NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Pissed off - swirl marks
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Pissed off - swirl marks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Interior & Exterior MODs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
impala2k
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.18

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:15 am    Post subject:  Pissed off - swirl marks Reply with quote

Well it was a nice day and there was a good amount of shade. So I decided to wax my car. It's a big car so I have always used a buffer, with no issues, I mean there have always been slight swirls, but today, I applied wax like normal, and it looked good. Until I got about 3 feet away. It looks like hell. Spiderwebs everywhere. I swear I can feel them. Don't know what happened, clean bonnets, non abrasive wax, clean car. Ugh! I am very upset and done with the buffer. I can't believe this has happened. No problems in the past why now? Looks like I am going back to hand waxing. Hopefully the cleaner wax I have can atleast minimize the swirling, I don't know what I am going to do. Sorry for the rant, just needed to vent.

-Matt

Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 1.95

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:33 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Can you make any good photographs of the swirls out of curiosity? My car has swirls as well. Very off putting.

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
billy101
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.65

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:18 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Are you using an orbital buffer? I started using one and wasn't 100% pleased with the results until I used a cutting buffer and compounded and cut the entire car. Got rid of every little blemish out of the clear coat the was possible.

Albert2kls
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.13

2000 Chevrolet Impala
1975 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:03 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Use 3M glazing compound either by hand which is a lot of work or use the buffer. Was it a sandy or dusty area where you did it? I used a high speed buffer on mine and it got rid of all the swirl marks. That 3M compound is great stuff anad will get the marks out and make the paint look real shiney but its not a wax so you will need to wax the car after.

Someone always needs the parts you send to the junkyard..
!!! Be a Organ Donor !!!
billy101
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.65

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:43 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Albert2kls wrote:
Use 3M glazing compound either by hand which is a lot of work or use the buffer. Was it a sandy or dusty area where you did it? I used a high speed buffer on mine and it got rid of all the swirl marks. That 3M compound is great stuff anad will get the marks out and make the paint look real shiney but its not a wax so you will need to wax the car after.

Yeah, when always compounding. Compound - Wash - dry, then wax. Compounding takes a very very thin layer of the damaged clear coat and all waxes and any protectants on the surface so a wax is 100% necessary after compounding.

ZSPOT
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 1.27

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Ford Mustang
1981 Chevrolet Silverado
2007 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:46 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

It's probably not the buffer's fault. Laughing What are you using for wax? Most waxes are just for shine and protection. Won't do much for the pre existing swirls and the grime that is stuck to your old wax. You might need to step it up a notch and use a clay bar, then a cleaner, then sealer/polish and then use your wax. Makes a world of difference.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Interior & Exterior MODs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: