Infiniti G35
2007 BMW 3 Series

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:51 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

whitelightnin04MC wrote:
I thought you got worse fuel economy with a clean filter. More cold air = more fuel.

Im not sure about the clean vs dirty ive heard both sides on that one.. I know cold air has greater density in turn causing the need for more fuel

Vehicles:
2003 Chevy Impala- Current, 2003 Infiniti G35 Coupe- Sold, 2007 Yamaha R6s- Sold, 2007 BMW 335i- Current, 2008 Yamaha R1- Current
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.63

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:21 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure the PCM does a decent job of compensating for restricted airflow due to a dirty filter. I've personally never seen any appreciable change in fuel economy in a W-body after changing my filter.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
amoffitt
Member Level
Member Level

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2003 Infiniti G35
2007 BMW 3 Series

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:42 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

IffyG wrote:
I'm pretty sure the PCM does a decent job of compensating for restricted airflow due to a dirty filter. I've personally never seen any appreciable change in fuel economy in a W-body after changing my filter.

Hmm, I looked it over closely after i pulled it out and noticed some sand particles on the outside. The water was clear before i started cleaning it and once i applied the cleaner to the filter it became real dirty. I also pulled out the MAF and cleaned that as well. Im going to let both dry overnight then install them back in the car in the morning. I'll go from there try to improve my MPG

Vehicles:
Albert2kls
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.13

2000 Chevrolet Impala
1975 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:12 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Heres my 2 Cents ... In all the cars I have used K&N filters in I have got decent MPGs, If I remember correctly the K&N works better when dirty,, I think they say to cleant it every 50K. Not sure on the filter you have. I know when the filter is really dirty and air flow is very restricted the engine performance suffers, and when the engine suffers so do the MPGs. Anytime you increase the effiency of air flow in and out you will get better MPGs. So basicly if your filter is extreamly dirty your MPGs will decrease. I dont think yours was that bad to cost you milage because its aftermarket and they can holld much more dirt then the stock paper filters.

Someone always needs the parts you send to the junkyard..
!!! Be a Organ Donor !!!
whitelightnin04MC
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 1.6

2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2009 Subaru Impreza

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:51 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Albert2kls wrote:
Heres my 2 Cents ... In all the cars I have used K&N filters in I have got decent MPGs, If I remember correctly the K&N works better when dirty,, I think they say to cleant it every 50K. Not sure on the filter you have. I know when the filter is really dirty and air flow is very restricted the engine performance suffers, and when the engine suffers so do the MPGs. Anytime you increase the effiency of air flow in and out you will get better MPGs. So basicly if your filter is extreamly dirty your MPGs will decrease. I dont think yours was that bad to cost you milage because its aftermarket and they can holld much more dirt then the stock paper filters.

You don't get better gas mileage from improved air flow. More air equals more O2 which requires more fuel for proper combustion. What you may see is a lean condition from the increased airflow. In that situation, your gas mileage gets worse because the PCM adds more fuel to compensate for the leaned out fuel trims.

Resident Prick, at your service.
SS - Corsa Catback, RT 3" DP, CC T304 PLOG, Wizaired, ZZP Offset Polys, GMPP Koni Kit, Hella Projectrofits, PT, ZZP HVTB, 10.4's
Albert2kls
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2000 Chevrolet Impala
1975 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:57 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

whitelightnin04MC wrote:
Albert2kls wrote:

You don't get better gas mileage from improved air flow. More air equals more O2 which requires more fuel for proper combustion. What you may see is a lean condition from the increased airflow. In that situation, your gas mileage gets worse because the PCM adds more fuel to compensate for the leaned out fuel trims.

Ok correct me if Im wrong, The more efficient you make the engine the better the MPGs, I was mistaken on the airflow, I meant to say as far as stock not on a modded setup. You can increase MPG by lightening the car and/or increasing the efficiency of the air and fuel flow in and out of the engine right? So if the air filter is clogged it would decrease the effiency of air getting in and costing mpgs.. Even though I dont think thats the case in this car but in general.

!!! Be a Organ Donor !!!
VictoryRed09
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.1

2009 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:12 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

whitelightnin04MC wrote:

A Gasoline engine is designed to run best with a Air to Fuel Ratio at around 14.6 parts air to 1 part fuel for the best burn rate. So, Yes the computer will try to compensate for more air by adding more fuel. But that converts into more power per combustion cycle. which equals more power per engine revolution. You then can back off the go pedal, to attain a given speed in day to day driving.
On the other hand, a dirty filter means less air and fuel, so you have to lean on the gas pedal harder to get the same power per rev to attain the given driving speed.

On old cars with Carbs, a dirty filter caused a huge drop in MPG because there was no way to compensate Air to fuel automatically. With todays computer controlled fuel injection systems, they do a better job of automatic compensation ... but the computer can not totally make up for a plugged filter. So in real life, a dirty filter will reduce MPG.
Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 2.34

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:56 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I'm of the thought process that while a cleaner filter will bring in more air, you have to consider what was said in the comment above. Provided you keep your foot out of the throttle, you would be spending less time at the higher RPMS that chew up fuel.

Of course, the majority of people don't put a CAI/FWI/performance filter on for the sake of fuel economy, they do it for power. So any potential gain in milage from less time accelerating and at lower RPMs is probably quickly erased by heavy right foot syndrome.

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Albert2kls
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2000 Chevrolet Impala
1975 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:03 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Well I plan on doing for the mpg, the added power is a welcomed by product.

!!! Be a Organ Donor !!!
grimsin
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.41

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:20 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I dont know about dirty filter vs clean filter, but i have a warm air inake setup for mpg in the winter, and i have a cold air intake(FWI) For lil more juice in summer, colder air does make you use more fuel which is why mpg suck in the winter.
Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 2.34

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:08 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

grimsin wrote:
I dont know about dirty filter vs clean filter, but i have a warm air inake setup for mpg in the winter, and i have a cold air intake(FWI) For lil more juice in summer, colder air does make you use more fuel which is why mpg suck in the winter.

Winter fuel mixes are different as well, which decreases milage, along with idling your car or defrosting the windshield before you go anywhere, traffic slow-down or idling due to accidents and road conditions, etc...

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: