NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - low coolant level light on, coolant is full
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

low coolant level light on, coolant is full

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Problems with my car!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boston2419

Posts per day: 0

2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:44 pm    Post subject:  low coolant level light on, coolant is full Reply with quote

My radiator has just been replaced, and now my low coolant level light is on, although the coolant level is full. Do I need to replace the sensor? Where is it located? And what is the actual name of the sensor? Is there something I can do to determine what the actual cause is (of the light being on with the radiator and overflow filled?) Thanks for your help!
Nick1234
Dedicated
Dedicated

Posts per day: 0.1

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:34 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Replace the sensor

14.446 @ 94.54
MISHNAH
Master Level
Master Level

Posts per day: 0.64

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Mercedes-Benz E Class
2006 Nissan Murano
2003 BMW 5 Series

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:33 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Nick1234 wrote:
Replace the sensor

Or you can just unplug the sensor Laughing

My original sensor was failing, tried a used one that worked a little better, then bought a new one which apparently doesnt work at all and the light was always on. Rolling Eyes Unplugged it and the light went away. Very Happy

The coolant level sensor was deleted in 2003, guess GM was tired of the cost of parts and customer complaints.

2002 Galaxy Silver Sedan - LS cluster - Debadged - Intrigue compass/autodim mirror - DIC - Regal graphite leather seats - LS console with floor shift conversion - Monte Carlo black leather steering wheel - LS springs - KYB GR-2 Struts - GMPP sway bars and rear STB - Fog light frontend harness - LS Bumper with fog lights - Painted trim and side skirts

2006 Nissan Murano - Autodim/compass mirror
2006 Mercedez-Benz E350 - Stock for stock, its faster than an SS, woot!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Albert2kls
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.13

2000 Chevrolet Impala
1975 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:02 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

On my 95 Trans Am I had the same issue, I removed the sensor and cleaned it real well, took 2000 grit wet sandpaper and gave a decent scuffing, made it look new, reinstalled it and topped off the coolant,. Never saw the light again. Had the car about another year after that.

Someone always needs the parts you send to the junkyard..
!!! Be a Organ Donor !!!
chibiblacksheep
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.48

2000 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2007 Chevrolet Impala
1968 Chevrolet Camaro
2013 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:42 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I actually unplugged mine last week because it was annoying me.

I know my levels are fine, and I check all my fluids regularly so I just unplugged it.

Cadet
Cadet

Posts per day: 0.02

2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:08 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I've got the same car as you, same year, and had the same problem. Your intake gaskets are probably leaking. The sensor is on the radiator just below the cap and is probably gunked up with brown sludge - which will make it post the LOW COOLANT message. Pull the plug off the bottom, remove the 1" wide u-shaped clip that snaps/slips on sideways (I think the open end points toward the driver's side). Then twist the sensor clockwise/counterclockwise while pulling on it to pop it out (this can go kind of slow). Inside is just a single brass post sitting in a cylindrical plastic cavity. You'll probably see a bunch of brownish gunk in there. Just wash it all out then stick an awl with a piece of paper towel in there to wipe all around the brass post. Make it nice and clean. You might also want to put a piece of paper towel around your index finger and shove it into the hole where the sensor sits. You'll probably see more brown gunk come out on the paper towel. After cleaning, reinstall the sensor (I partially install the clip on the sensor so that once the sensor is push/twisted all the way back in I just have to nudge the clip a bit to get it to drop/snap into place - but this is tricky because if the clip is too far on you can't push the sensor on properly). Then reconnect the plug underneath and you're done.

The message will go away for about a year, but will return if you've got sludge in your cooling system caused by leaking intake gaskets. I replaced my gaskets and the problem went away (after causing the message to appear one more time due to residual gunk still in the system ... which I flushed out). No problems now for over 3-4 years.

The sensor is probably still good. I did the same thing and replaced the sensor initially only to see the problem come back.
Frank
Master Level
Master Level
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 0.78

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:40 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

If you have a new radiator, they likely did not drill the hole in the radiator where the sensor goes. As not all of the 00-03's have the sensor (and they make one radiator), you have to drill it where the sensor goes in if you want the sensor to be wet so it works.

Pull the sensor out...if coolant gushes out, you have a dirty or bad sensor. If nothing comes out - you need to drill the hole. Smile You should be able to get a drill in that area by pulling the engine brace off and pulling the battery (and possibly the tray) out of the car.

ImpalaPrime
Dedicated
Dedicated

Posts per day: 0.15

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2013 Hyundai Sonata

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:10 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

try a coolent flush, fixed the issue for me, the sensor likes to get caught in the sludge . worked for me.
ColtHero
Cadet
Cadet

Posts per day: 0.02

2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:50 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

[quote="Frank"]If you have a new radiator, they likely did not drill the hole in the radiator where the sensor goes. As not all of the 00-03's have the sensor (and they make one radiator), you have to drill it where the sensor goes in if you want the sensor to be wet so it works.

Pull the sensor out...if coolant gushes out, you have a dirty or bad sensor. If nothing comes out - you need to drill the hole. Smile You should be able to get a drill in that area by pulling the engine brace off and pulling the battery (and possibly the tray) out of the car.[/quote]

Frank - you've got me a little concerned now. I replaced my radiator not too long ago and noticed my radiator (Ready Rad) came with a plastic cover over where the sensor went. I pulled this cover off and inserted the sensor, but didn't drill any holes. I THINK the hole was already there ... but now I'm starting to wonder... I doubt I would've missed that, but maybe I did! Seems to me it wasn't very easy getting that cap off ... might've even had to break it off ... can't quite remember. Should probably pull the sensor to see if it's wet.

Wait a minute ... if it wasn't wet, I'd be seeing the LOW COOLANT message (because I KNOW I connected the plug) , so I must be all right ...
billy101
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.66

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:53 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

ColtHero wrote:
Frank wrote:
If you have a new radiator, they likely did not drill the hole in the radiator where the sensor goes. As not all of the 00-03's have the sensor (and they make one radiator), you have to drill it where the sensor goes in if you want the sensor to be wet so it works.

Pull the sensor out...if coolant gushes out, you have a dirty or bad sensor. If nothing comes out - you need to drill the hole. Smile You should be able to get a drill in that area by pulling the engine brace off and pulling the battery (and possibly the tray) out of the car.

Frank - you've got me a little concerned now. I replaced my radiator not too long ago and noticed my radiator (Ready Rad) came with a plastic cover over where the sensor went. I pulled this cover off and inserted the sensor, but didn't drill any holes. I THINK the hole was already there ... but now I'm starting to wonder... I doubt I would've missed that, but maybe I did! Seems to me it wasn't very easy getting that cap off ... might've even had to break it off ... can't quite remember. Should probably pull the sensor to see if it's wet.

Wait a minute ... if it wasn't wet, I'd be seeing the LOW COOLANT message (because I KNOW I connected the plug) , so I must be all right ...

I'm curious about that too, I got a new radiator after my accident from Autozone and it had the cap over it too. I just plugged the sensor in and went on my way. haven't had the low coolant light either...hmm strange?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Problems with my car! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: