NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - CV Axles
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

CV Axles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission
View previous topic :: View next topic  
billy101
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.65

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:16 am    Post subject:  CV Axles Reply with quote

I'm sure this question has been answered numerous times, but I think one of my CV Axles have gone bad. The passenger side has been leaking grease for awhile ,but the driver side is fine. When just sitting idling in the driveway there is a noticible clicking/creaking noise....Is this the CV Joints, or is it something else? I'm at 117,968 miles on factory CV Joints and EVERYTHING suspension wise. I know the outer tie rod ends need to be replaced soon, could that be the cause?
topgun
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.27

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:00 am    Post subject:  CV axles Reply with quote

CV joints will only make noise (if bad) when the vehicle is moving and usually only when turning, not sitting still.
Noise when sitting, are you sure its not the exhaust or a shield expanding as it heats up. Cool

billy101
Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:30 am    Post subject:  Re: CV axles Reply with quote

topgun wrote:
CV joints will only make noise (if bad) when the vehicle is moving and usually only when turning, not sitting still.
Noise when sitting, are you sure its not the exhaust or a shield expanding as it heats up. Cool

Not the exhaust. Only happens when turning the steering wheel.
Albert2kls
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.13

2000 Chevrolet Impala
1975 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:05 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

May be strut mount, you can listen to what side it is by having someone slowly turn the wheel and listen at the top under the hood or in the wheel well opening. Do not jack the car up, you want to listen to the noise under full weight of the car. As mentioned above the axel makes a clicking sound when bad. If they are not clicking then you can take it to a shop and have new grease and band straps put on to stop the seapage, you might as well put new boots too. I broke one of my axels and they are not that expensive.

Someone always needs the parts you send to the junkyard..
!!! Be a Organ Donor !!!
whitelightnin04MC
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 1.58

2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2009 Subaru Impreza

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:37 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I had a similar problem and it turned out to be the lower engine mount.

Resident Prick, at your service.
SS - Corsa Catback, RT 3" DP, CC T304 PLOG, Wizaired, ZZP Offset Polys, GMPP Koni Kit, Hella Projectrofits, PT, ZZP HVTB, 10.4's
billy101
Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:30 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

whitelightnin04MC wrote:

Hmmm, when you were parked and turned the wheel?
I'm going to try and support the cradle later tonight and make sure the cradle bolts are tight so I get no play from that. I know my inner and outer tie rods are probably shot so those will need to be replaced fairly soon.
whitelightnin04MC
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2009 Subaru Impreza

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:45 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

billy101 wrote:
whitelightnin04MC wrote:

I'm going to try and support the cradle later tonight and make sure the cradle bolts are tight so I get no play from that. I know my inner and outer tie rods are probably shot so those will need to be replaced fairly soon.

Yes, while parked and while turning the wheel there was an audible clicking sound. The lower engine mount was the culprit.

You don't have to support the cradle to tighten the cradle bolts.

SS - Corsa Catback, RT 3" DP, CC T304 PLOG, Wizaired, ZZP Offset Polys, GMPP Koni Kit, Hella Projectrofits, PT, ZZP HVTB, 10.4's
billy101
Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:58 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

whitelightnin04MC wrote:
billy101 wrote:
whitelightnin04MC wrote:

Yes, while parked and while turning the wheel there was an audible clicking sound. The lower engine mount was the culprit.

So how would I go about doing the bolts? I'm talking about the metal subframe that holds the motor and transmission up. I was reading on another thread that you just place two jackstands on each side of the subframe and tighten away. BTW, What size socket will I need for those bolts?
whitelightnin04MC
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2009 Subaru Impreza

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:18 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

billy101 wrote:
whitelightnin04MC wrote:
billy101 wrote:
whitelightnin04MC wrote:

So how would I go about doing the bolts? I'm talking about the metal subframe that holds the motor and transmission up. I was reading on another thread that you just place two jackstands on each side of the subframe and tighten away. BTW, What size socket will I need for those bolts?

If you're just tightening them up, why do you need to support the subframe. You're not taking anything loose. Just jack the car up like usual and tighten the bolts. The socket size should be 18mm.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: